Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
Announcements
The Intel sign-in experience is changing in February to support enhanced security controls. If you sign in, click here for more information.
12546 Discussions

NUC8v7PNB - HDD Activity LED fails to show 2.5" SATA SSD Activity

Jess2
Novice

I have several NUC8v7PNBs that all fail to show hard drive activity when I use a 2.5" SATA SSD.  They do show hard drive activity when using a M.2 NVMe SSD and when using a M.2 SATA SSD.  It also does not show hard drive activity when using a M.2 to 7-Pin SATA adapter.  The BIOS versions range from v037 to v043.  Behavior is the same whether using the built in BIOS feature to show activity on the power LED and when using the pins on the front panel header.  Intel support is no longer responding to my support ticket and won't test the configuration.

Questions are:

1.  Has anyone else observed this behavior?

2.  What options are there to fix it so that the NUC8v7PNB will show hard drive activity when using the 2.5" SATA SSD?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Jess2
Novice

Intel has recognized this as a problem and is working on a test BIOS to address the issue.  No guarantees that it will work, but at least I have confirmation that they agree there is an issue with the NUC8v7PNB.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

What M.2 to 7-Pin SATA adapter are you using? If this adapter does not directly expose the SATA lane provided in the M.2 connector, then there is no way that its access can be associated with the Drive Access LED. If there are pins offered by the adapter for the (optional) hookup of an LED, this is a good indication that the adapter is not using the  SATA lane from the M.2 connector.

...s

Jess2
Novice

Thank you for replying!  That's a good point about the M.2 to SATA adapter.  However, that's not actually the primary way I need to use the SATA from the NUC8v7PNB.  I mention it because it's an interesting data point.  I need to use the 7-Pin SATA port that is built onto the NUC8v7PNB.  Note that port also does not specifically have access to the Device Activity Signal.  Yet, with the previous NUC versions, this was never an issue.  The NUC6 and NUC7 showed the hard drive activity on the LED.  Don't know where the LEDs for the NUC6 and NUC7 got their signal from.  Maybe where ever the SATA controller is hosted?

Jess2
Novice

Intel has recognized this as a problem and is working on a test BIOS to address the issue.  No guarantees that it will work, but at least I have confirmation that they agree there is an issue with the NUC8v7PNB.