Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Novice

NUC8i7HVK no longer turns on...

So I returned my Hades Canyon which wasn't detecting my SSD, bought another with the hopes that it would be problem-free. This is my second Hades Canyon and it doesn't turn on anymore. Shut it down one day, tried turning it on another day, no lights no response.

I was able to get it to turn on once more by unplugging the CMOS battery for 10-15 minutes, reconnecting it, but the device would not continue to power on successfully any future time. I tried the CMOS battery trick again as a workaround, still no luck. Please help or let's get a return going?

Thanks,

Robert

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Super User

I would return this NUC too. See the following thread for additional "tricks":

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

You are updating the BIOS to the latest available version, right?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

I was able to get something to happen. Got to the BIOS jumper menu, bios was 0048 at time of first incident. Just got it updated to 0049 because I was occasionally getting a CMOS Checksum failure and thought to update to latest to hopefully restore a good BIOS. However still cannot get the system to POST.

Getting to the BIOS Jumper menu involved me clearing out the m.2 slots and keeping only the stick of RAM installed that was closest to the motherboard.

I'm on most recent BIOS, have reinstalled the BIOS jumper into the original position, tried rebooting, still no luck. Sometimes I get power lights and an attempt at POST and no reason as to why. If I'm lucky I get a message saying system has failed POST numerous times, would you like to go into Visual BIOS settings. Other times I just get no response to the power button.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello bgonz808,

I was wondering if you tried the steps recommended by lw1948 and N.Scott.Pearson. I can see that you updated your BIOS to version 0049. Were you able to check the Power LED blinking Codes?

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/mini-pcs/nuc-kits/NUC8i7HVK_TechProdSpec.p...

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Hi,

System does not POST at all. I barely can get into BIOS to update. I managed to force it to take BIOS 0049 which it said had flashed successfully, but getting into the menu was a pain since it was only letting me get to BIOS if the three following conditions had been met:

(Removed SSD and kept only 1 DIMM installed, nearest the motherboard)

1) Remove BIOS jumper

2) Remove CMOS battery for 10 minutes or so, then reconnect

3) Plug the power supply in and don't try reconnecting, or else you have to repeat steps 1 and 2!

Currently in the process of exchanging this Hades Canyon for another. Hopefully the third time is the charm (my first was the one that quit detecting m.2 devices)

Robert