Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
12142 Discussions

NUC9VXQNB Ethernet connection drops overnight

Barrett
Beginner

NUC9VXQNB
Version K47179-402

The ethernet connection drops over night every night.  By connection, I mean I can ping dns, and nslookup works, and so on, but cannot connect to anything via browser.  I have laptop on same switch, no problem.  I have tried flushing DNS, release and renew, and the only thing that works is a reboot.  I tried connecting via wireless to same switch as laptop, same result.  Tried different browsers, same result.
When I set this unit up, I used IDSA (as I always do on NUCs) and I have had to resolve the video bugs previously, so currently I have latest everything according to IDSA.
I did notice, however, that IDSA has both the "Intel® Ethernet Connection (7) I219-LM" and the "Intel® I210 Gigabit Network Connection" listed and the I219-LM is disabled.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Good question! Intel has managed to seriously screw up the search engines available on their sites.

Here is a search that lists the driver packages available specifically for this Compute Element: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/search.html?ws=text#q=NUC9VXQNB&t=Downloads&layout=table.

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

11 Replies
n_scott_pearson

You need to very carefully peruse the list of IDSA exceptions. A lot of drivers are not installed or upgraded by IDSA and thus you get whatever is sitting (often incorrectly attributed) in the Microsoft Catalog. IMHO, you should NEVER start with IDSA. It is the tool to use once you have everything installed properly.

Off my soapbox now... (I seem to be preaching a lot this evening)

...S

Barrett
Beginner

Ok, so what do you recommend next?

Do I go to the Intel drivers page and get the drivers specific to this unit and then remove and reinstall the ones that are different?

n_scott_pearson

Yes, absolutely. IDSA does a crappy job and only supports a subset of drivers (even on NUC products). During a new Windows install, you should always install the Chipset Device Software (a.k.a. INF Update) and Management Engine packages and rebooting before installing IDSA. In fact, I recommend that you download the entire set of driver and software packages ahead of time, so that you can install them before Windows Update ever has a chance to screw things up (and it WILL screw things up!). Order doesn't matter; do them alphabetically if you wish. Once all are installed (and you've rebooted a final time), only then should you allow an internet connection.

This is what I do and it always works perfectly. I have done hundreds of installations this way. While I do put IDSA on many of these systems, I do not trust it to update everything because it doesn't (read the Intel Driver & Support Assistant Exclusions list), even on Intel products like these NUCs.

Hope this helps,

...S

Barrett
Beginner
Barrett
Beginner

How do I make sure I get the right list of drivers?  I have noticed there are a lot of possible pages for drivers in the past.

n_scott_pearson

Good question! Intel has managed to seriously screw up the search engines available on their sites.

Here is a search that lists the driver packages available specifically for this Compute Element: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/search.html?ws=text#q=NUC9VXQNB&t=Downloads&layout=table.

Hope this helps,

...S

Barrett
Beginner
Barrett
Beginner

On this same topic, I regularly buy NUCs for control systems and install them on the back of an open frame Elo Touch monitor.  I just bought another 2 NUCs the first one was a BXNUC10i3FNH1 and the other is a BXNUC10i7FNH1.

I already installed and put into service the BXNUC10i3FNH1, and as you stated I was never really sure based on all the searches I did whether the web site was giving me the absolute correct drivers.  I am about to install win10pro on the i7 right now.

How do I determine exactly what drivers I need to install on these units?

I am not a developer, no extra anything, just the most solid drivers is all I need.  In my case the only thing I do other than put Opto22 software on this NUC is touch screen control.

Based on your previous reply, I entered the following URL:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/search.html?ws=text#q=NUC10i7FNH&t=Downloads&layout=table

Is this correct?

n_scott_pearson

Yes, that is the correct page. The latest Ethernet driver package for Windows 10, referenced there, is available for download here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/645997/intel-ethernet-lan-network-connection-driver....

...S

Barrett
Beginner

I still have the problem above.  I just made another attempt to fix the driver problem on the intel nic.  The nic is reported by system info as being I219LM.

I downloaded driver lan-win10-25.6.exe and ran it.  It ran ok, and after running checked device manager and the same driver was still there, "Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (7) i219-LM".  I tried disabling and rerunning the 25.6 install.  No luck, I tried uninstalling the old driver, shortly after I remove it, it automatically reinstalls....then I tried disabling it and the wifi adapters, then reran install.  No luck, the old drivers re-installed themselves.....it's like a stinking virus...I ran the install program again and it asked if I wanted to remove all network connections, I responded yes, and it ran and after finishing checked device manager and again, here are the old drivers....

BTW, this is with the system properties-hardware-device installations settings set to NO.

Any thoughts?

Barrett
Beginner

Ok, just went into apps & features, and noticed that the Intel Network Connections 25.6.0.4 is installed as an app...???

If it is installed, then why do the drivers report a whole different story?