Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CJian29
New Contributor I

NUC8i7HVK got BIOS update from IDA, but stuck to boot after BIOS update done

Jump to solution

Hi:

As the subject, I got a notification from the IDA, and update it.

After it has done, it just stuck there, and the screen show "Intel NUC" logo and "setup" "BBS" on upper right corner.

Please give some advice to make the NUC back to work, thanks

0 Kudos
78 Replies
Solarfire
Novice
That was clearly the missing step on my final attempt earlier. Previously I had removed the yellow jumper but I had replaced it before giving it a final go with the FAT32 USB.

Trying it all again with the jumper removed did allow the downgrade to v59.

I’ve replaced the jumper onto pins 2-3 and now it’s all back and working with the Crucial M2 NVME as the secondary drive.

Interestingly, on every boot it says very briefly there’s System Update to apply but it never does anything.

Roll on BIOS v62 with the fixes!

Thanks to all for their helpful suggestions!
AllegedBanana
Beginner

I had the same problem with the HVK, downgrading to 59 BIOS worked.

I'm using a Crucial P1 drive

Model: CT1000P1SSD8

I also tried updating to the latest firmware for the P1 but it made no difference, latest firmware is P3CR013

Driver version: 10.0.18362.693 (Standard NVM Express Controller) 

TheSEkk
Beginner

You guys saved me. I was having the EXACT same issue. I was losing my mind all weekend. 

Downgrading to version 59, and removing SSDs while doing the boot recovery were the key. It works! Thank you both!

Obviously I have the Hades Canyon HVK w/ 8809G. 

For SSDs, I have:

Samsung SSD 960 Evo 1TB

and 

Intel SSD PEKKW256G7

strike978
Beginner
@LeonWaksman Thank you very much for helping to resolve this issue for us so quickly and providing the BIO59 file. 

I had the same issue with my unit which uses the  Crucial P1 500GB 3D NAND NVMe PCIe Model number CT500P1SSD8 so reading previous posts with others having the same one can say it's definitely an issue with that SSD at least.

I was able to resolve the issue through using the F4 BIOS Recovery in the power button menu and putting a USB flash drive with the BIO59 file in the front yellow USB slot. I did not have to open the unit at all to mess with any security jumper or remove the SSD.

It did give me a warning about updating to BIO61 again once I was back in Windows after first downgrading back to BIO59 but simply flashing BIO59 again a couple of times again seems to have stopped that. Removing BIO61 from the device manager firmware nor reverting to default settings in the Visual BIOS after first downgrading to BIO59 did not seem to help with it trying to revert back to BIO61 after as I saw with my first restart after downgrading to BIO59 it upgraded back to BIO61 and again had the same issue with it being stuck on the Setup BBS screen.

Strangely it seems you just have to completely turn off the device a few times after logging back into Windows after overwriting the BIOS with the BIO59 file and only turn the computer on by activating the power button menu and use the F4 recovery option at least 3 times in a row in order for it to stop upgrading to BIO61  even if you end up overwriting the same BIO59 a couple of times. Once you stop seeing the windows notification about upgrading to BIO61 on the next restart and just see "System Firmware" under Firmware in the device manager and not BIO61 it seems to be resolved.

CJian29
New Contributor I

@LeonWaksman Do we plan to withdraw 0061 to avoid more customers address this issue?

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @CJian29 

I'm not working for or in Intel. I'm private person, so, I can't withdraw the BIOS from the Download Center. However, since intel Service Engineers are aware about this problem, I can assure you it that they will do this and in short time you will see in Download Center version 0059 or a corrected version with higher number.

Leon

NUC-USMC
Novice

SSD = XPG M.2 2280 SX8200PNP1TB

thanks, hopefully the fix comes soon.

Tags (1)
TheSEkk
Beginner
@NUC-USMC did you try the downgrade with SSDs removed?
NUC-USMC
Novice

Thanks Solarfire and all LeonW for the help.  I have the HVK and am up and running using the steps in your post modified as below for .61 on the stick.

-Removed SSD.

-Inserted FAT32 stick in front, BIOS upgraded (hurray for small steps!)

-Pulled power connector.

- CMOS Battery was reconnected / Security set back to posts 1&2.

-Restarted without SSD, F2 to BIOS.

-F10 to Save. Reboot to no boot device.  

-Unplug power, reinsert SSD.

-Restart, takes a bit longer, but booted to Win10 and I am up and running (for now)

-Have not reinstalled the LED panel will wait for a day or so to see what happens. 

Tags (1)
NUC-USMC
Novice

No.

I had two sticks.  .59 on one and .61 on the other.  

I figured what the heck and tried the .61 first (steps in another reply to Solarfire) and it worked (for now.)

TheSEkk
Beginner
Fascinating. I'm sitting back at the .59 and all is working right... We will see what Intel updates this week.
MRoss5200
New Contributor III

It appears the correct way to get BIOS 0061 to install correctly is to remove the SSD before flashing. The offending SSD is what is preventing the flash from finishing correctly. Don't use the EBU file from Windows, use the BIO file from the F7 flash update key on boot.

1. Remove the SSD, power on the system.

2. Flash to 0061 using the BIO file using F7 Flash Update at Splash Screen.

3. After the BIOS has finished flashing and system boots to a "No Boot Device Detected" message, Power Off the system and install the SSD again. Power On and the system should boot fine from now on using 0061.

I tried this on (4) different Hades Canyon systems with varying BIOS revisions and had no issues with booting or flashing to 0061.

bmoretti89
Novice
@MRoss5200 I would be careful I was able to get my Nuc to work properly with 0061 with one of the SSDs everyone is having trouble with. If my computer crashed I.e. I was working on getting my overclock back after the bios issues. I would then get the freezing issues I had before I fixed it using the method suggested. You may want to artificially crash your systems to see if they can recover properly.
MRoss5200
New Contributor III

Thanks for the warning.

This is why it is always a good idea to reset your BIOS to F9 Default settings before flashing to the new BIOS. Being that your NUC was crashing due to overclocking is not surprising as these NUCs do not have much or any headroom. I have tried many of the SSDs others have said have issues with the last few Hades BIOSs and have not seen any issues so far. Maybe I am lucky and have systems not susceptible to whatever is causing these issues.

AlHill
Super User

@bmoretti89    But....  the i7-8809G is not supported by XTU, if that is how you are overclocking.  Only X and K processors are supported by XTU, not G processors.

Doc

CMA1
Beginner

Just in case anyone has this problem, FYI that I was unable to initiate the BIOS downgrade (using the Power Button Menu) until I inserted the USB stick in the front YELLOW USB port. This was mentioned in LeonWaksman's instructions (thanks again), but I was reading too fast. 

I though my days of messing with jumpers ended 15+ years ago. Thanks Intel!   Was hoping someone might confirm my understanding that by leaving the security jumper in the locked position (2-3), no BIOS upgrade will actually occur regardless of whether I initiate it in Windows, right?  And then at some point when a new BIOS upgrade is available, I revert the jumper in advance of the BIOS upgrade.

My drives are:

• ADATA SX6000NP 500GB (what was installed by Amazon reseller)
  • Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 Internal SSD  (added later)

MRoss5200
New Contributor III

You are correct about the yellow jumper. If it is in the 2-3 position, this is lockdown mode. No access to BIOS Setup or being able to flash update. 

MRoss5200_0-1597100728561.png

The Recovery Jumper has been on Intel motherboards and NUCs for decades. Its function has change a little over the years.

MRoss5200
New Contributor III

Does anyone know what controller these Crucial SSDs have?

I know Silicon Motion has been an issue with Hades BIOSs of late. I can bet that since these are so cheap at the moment (Newegg $59.99 500GB) that they do have the SMI controller. It is a similar controller that is in the AData and some Intel SSDs.

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Here’s what I have been able to ascertain so far:

• ADATA/XPG SX6000NP - RTS5760
  • ADATA/XPG SX6000PNP (SX6000 Pro) - RTS5763DL
  • ADATA/XPG SX8200NP - SM2262
  • ADATA/XPG SX8200PNP (SX8200 Pro) - SM2262EN
  • Crucial MX500 - SM2258
  • Crucial P1 - SM2262EN
  • HP EX900 - SM2263XT
  • Intel 600p - SM2260 (with Intel Custom Firmware)
  • Intel 660p - SM2263 (with Intel Custom Firmware)

Present but unverified as having a role in the hang:

• Intel 760p - SM2262 (without latest Intel Custom Firmware)
  • Sabrent Rocket (older) - Phison E12
  • Sabrent Rocket (newer) - Phison E12S

Verified no role in the hang:

• Intel 760p - SM2262 (with latest Intel Custom Firmware)
  • Samsung 950 EVO - Samsung UBX
  • Samsung 960 EVO - Samsung Polaris
  • Samsung 960 PRO - Samsung Phoenix
  • Samsung 970 EVO - Samsung Phoenix
  • Samsung 970 EVO Plus - Samsung Phoenix
  • Samsung 970 PRO - Samsung Phoenix

Did I miss any drives?

...S

TheSEkk
Beginner
Happened to me too with these drives, but didn't isolate to see which.

Samsung SSD 960 Evo 1TB

and

Intel SSD PEKKW256G7