Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
Announcements
The Intel sign-in experience is changing in February to support enhanced security controls. If you sign in, click here for more information.
12545 Discussions

NUC9 Quartz Canyon (NUC9vXQNX). TB3 Dock + Screen

munklarsen
New Contributor I

Hi,

I have a NUC9vXQNX and I'm trying to connect a TB3 dock to and then connect a screen to that dock. However, I'm unable to get the screen to work.

I've tried multiple docks and multiple screen but it doesn't work.

Running the latest Windows 11. Docks show up in Windows just fine.

Am I running into some kind of issue where it's just not supported or am I hitting a bug?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
munklarsen
New Contributor I

I have actually spent many months thinking about this issue and it had never occurred to me that the system automatically disabled the onboard iGPU if it found a GPU in the PCIe-slot. The BIOS is apparently pre-configured to do this.

As it turns out, if the iGPU is disabled, the drivers for that GPU is also not installed. And both are apparently required to let the TB3 dock pass-though the signal.

Anyways - solution is:

• In BIOS
    • Enabled the iGPU
    • Set the default GPU to the PCIe GPU (PEG)

Then it works. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Have you updated your TBT driver?

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19402/thunderbolt-3-and-4-dch-driver-for-windows-10...

Have you updated your bios?

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19514/bios-update-qncflx70.html

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Waiting for Windows 12]

munklarsen
New Contributor I

Thanks for your reply.

BIOS is updated and TB3-driver is updated. Wasn't running the newest version but the version just before. Anyways, result after update is the same as before. 

Also, forgot to mention that the system has a 3060TI in it. 

munklarsen
New Contributor I

I have actually spent many months thinking about this issue and it had never occurred to me that the system automatically disabled the onboard iGPU if it found a GPU in the PCIe-slot. The BIOS is apparently pre-configured to do this.

As it turns out, if the iGPU is disabled, the drivers for that GPU is also not installed. And both are apparently required to let the TB3 dock pass-though the signal.

Anyways - solution is:

• In BIOS
    • Enabled the iGPU
    • Set the default GPU to the PCIe GPU (PEG)

Then it works. 

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

I have a Quartz Canyon with this same NUC9vXQNX Compute Element in it. I have an Anker PowerExpand 7-in-1 Thunderbolt 3 Mini Dock connected to it and a Seiki 24" 1080p TV connected to it via HDMI connector. I've spent time with Windows 10 and now Windows 11 installed on it. Works great; no issues.

I also have an NVIDIA RTX 2060 Graphics Card in this PC, with two 24" 4K monitors connected to it. As an experiment, I swapped one of these monitors to the TBT dock and the TV to the GFX card and everything kept right on chugging. The 4K monitors are both connected at 60Hz, even through the dock.

Just to push things, I also connected an NVMe SSD (via USB-C 3.1 Gen 2 NVMe adapter) to the dock. The 4K monitor continued to chug along at 60Hz without any glitching, even while I ran a Crystal DiskMark test against this SSD. The DiskMark scores were on par (read slightly lower, write slightly higher) with the scores when the drive was plugged into the second TBT3 port on the QNB.

Hope this helps,

...S