cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

New DCH Thunderbolt drivers and Windows 10 1903 woes

Hi guys,

after upgrading to the now officially available Windows 10 1903 I am having a hard time with my Thunderbolt connection, specifically Thunderbolt networking.

When sending data over a Thunderbolt network connection, it simply fails. No data is being transferred. Strangely enough, receiving data over this connection works just fine.

Are these drivers not 1903-ready yet? I am using 1.41.645.0.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Highlighted
Valued Contributor I

[edited] I use my USB-C ports for driving a monitor and Universal Audio Arrow (power & data) audio interface. I was noticing drop-outs on my UA Arrow during DAW recording playback and seems to have been resolved with the complete OS rebuild.

I'm not kidding, to get the NUC8i7HVK to work properly with the latest TB driver, I had to do this after messing with every conceivable check:

1. Had to go into BIOS and reset to defaults (BIOS vers. 054)
  2. Rebuilt the OS completely, not repair, rebuild (I repaired it twice, the second time in disbelief), including disk wipe
  3. (not required) opened up the unit and threw some canned air at it, and re-seated all of the possible hardware (not the cooling)
  4. Purchased a brand new 40 Gbps TP3 (40Gbps) cable (I needed a backup, but ended up swapping it in as part of diagnostics and never swapped back out)
  5. Before allowing Windows to automatically update:
  • Applied the latest Networking driver
    • Applied the latest Chipset driver
    • Set Power Options to High-Performance

Let MS update to the latest public release. Did nothing for 24 hours (the updates took an especially long time too).

Then applied the latest TB driver and it worked. But the driver is now different than before:

• Missing from the System Tray is the Thunderbolt program icon.
  • You now need to access it from the apps list and pin it to your taskbar
  • The app interface is completely different

Just my experience. I didn't have a restore plan and that would have made this incredibly simpler! Restoring isn't painful any longer, unless you don't do a DR backup often enough or simply don't understand. In this case I was being lazy. Not any more!

Mike

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

So did you actually experience the same issue I did (Thunderbolt Networking not sending data)?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor I

I swapped out the new TB3 40Gbps cable with the old, and low-and-behold, it appears to be a duff cable.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

I have said it before, 90% of the time, it is the cable.

...S

Highlighted

Oh, and I do have and wear the "Have you tried turning it off and on?" and "Have you tried unplugging it?" T-shirts.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor I

😁

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello SPicc, When running a Windows* 10 preview build, systems are prone to instability, which may cause Windows* to stop responding while running applications or performing a specific task. It may also have bugs and errors since these versions are not stable. From our side, we recommend sending your feedback to Microsoft*. For more information, please refer to Microsoft Support and the Windows* Insider* Program. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us https://insider.windows.com/en-us/ Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
Highlighted

Good response Wanner!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor II

I just did some quick Thunderbolt networking testing with my NUC8i7BEH and NUC7i5BNH interconnected with a StarTech 0.5m 40Gbps TB3 cable. Both NUCs have the latest 1.41.645.0 TB3 driver installed along with the Thunderbolt Control Center app. File transfers & Remote Desktop connections going both ways appeared to work properly.

I also upgraded the Win10 versions of both these NUCs from 1809 to 1903, one NUC after the other, with their TB3 ports remaining interconnected via the StarTech TB3 cable. Thunderbolt networking continued to work normally through the whole upgrade session, as far as I can tell.

This indicates the 1.41.645.0 TB3 driver can work properly with Win10 versions 1809 and 1903.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor I

I second Mr. Pearson's reply.

After the TB installation kerfuffle and a freshly rebuilt NUC, I stood up my laptop for the Windows and Office 365 Insiders programs and left the NUC to normal updates so as not to introduce the instability you refer to. Oh, the other reason is that if something does go wrong, I can reach out knowing that from an OS build perspective, the public domain drivers from Intel are tested on the latest PUBLIC release of Windows OSs.

During the sign-up for the Insiders program, they make it abundantly clear that you will experience system instability because they tell you in progressively obvious ways that signing up for the program is a guarantee you will need to rebuild and start over again at some point, if you are also using the device as your main computer.

0 Kudos