Hello - I m about to receive my ne new NUC. (Intel NUC i5SYH | 540s SSD 480GB 2.5" | Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) SODIMM Memory )
Can I get set up instructions right from Power-On?.
I have seen videos on inserting SSD/M2/Ram into NUC. Now I m looking for Power-On until Win-10.
FYI- I have all HDMI cables Monitor, USB mouse. I have already ordered Win-10 USB driver.
1) However i m not clear if BIOS is already part of the NUC kit or I need to download (link needed if so) into any USB driver and then boot up?.
2) Will the BIOS USB drive part of the KIT ?
3) OR i can simply Power-ON and the BIOS is pre-loaded?
Thanks in Advance.
OF COURSE the BIOS/UEFI is a part of the NUC, but you should update to 0042 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25913/BIOS-Update-SYSKLi35-86A- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25913/BIOS-Update-SYSKLi35-86A- asap (I use the F7 at the Visual BIOS to flash a new version (it's a little bit difficult to find the correct drive which contains the SY0042.BIO))...
BTW: What is "I have already ordered Win-10 USB driver" ??? W10 supports USB3.0 out of the box...
Here you will find the latest driver https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/89190/Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC6i5SYH https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/89190/Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC6i5SYH maybe you download it at another PC so you can use it at the W10 installation
I would use this order:
- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25911/Chipset-Intel-Chipset-Device-Software-for-Intel-NUC Chipset: Intel® Chipset Device Software for Intel® NUC
- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25396/RAID-Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-for-Intel-NUC-Ki... RAID: Intel® Rapid Storage Technology for Intel® NUC Kits NUC6i[x]SY and NUC6i7KY
- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25929/LAN-Intel-Gigabit-Network-Connection-Driver-for-Inte... LAN: Intel® Gigabit Network Connection Driver for Intel® NUC Kits NUC6i[x]SY and NUC6i7KY or https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25928/Wireless-Intel-Wireless-Technology-Based-Driver-for-... Wireless: Intel® Wireless Technology-Based Driver for Intel® NUC Kits NUC6i[x]SY and NUC6i7KY
- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25842/Graphics-Intel-HD-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-Wind... Graphics: Intel® HD Graphics Driver for Windows 7*, Windows 8.1* and Windows® 10 for Intel® NUC Kits NUC6i[x]SY and NUC6i7KY
and then what ever you want / need...
because of the '540s SSD' I found this: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/solid-state-drives/consumer-ssds/intel-ssd-540s-serie... Intel® SSD 540s Series
hegenious is right Correct - Win-10 purchased from Amazon Copy Paste > (Microsoft Windows 10 Home 32Bit/64Bit Retail Pack English INTL for 1 PC/ User (32 & 64 Bits ON USB 3.0 INCLUDED) - Full Retail Pack)
BTW - its "He"hausmeister99 - Thanks for the links. Let me read little bit before asking some more Intelligent (dumb ) questions.
This chat forum needs some improvement - Can I not mark all responses are CORRECT ?
thanks for the links. Looks like i m going in circles and this opens up doubts about how smart I'm
first it says "Download the latest version of the .BIO file from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/ Intel® Download Center and copy it to a USB flash drive or hard drive." > then I browse to NUC6i5SYH > bunch of many links > ( Again my smartness question) anyways then I click "BIOS Update [SYSKLi35.86A]" > guess what? it comes back to the original link you have provided above .
Anyways I see 4 downloads on the left. Can you help which one is right for the NUC6i5SYH ?
Should I download the last one? "SYSKLi35.86A.0042.EB.WINPE64.EXE" because its the biggest file ( ) and again it is written that there is issue with EBU
Looks like I will need do some more reading ...
No, make sure you download SYSKLi35.86A.0042.EB.EXE, the one without WINPE64 in the name. Download and save for later use, once Windows is installed. It's important that you update to BIOS 0042 as soon as possible.
note on the BIOS download page::
There is an issue using the Express BIOS update (EBU) method to update from BIOS SY0033. If your Intel NUC currently has BIOS version 0033, follow these instructions.
This note very probably does not apply to your NUC, because very probably your NUC comes with BIOS 0024 or 0028 pre-installed when you power it on for the first time.
Actually, the method hausmeister99 is referring to can be done before you install Windows, but it is a little harder and to be honest is for the experienced computer user.
Might I add that completely setting up and tuning the NUC6i5, although easy for the computer savvy person, may prove hard and intimidating for a beginner.
With all due respect, a laptop with everything pre installed might have been a better choice for such a user.
I would like to, but I see no way how I can walk you through the whole NUC setup, by only exchanging messages on a forum.
So I recommend you to get help from some one you know well. Don't you have a colleague, uncle, cousin or friend that knows his/her way around computers? Ask them to help you
Another option is to ask a professional computer technician for help.
I guess these are your best bet for now, really.
ha ha ha . I agree.
NUC is for two reasons. 1) its for someone I want to set it up and hand it over as one box solution as a desktop (Gifting).
I will be purchasing one more NUC with M.2 (OS and Roon) +SSD (Audio files ) for audio application only. Install Roon on it and stream FLAC files to my audio system through ETH or USB. Will I need Win-10? Linux ? what ever works
and Yes it will be intimidating for me . I will take help from computer professional for sure. Wanted to try out.
from your description looks like I can boot up, and then load win-10 and then update BIOS (after win-10) correct ? [ don't answer if you think its too trivial - I'll understand ]
Yes, that's the correct order.
In short, the steps are:
1) Open the NUC and insert RAM and insert SSD (just follow the youtube video instructions).
2) Connect the power supply to the NUC and then insert the WIN-10 USB stick you ordered.
3) Connect a USB keyboard and mouse. Not wireless, as these may not yet work at this point for lack of drivers.
4) Power ON.
5) Keep hitting the F10 key repeatedly until you are in the BOOT menu.
6) In the boot menu, select to boot from your Win10 install stick, UEFI mode.
7) The PC boots into the Windows 10 install routine. If you are presented with a choice of 32bit (x86) or 64bit (x64) for your Windows installation, you must choose 64bit.
8) Follow the Windows setup.
9) Once Windows is installed, you will find that the LAN and wifi are not working for lack of drivers. Download the network drivers from Intel onto a USB stick on a PC that has Internet.
10) Once your NUC is connected to the Internet, Windows will pull in all other drivers within a few hours, if you want to make sure you have the latest drivers, download them from the Intel driver download page and install them manually.
11) Update the BIOS to version 0042 asap by downloading and running SYSKLi35.86A.0042.EB.EXE from within Windows. It doesn't hurt to read the Release Notes first.
This is as short as I can make it, hope this helps, good luck.
Thank you Will update once I do all those above. This is perfect and I can easily imagine doing all the above. Very easily described than put it in a cryptic manner.
Thank you for joining the Intel communities.
I suggest following hegenious recommendations, just follow them step by step and you will be fine with the NUC.
I followed hegenious' method as above which tbh is a sensible order for anyone used to self-builds and who reads forums like these first,so they know potential pitfalls.
And so here I am a few hours later, posting on a new 6i5syh with 16GB HyperX ram & 512GB Samsung 950 pro.
All drivers & bios updated, Windows 10 Pro and all my software installed just the way I like.
Very concise instructions hegenious,
Jnan_Devi_Roon, RobbieF and Intel thank you for the positive feedback, much appreciated!
@Intel Moderators, is it possible to mark this thread as sticky? I think it may be helpful for the user that wants a 'one-stop' step by step guide.
Hello Quick Update.
the system is built and up and running .
Thanks to "hegenious" for taking time in writing those lines step by step. I would wish these were made available at the beginning of any page with maybe formalized texting (not that above has issues, I did not have any issue).
I was not dumb after all . Its not that people are dumb in not knowing how to set it up. But the anxiety to do correctly rather fail and make the product useless.
FULL marks to Hegenious. Thanks!.
I'm glad that all this information has been useful for you and I hope it can be useful for somebody else. Jnan_Devi_Roon I hope you can have a great experience with this unit now that you have it up and running.