cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Novice

NUC9VXQNX - Not booting - power button blinks 3x

Hello,

I have a NUC9VXQNX that is not booting up. I get the three blinks on the power button when I plug in the power. 

Computer was working very well for a couple of days. I've been monitoring temperature and it's also been running very cool (both SSD's and CPU <50C idle, 90C busy). I was experiencing graphics issues with the integrated graphics (occasional flickering, screen blanking while playing YouTube while driving my monitor 5120x1440) so I went into the BIOS settings and adjusted the graphics memory from 128 to 1024 MB. Then I saved and exited and the power light has been blinking three times.

I've tried:

- Reseating the memory

- Replacing the memory with two other sticks DDR4-2400 Crucial 16GBx2 1.2V CL17

- Unplugging the battery to reset the CMOS

- Removing all the memory

In all cases, I can't get to the BIOS, nothing comes up on the screen. The power light will blink 3 times.

I'm at a total loss and would appreciate any suggestions. I'm using this computer for work (a specific licensed program) and so need this up fast...

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

NO! Changing the graphics memory settings ACCOMPLISHES NOTHING!! These parameters are not used at runtime; they are only used by the BIOS. Besides, the kinds of issues that you are seeing have nothing to do with the VRAM assignment; the VRAM assignment is automatically adjusted based upon current needs. Worse, by setting the value to 1024, you have exposed a (unfortunately longstanding) bug in the AMI BIOS that causes BIOS POST to hang.

Try entering the BIOS using the Power Button Menu. That is, when you power on, hold the Power Button in until you see the Power Button LED flash and then release. In a short time (may take up to 15 seconds), you should see the Power Button Menu displayed. Use F2 to enter BIOS Setup (Visual BIOS) and reset the BIOS configuration.

Hope this helps,

...S

Highlighted
Novice

Thank you for the reply! Always interested in why things are happening even if doesn’t directly fix my issue. That 1024 issue you mentioned is interesting...

I tried the hold power button down until it blinks to get the menu to come up but was unsuccessful. Holding down the button does nothing but shut the computer off. 

In talking with Support I tried the bios jumper trick first to reset the BIOS and then to overwrite the BIOS (BIOS jumper plus USB) with no success. 

Intel doesn’t have these in stock so I was advised to do a return with the retailer.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

1. Press and hold power button - count: 1001, 1002, 1003, 1004. Release power button.

2. Wait about 2 minutes and click on F5. 

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Thanks but wasn’t working. I was using that trick before to bring up the menu before and it’s pretty straightforward—meaning as soon as the light blinks you let go and the menu comes up.

However, this time the button’s behavior is different. Can’t get any display at all. Unit is getting replaced.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

My intention was to click on F5 even if you don't see  any Power Button Menu (just 2 minutes after releasing the Power Button).

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Doesn’t work.
0 Kudos