Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

New NUC Cannot Find SSD To Install Windows 7

I have a i3 or i5 NUC (it is not on me right now) and I'm trying to install windows 7 from a bootable USB. I have fixed the boot usb to use the mouse and keyboard on usb 3 inputs (thank you for that), but now I'm unable to have windows recognize the SSD, which is a Samsung 960 EVO.

Samsung only has an executable to run on an existing system to install their drivers, so at the moment i cannot find legitimate drivers to give to the windows install process.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Beginner

I found this how/to which has worked so far - I have a recognized SSD and installation has begun.

However, I do not know how it works, so that is scary.

https://www.klaus-hartnegg.de/gpo/2017-03-27_Win7_on_Samsung_SSD_960_M2.html Howto Install Windows 7 on a Samsung SSD 960 Pro (M2)

The steps include installing and using a Wix toolset which i don't know much about either, which is found here

http://wixtoolset.org/documentation/ Documentation

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

The instructions "www.klaus-hartnegg.de/gpo/2017-03-27_Win7_on_Samsung_SSD_960_M2.html " are correct, however in order to help you with the installation, I'm attaching to this post a Samsung NVMe driver I've used already.

1. Unzip this file and copy the directory with the driver's files to the root of your Windows 7 installation USB stick.

2. During installation the UEFI mode shall be enable in BIOS (default settings). The UEFI is mandatory for NVMe drive installation.

3. During boot press F10 to get the Boot Menu. You shall choose the UEFI line with your installation USB.

4. When you will see the screen where you are requested to select the drive for Windows installation, install the NVMe driver (point to the directory with the driver files) and after the driver will be installed, your SSD will recognized by Windows.

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Leon, thank you for the posted steps.

The steps did work to get Windows 7 installed, however once installed the support for USB 3.0 was removed and I could not finish windows setup.

Specifically the link in my first post enabled USB 3.0 support on the Windows 7 boot USB, but after the installation finished there was no USB 3 support and neither mouse nor keyboard could work.

Due to the incredible amount of time used researching issues with drivers I have elected to install windows 10. I did not want to do this, but I simply don't have the time to continue researching these problems.

Sincerely,

Adam

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Installing Windows 10 is the right choice.

Leon

0 Kudos