Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
archon
Novice

NUC8i7HVK missing both ethernet adapters

Hello. I am a new user of NUC8i7HVK, here is the problem I got.

I disabled both primary and secondary Lan adapter before the initial installing of Windows10, after that I re-enabled them but those two lan adapters are forever gone.

I tried reseting the network system in Windows10 and it didn't work. Then I tried to install the lan driver, the driver told me there was no intel adapter in my system. I thought it might be something wrong with the chipset driver, again it didn't help. No matter how I enabled or disabled the lan adapters in BIOS they are totally unrecognizable.

So at last I completely formatted my hard disk and reinstalled Windows10 with the checkbox of both lan adapters in Visual BIOS checked, still none of them was recognized.

I have checked the system information by HWiNFO64, I see no network adapters other than WLAN. I saw a diagram in user manual showed those two lan adapters were attached to two PCIe 1x ports on PCH so I also checked the PCIe Buses, once again I saw only a WLAN adapter, other PCIe 1x ports were all empty.

It seems there is definitely no any LAN adapter in my system.

So here is my questions, how can I completely clear the BIOS setting of NUC8i7HVK? I doesn't think this is a hardware issue, I know in common PCs the only thing I should do is simply removing the jumpers on the motherboard, but on NUC8i7HVK the only jumper is "BIOS Security", I read the user manual and followed the instructions, removed the jumper and powered on, there do was a DOS menu after the system was powered up and I had selected Restore or whatever anything like that 'coz I couldn't remember clearly at this moment. After that the system restarted several times like it was really restoring but when I entered the Visual BIOS I saw all the settings I made before were still there.

Will "Load default setting" in Visual BIOS perform a factory reset?

BTW, I found a topic here with almost the same issue of me. I wondered if he had solved his problem or not.

0 Kudos
17 Replies
SChau10
New Contributor II

Something (possibly in BIOS) has caused the device nodes of both Ethernet subsystems to be disabled, so Windows can't see them so their corresponding devices drivers don't load.

Three things I can think of to reset BIOS to defaults (as an attempt to re-enable the two Ethernet):

1. Use F9 in Visual BIOS
  2. Detach 3V coin battery from motherboard for several minutes then re-attach
  3. Use jumper recovery procedure to flash latest BIOS

The odds of both Ethernet subsystems suffering hardware failures should be low. This one sounds like a BIOS settings issue where the enable/disable options for Ethernet in Visual BIOS don't work i.e. both Ethernet stuck in disabled state.

BTW, are you using your NUC8i7HVK in UEFI mode or legacy (BIOS emulation) mode?

archon
Novice

Thank you first. I had tried detaching the coin battery before but not as long as several minutes. I'll try again later. But I guess that is the RTC battery, maybe nowadays UEFI bios will save their settings in NVRAM so I doubt that if it works or not.

I had tried F9 several times, I guess it just performs the same as I check the checkboxes.

I also had tried the jumper recovery, but haven't yet try recover BIOS using .BIO file. I'll try it later.

I am using the NUC in UEFI mode. Does it support legacy mode? I see no setting about that.

SChau10
New Contributor II

On many NUCs the UEFI mode & legacy mode are controlled by checkboxes within the Boot page of Visual BIOS.

Which BIOS revision is your NUC8i7HVK currently running?

I'm thinking out loud here, and this may not be your situation at all, but recently I discovered an issue with my NUC7i5DNHE (Dawson Canyon) where disabling the internal M.2 2280 SSD slot in Visual BIOS also disables the Intel Ethernet Connection I219-LM. This is 100% reproducible with latest BIOS and has been reported to Intel. I was looking for a way to temporarily disable an installed PCIe M.2 SSD to boot the NUC from network, when I discovered that the I219-LM Ethernet also got disabled so PXE boot became impossible.

Your best chance may be to invoke jumper recovery with a USB flash drive containing a copy of the latest BIOS 0053 (HN0053.bio).

During jumper recovery, an additional section called "Descriptor area" gets flashed ahead of the usual blocks: Intel ME firmware, Boot Block firmware, Main Block firmware, etc. AFAIK, this is the most complete recovery/reset procedure for NUCs. If this does not restore the functionality of the two Ethernet, then the NVRAM contents of your NUC may be borked beyond restoration, so it may be time to contact Intel for a warranty replacement.

One trick I've used to some success is to intentionally change the memory configuration, e.g. add a second SODIMM or remove one from a pair. Such a change forces the BIOS to go through complete memory retraining. Without a detected memory configuration change, BIOS may go through a shortened power-on/warm boot sequence so any subsystems stuck in an erroneously disabled state may not get detected/corrected before control is passed to storage for OS boot. There's of course no guarantee that changing memory configuration will help here, but at least it is easy to try.

archon
Novice

You're really giving good suggestions. I'll follow them later.

To your questions, yes I am running the newest version of Visual BIOS, version 0053 now. But the UEFI checkbox in Boot page is checked and unable to modify.

I am not at my NUC right now, I'll post the result here as soon as I go home tonight.

archon
Novice

​Alright, I just spent several hours dealing with the BIOS, sadly the problem is still there.

I detached the coin battery for about 2 minutes and then performed a BIOS recovery from a 0053 BIO file in a USB flash drive by removing the BIOS Security jumper. It looked like it did flashed completely including the Descriptor section. Then I removed one of the DIMM and powered on the NUC, a string on screen told me the memory was decreased.

But still nothing happened after I entered Windows10, further more when I re-entered the UEFI BIOS, all the settings I made before were still there, nothing changed except some Errors in the Event Logs at the right bottom of the Home Page telling about RTC or BIOS Checksum failure.

So it seems that even the BIOS recovery doesn't lead to a factory reset. So if there is something wrong with the settings of the UEFI BIOS, it's not able to correct it by end users I guess.

I'm sorry that your instructions didn't take effect, maybe I still need some more help.

SChau10
New Contributor II

I forgot to mention the coin battery disconnect requires the AC adapter to be unplugged first, in order to induce a complete power loss for the motherboard. Hopefully you did this. Standby power from the AC adapter takes the current load off the coin battery to keep the RTC alive, so disconnecting the coin battery while the AC adapter is still plugged in will not constitute a total power loss.

User made settings in BIOS not getting reset by jumper recovery is not a good sign.

I'll defer to Intel or other forums experts on what the next step should be.

archon
Novice

Yep. The AC adapter was removed last night, I know it's necessary to remove all the power supplies but thank you all the same.

I'm looking for other solutions or waiting for the next BIOS to see if it's solved by intel. Will intel record this case I posted here? I thought this would be the official forum right?

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Yes, hopefully Intel Customer Support is still paying attention and they will be replicating the issue. Let's reference a few just to make sure...😉

...S

@AmyC_Intel

@Bryce_Intel

@Ronny_Intel

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

I would add that you should leave the battery out for at least 15 minutes. The state of the CMOS can sometimes take this long to completely clear.

Don't forget to set the date and time in Visual BIOS afterwards.

...S

archon
Novice

OK I'll give it another try, this time for 20 minutes.

Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello archon Thank you for posting in the Intel Community. • Since we feel confident that the issue is related to a setting with the unit we recommend trying the following again. • Load the BIOS defaults. • Remove all storage drives and 2nd memory (leave only 1 stick of memory in the unit). • Remove all input devices except for a wired keyboard and mouse. • Perform the BIOS Recovery using the Jumper Method. • Load the BIOS defaults again and confirm the LAN ports are detected as boot options. (Do NOT disable them and do not make any other changes in the BIOS). 1. If still not visible: • Contact the contact the reseller if less than 30 days or the nearest Intel’s support Center (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/location/worldwide.html) for the replacement options. 2. If LAN parts are detected: • Install the storage drive only and test if can boot into Windows. • In the Device Manager, scan for new hardware. Check to see if the Ethernet ports are detected, and or have any error codes (i.e.: Code 43). • If the unit continues to have issues, Please attach to this thread the TXT file the Intel® System Support Utility will generate: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility • Steps to save the report: 1- Run the utility. 2- Click on “Scan” to get the scanned system. 3- Once the scan is complete click on “next”. 4- Use the “save” option, save the report to your desktop. 5- To attach a file, you must click the “Attach” option on the bottom left-hand corner of the response box. Hope this helps. Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
archon
Novice

​I have already tried the whole procedure you told me, but sorry it doesn't help.

After I loaded the default settings again after the BIOS Recovery, I confirmed both LAN adapters were enabled(checked), the Boot Drivers list was empty, UEFI Network booting was disabled by default in Boot page. Still I cannot find any adapter when I boot into Windows.

I remembered when I got the NUC the BIOS version was a little old, so I upgraded the BIOS to the newest version while both LAN adapters were kept disabled. Does this matter?

BTW below is the SSU report.

Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello archon I was checking your case and would like to know if you need further help. If so, please do not hesitate in replying back. Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
archon
Novice

​Thank you very much, I'll post the result as soon as I get back to my NUC.

Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello archon

I was checking your case and would like to know if you have any update on about the testing?

Regards,

Leonardo C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello archon I was checking your case and would like to know if you need further help. If so, please do not hesitate in replying back. Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello archon Thank you for the information. In this case if after all the steps performed you still are not able to load the Ethernet adapters I would recommend contacting Intel® local support (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/location/worldwide.html) for warranty options. About the BIOS updates it is not recommended to making a big jump from an old BIOS version to the Latest because there are firmware version changes in between the BIOS releases, for this matter, you can refer to the BIOS releases notes to find detail information about each BIOS version details. Hope this helps. Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation