Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

NUCi3RYH UEFI USB boot incorrectly detecting device

I work with several NUCi3RYH's. I was using one of them to build a master Window 10 image using audit mode/sysprep. I have 2 USB flash drives and an external USB hard drive that I use in this setup. One flash drive is the Windows 10 installation media, the other flash drive is bootable media for the disk imaging software I use, and the external hard drive is where I store the images. My NUCs boot in UEFI mode. Last night while attempting to reinstall Windows I noticed that the my Windows install flash drive was being detected as the imaging flash drive. The Windows install drive normally shows up in the boot menu as "Lexar USB Flash Drive 8.07". But this time it showed up as "JetFlashTranscend 8GB 8.07" which is my imaging flash drive. No other USB devices were connected except my Windows install drive (Lexar) and my Logitech wireless keyboard/mouse dongle. If I try to boot from it anyway the screen flashes black for a split second like it fails to boot and then comes right back to the boot menu.

It might seem like it is a problem with the Lexar flash drive but I can take it to my other NUC's or other computers and it is detected with the correct ID and boots as expected. Even more strange is that if I boot with both flash drives connected the Transcend will appear as normal but the Lexar will then be detected as my WD Passport which is the external HDD that I use to store my images. If I try booting with all three drives connected then The WD Passport shows in the menu and two instances of the Transcend show up as well. One of them will boot with the imaging software, the other one (clearly the misidentified Lexar) will cause the screen to flicker and come back to the menu. If I boot in legacy mode the drive will show up with the right label but it can't boot because the drive is setup only for booting in UEFI mode. If I boot in mixed mode the drive will be listed twice, one in legacy mode with the correct lablel and one as UEFI with the incorrect Transcend label. If I boot into Windows all devices are detected properly. This issue occurs regardless of which USB port I connect the drive to. This issue seems isolated to UEFI mode on this particular NUC.

I have tried restoring to the BIOS to factory defaults and I have updated the BIOS to the latest version (0361). Nothing changes. Previously it was running BIOS version 0356 when the trouble started.

Can anyone help me figure out what is going on here?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello joelkolb,

Thank you for contacting the Intel community.

I personally have not seen issues like this before, the other NUCs that you use to test the flash driver are the same model NUC5i3RYH?

Try turning off your system and unplug everything, the power cable, the flash drives and HDD, keyboard, mouse etc, leave it like that for a few minutes and then assemble it back on and check again.

Please let me know how it goes.

Regards,

Ivan.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Yes, all my NUCs are model NUC5i3RYH. I have already tried what you mentioned, disconnecting power, removing all components and leaving it off. I've left it off for several hours in this state before attempting to use it again. I have also used the jumper method of BIOS recovery and just for the heck of it I also swapped out the RAM and hard drive with one of my other properly working NUCs. It made no difference. It is very odd that it manages to retain some kind of memory of previously connected USB storage devices for it to transpose their labels with my Lexar flash drive despite having been power drained, having RAM replaced and having the BIOS cleared. I would think that the jumper BIOS recovery would've cleared anything it's "remembering". There must be some way to truly hard reset this thing.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Just to confirm, you get this issue only with one unit out of the other ones, correct? If yes, this unit must be defective or it has corrupted BIOS, do you have this issue with all the units you have of the same model? I'm asking because if it is only this one unit we can replace it for you; remember that the Intel® NUC has three years warranty.

I'm offering the warranty because honestly I don't see other way to fix this issue than a BIOS recovery but you already did that.

However, I sent you a PM in case you want warranty for the unit.

Best regards,

Ivan.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Correct, it is only on this one unit. My other NUC5i3RYH's behave just fine. It looks like I'll be going the warranty replacement route. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello joelkolb,

I sent you a PM for warranty information.

Regards,

Ivan.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello ,

I'm following on this post to ask you if your issue has been resolved or if you need further assistance.

Regards,

Ivan.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Yes, the issue is resolved. The replacement unit is working great. Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Thank for your response, I'm glad that the replacement unit solved your problem.

Best regards,

Ivan.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

I'm having the same problem as@joelkolb and and one extra symptom. It will show the USB UEFI device but if I select it to boot from the screen just flashes quickly then goes right back to the boot selection menu.

And I'm seeing this on at least 2 of the NUC5i3RYH and I've updated to the latest BIOS on all 3 NUC and only one will boot to the latest Win10_64-Ent 1709 boot media.

Please help has there been a fix found for this issue?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

For us to further assist you and to help you with the specific problem, please create a new thread, make sure to add all the details in regard to your system. This way the next agent will have a better look at your specific scenario, you can add this thread as a reference but I recommend creating a new thread in order to isolate your case.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos