cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idata
Community Manager

NUC8i7HVK will not turn on after turned off for a period of time

Hello all,

Sorry for the trouble, I have just picked up a brand new NUC8i7HVK on 7/25 and absolutely loves the performance.

Out of the box I have updated the BIOS to the latest 047 and have had no issue at all running.

However, if I leave the NUC turned off for more than a day or so(not exactly sure how long, as so far it only happened twice)

the NUC does not turn on at all by pressing power button. I had to unplug the power supply plug at the back and plug it back in then

everything is back to normal. I can turn on and off without issue, it is only when the unit has turned off for a period of time.

The skull and power button LEDs also had a similar issue but only happened once so far. They did not turn on if the unit has turned off for a period of time and

only will work again when I unplug the power supply plug and re-plug again. It kinda feels like they had to be "reset". But the NUC did turn on that time, only

the above mentioned LEDs stayed off. Not sure it could be related but I thought I would mentioned it anyway.

Right now I have reset the BIOS to default setting and turned the NUC off to test how long before it won't be able to turn on again.

Could this be power supply related? I have also moved to a different plug on the surge protector to test. Other than this, it works without any issue.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hello xpandabl3,

I understand that you have been experiencing some issues when turning ON the system after keeping it off for more than a day.

This problem could be experienced if the power adapter of the unit is not working properly, it is highly recommended to try a different power supply if possible for troubleshooting. Also, doing a BIOS recovery of the unit could fix any possible problems that the previous update could have appeared, please refer to the link below for instructions of how to do a BIOS recovery:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005532/mini-pcs.html https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005532/mini-pcs.html

If the BIOS recovery does not solve the issue, then you could try to leave the unit off for 1-3 days but with the SSD disconnected, and after the final day, try turning it ON again to see if the power button and LEDs react, we have a unit on-site and we always leave it off during the weekend, we have not experienced any problems when pressing the power button after a few days of being off.

Please let me know the outcome.

Regards,

David V
idata
Community Manager

Hello David,

Thank you for the tip. So far it hasn't happened again yet it's been almost a day and the unit turned on without issue.

Due to the LED getting stuck issue I have now flashed back to 034 BIOS as suggested by another user.

I will continue leaving the unit off for longer 1-3 days to see if it happens again. I will report back my findings.

Thanks

idata
Community Manager

Hi David,

I have been doing testing with different BIOS and default settings and whatnot, I believe

I have concluded that the NUC not being able to turn on only happens with BIOS 047 once

the system has been off for more than 4-6 hours.

I have flashed back to 040 as it is mentioned as the most stable BIOS so far....see if there

is anymore issue. As for the LED getting stuck, for me it happens on all firmware from 034 to 047

no matter what I tried. It happens randomly between turning off and on. Sometimes it gets stuck

right away after turning off and on, sometimes it would work for better half a day then get stuck again.

I have also tested in sleep mode, LED seems to work without issue. It is only when turning off and on for my

unit.

Let me know what you think and if there is anything else I can try.

Thanks

idata
Community Manager

Hello xpandabl3

Thank you for your response.

Could you try to clear the CMOS battery on the Intel® NUC?

Steps:
  1. Unplug the system.
  2. Remove the top cover and let cover.
  3. Unplug the CMOS battery cable for 5 to 10 minutes (see attached picture).
  4. Assemble the Intel® NUC.
  5. Boot the system.
Test the system and let me know the output.

Hope this help.

Best Regards,

Leonardo C.

idata
Community Manager

Hi Leonardo,

Thanks for the help, I will try that as well to see it helps.

It turns out I was wrong regarding 047 BIOS as I couldn't turn on my system again after being turned off for about 8 hours even on 040 BIOS with complete default BIOS setting.

However something strange happened this time when I reset the power. When it rebooted, the NUC turned on and off for few second once before having screen. Now in the BIOS, it is showing Flash Update Failed(15) and the time is the same time when I reset the power and turn the unit on. I even got a BSOD saying System_PTE_Misused when trying to windows but this only occurred once. Any idea why this happened?

I have now restarted my testing with BIOS recovery to the latest 047 with 100% default setting and connect only mouse and keyboard and a monitor via HDMI. I have moved the power adapter connected straight to the wall socket instead of a surge protector.

So far no BIOS flash error, or the BSOD from before. Turned it off for 3 hours and turned it on without any LED issue. Now letting it sit at least 6 hours to see. I will try the CMOS reset if it cannot be turned on again.

Thanks for the help.

idata
Community Manager

Hello xpandabl3,

I can see that so far the error has not occurred anymore; however, I would like to know if after letting it sit for 6 hours, the error happened again. Are you still experiencing the problems? Did you try to do the CMOS reset?

Please let me know .

Regards,

David V
idata
Community Manager

Hello David,

Thank you for the reply.

After several days of testing, I finally found out the reason why the NUC behaved this way.

I was very surprised myself....but It turned out it was the HDMI port at the back causing this issue.

However, this issue only shows up when it is connected to a HDTV. In my case, it was connected directly to LG's 65UJ658T 4KTV.

I do have a Sony 55X9000E 4KTV I could test but at this point I am going to take a break. I am no expert but I suspect this is maybe related to the HDMI CEC as only the rear HDMI port supports it.

My TV's ARC function is turned on and the CEC function does work fine with the NUC though. i am guessing CEC's auto on/off

function could be bugging out the system over time since it has to listen to signal all the time. Below is a breakdown of what I have done to eliminate each possibilities.

All tested on BIOS 047 flashed with BIOS recovery+CMOS reset+100% default BIOS settings

Memory used: Crucial 2666mhz 16G(8*2)

SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB+Samsung 860 EVO 1TB

Each consecutive interval includes turning on, full load into Windows, restart to check BIOS for error

and turning off. Only the rear HDMI port with CEC is used.

1. Using 27" Dell P2416D 2560x1440 Monitor+only mouse+KB USB dongle 

No Ethernet port connected, using direct wall outlet.

3H - OK

8H - OK

8H - OK

9H - OK

27H - OK

6H - OK

2. Using 65" LG 65UJ658T 4K TV+only mouse+KB USB dongle

No Ethernet port connected, using surge protector under TV, switched

to direct wall outlet later. I have reset the NUC each time the LED get stuck.

15H - Using surge protector, power on without issue, but LED stuck in off state

4.5H - Switched to direct wall out, power on without issue, but LED stuck in off state,

1H - Power on without issue, but LED stuck in off state

24H - Cannot turn on at all, had to reset by unplugging AC power cord.

1H - Now with HDMI disconnected, power on without issue, LED also works.

4H - OK

12H - OK

I hope my simple testing helps for your team to maybe replicate the issue. Maybe a future BIOS update could

remedy this issue. Perhaps other users who experienced the LED problem may be related to using the rear

HDMI port as well. I have just purchased a mDP to HDMI active adapter to test with the TV again. For now,

my unit works flawlessly as long as I don't use the rear HDMI port directly with the TV.

Thanks again.

idata
Community Manager

Hello xpandabl3,

I am currently reviewing the information and I will attempt to replicate, if possible, the issue that you are experiencing. Please allow me some time, I will be getting back to you as soon as possible.

Regards,

David V
idata
Community Manager

Hello David,

Thank you for the update.

I would like to update the mDP to HDMI adapter. It is confirmed for my unit the rear HDMI port seems

to be bugging out the unit only when it is connected to my LG HDTV.

By using the mDP of the NUC instead, it has been free of any issues. The unit turns on and off correctly

without any LED getting stuck. I was able to adjust the BIOS to my own settings as well.

If there is additional information you require, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Thanks.

idata
Community Manager

Hi David,

Seems like another user has reported exactly the same issue with LED getting stuck

in off state when turning on by using the rear HDMI port connected to HDTV.

Below is the link.

Hopefully you are able to replicate this issue and provide a fix soon.

Thanks

idata
Community Manager

Hello xpandabl3,

Thank you for your response and patience.

I have been trying to replicate the problem but the issue is not present in the device we have here. I would like to know if you are still experiencing the same problem or not. Please let me know so we can try to investigate further.

Regards,

David V

idata
Community Manager

Hello xpandabl3,

I am following up with your case and see that we have not heard back from you.

Are you still experiencing the problem? It has been tested by us and the problem is not present so I would like to know if you are still experiencing it?

If you need more assistance do not hesitate to reply.

Regards,

David V
VPasy
Beginner

Good day. I have the same problem. When I disconnect power from NUC, it stops working - not even power on, only helps to turn off the battery BIOS and tooks out the ssd drive. Please help me, i can not understand why it so. (tried to use different ssd and BIOS versions - no result). :(