Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CJian29
New Contributor I

NUC8i7HVK got BIOS update from IDA, but stuck to boot after BIOS update done

Jump to solution

Hi:

As the subject, I got a notification from the IDA, and update it.

After it has done, it just stuck there, and the screen show "Intel NUC" logo and "setup" "BBS" on upper right corner.

Please give some advice to make the NUC back to work, thanks

0 Kudos
78 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Yes, that's a Intel 600p.

...S

Solarfire
Novice

@n_scott_pearson  I have a Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1Tb and a Crucial CT1000P1SSD8 1Tb installed as primary and secondary drives respectively.

After flashing to v61, it was only the Crucial that stopped the Hades from booting, it was fine with the Samsung.

With the Crucial in Slot 2, it would hang on POST but with the Crucial removed it booted perfectly.

The Samsung is my boot volume,  the Crucial is only a data volume so I don't believe it's related to any OS boot storage drivers.

n_scott_pearson

Thank you.

I know they're mostly blissfully unaware of the issue, with hopes that some of them are online checked things out, I would also love to hear from folks who are not seeing the hang with the model numbers for the NVMe drives they have installed.

...S

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi Scott,

Did not observed any problems with the Intel 760P SSD, updated with the latest firmware (005C).

Leon

n_scott_pearson

Thanks Leon, that's good information. The mention of 760p was in a two-drive configuration and the other drive could have been the cause of the hang.

...S

NUC-USMC
Novice

Have to admit to cracking a smile when I saw "I thought my days of messing with jumpers ended 15+ years ago.

I am a packrat, dug around and found a kit with jumper tweezers, chip pullers and an ancient tube of the gunk used between the processors and cooler fan.

Cheers!

Tags (1)
NUC-USMC
Novice

My drive is XPG M.2 2280 SX8200PNP1TB.  Did not update until pulled.

n_scott_pearson

FYI - If you're seeing the infamous BIOS update loop, this is caused by the fact that EBU (Express BIOS Update) uses the Windows firmware installation subsystem. This subsystem checks if the BIOS was successfully installed during the reboot and will automatically reschedule the installation if not. The way to stop this is to delete the firmware device entry in Device Manager.

Hope this helps,

...S

MRoss5200
New Contributor III

I did finally see the BIOS POST hang on HN0061 using a WD Blue SN550. I had tried a bunch of Samsung 970 EVO & 960 EVO SSDs. Also a WD Black SN750. None of these failed to boot after the BIOS update except the WD Blue. Removing the affected drive allowed the system to boot normal. With one of the other drives that did not fail, the system boots fine.

Like Scott said, if you look in the Device Manager, under "System Firmware", BIOS 0061 shows with a yellow bang. Uninstalling the driver and deleting the installed files with the checkbox will prevent the system from trying to reinstall the BIOS again on reboot.

Not sure what controller is on the WD Blue drive but I do know there have been issues with a number of SSDs that have an SMI (Silicon Motion) controller. So if anyone runs into this boot issue, pull any SSD out and do a jumper recovery back to BIOS 0059.

JanatSAIC
Beginner

This answer worked well for me.  I recovered to BIOS 059 using the security jumper method and can now boot my systems into Windows.  I have a Intel Optane 880p M2 drive.  Strange that Intel would create such a problem for themselves.

One issue I do have is that when I boot the system normally it re-updates the BIOS to 061.  I have to then recover to 059 to make the system useful.  Does anyone know where the update is hidden?  It appears to be in the BIOS since the system never gets into Windows before the automatic update.  I've looked around in the Visual BIOS but don't see any setting that will turn off the automatic update.  Anyone have an idea?

Thanks

Solarfire
Novice

The answer is in the post immediately above yours from @MRoss5200 

"if you look in the Device Manager, under "System Firmware", BIOS 0061 shows with a yellow bang. Uninstalling the driver and deleting the installed files with the checkbox will prevent the system from trying to reinstall the BIOS again on reboot"

HTH

JanatSAIC
Beginner

Sorry, I see the answer.  I didn't know there were four pages of replies.

powerarmour
New Contributor III

Late to the thread... (account issues!)

Just to add my experience with this 0061 BIOS issue, I'm predominantly a Linux user and have my main install on a Samsung NVMe SSD-970 EVO in slot A, and then an Intel Optane 16GB MEMPEK1W016GAXT in slot B as a test drive (no OS).

I do however have a Crucial BX300 480GB with an install of Win10 Pro, and I connect this to my NUC8i7HVK with a UASP AS2115 USB3.0 to SATA adapter and boot it via the F10 menu.

I'd been running my Linux installation after updating the BIOS to 0061 from 0059 for at least a week fine, but then a few days ago I booted into Windows and then immediately had a hang on shutdown, it was only then when I manually held the power button to shutdown and then tried to restart that I had the bootloop you've all noted.

Obviously to fix this wasn't too difficult (e.g. flash back to 0059), though due to the ME firmware update in 0061 this obviously can't be done via the F7 menu, and you need to either hold the power button for a few secs and F4, or remove the top lid and remove the jumper.

What I am a bit annoyed about is that 0060 was pulled also, and you'd think enough testing was done with this one, especially with the new ME firmware preventing an easy rollback, no wonder there has been issues etc.

n_scott_pearson

Hang on shutdown is a totally separate issue. If you want to discuss it further, open a separate conversation for it.

...S

powerarmour
New Contributor III

Hi @n_scott_pearson 

No need to discuss it further, was just sharing my experience with this issue.

I'm fully aware a hang is a separate beast, but it did initially trigger the first BIOS hang I had on 0061.

beninoz
Novice

Ok, so I had the issues with the bios version 61 as I'm running 2 Crucial P1s. A 500 gig as my boot drive and a 1 terabyte as my data drive. I see version 63 is out. Has anyone tried it yet and have the issues with 60 and 61 been fixed? 

CJian29
New Contributor I

I start a new thread to track the 0063 with https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-NUCs/Is-BIOS-Update-HNKBLi70-86A-safe-to-upgrade/m-p/1206670#M7....

Based on the current status, it's still not safe to upgrade.

beninoz
Novice

i'll check it out

NUCem
Beginner

Thanks @CJian29@LeonWaksman

I too went through several hoops and hurdles after I upgraded my NUC-Mini to BIOS61.

Your guidance was crucial to the recovery of my system by reverting to BIOS59; and I did not need to open the computer at all or mess around with the jumper.

Great job fellas and thanks!