Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
Announcements
The Intel sign-in experience is changing in February to support enhanced security controls. If you sign in, click here for more information.
12545 Discussions

New NUC11PAHi5 user couple of questions

MViper
Beginner

Hey guys.

I've never had a NUC. Beforehand I had custom build itx machine with i3 3225 and GT1030. I used it for basic windows functions and Kodi player.

My other gear is LG C6 and Yamaha RX-V583. NUC is connected to AVR via certified HDMI cable.

Now the questions:

1. If I enable HDMI deep black mode on LG TV all I get is blank screen. It works fine if I connect NUC directly to TV. It worked fine on GT1030 (NUC is connected to AVR HDMI1 same as was GT1030). ?

2.  Modern Standby. NUC is near my bed. It woke me up couple of times during the night. Any way (except Windows 10 reg edit) to disable this crap??

3. Due to Modern Standby crap I went with hibernation mode just to have a silent machine during the night. But there's another problem. If I set 4k@60Hz resolution and than put NUC into hibernation mode. When it wakes up it's not on 60 Hz (Intel Graphic app says it's 60 Hz but it's not) but 30 Hz. I know it from a jerky mouse movement. So I need to switch refresh rate to fix the problem.

W10 21H2 with latest updates.

Latest Iris xe drivers 

Latest bios

Everything is updated to latest version from intel website.

Any help would be awesome. Thanks 

0 Kudos
34 Replies
Steven_Intel

Hello MViper,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In order to better assist you and investigate about these issues, please provide the following information:

- Download the Intel® SSU https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- 

Open the application and select "Everything" click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View". Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".  

To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".  

- In Windows, look for the Intel® Graphics Command Center > Go to Support > Click on System Diagnostic > Click on Generate report > Save the report as a .txt file and attach it to your reply.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Steven G.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

MViper
Beginner

Hey Steven

Here's the report. 

Steven_Intel

Thank you for your response.

Could you please provide as well a graphics report? In Windows, look for the Intel® Graphics Command Center > Go to Support > Click on System Diagnostic > Click on Generate report > Save the report as a .txt file and attach it to your reply.

Regards,

Steven G.

MViper
Beginner

Here you go.

Steven_Intel

Thank you for your response.

We are currently working on this issue, and as soon as I have an update I will let you know.

Could you please clarify where are you enabling the deep black mode? Is that a feature from the TV or from the AVR?

Regards,

Steven G.

MViper
Beginner

HDMI Ultra HD deep colour is LG TV function for bit depth, chroma subsampling AND for enabling HDR mode in Windows.

https://www.lg.com/ca_en/support/product-help/CT20098005-1437131182045

Steven_Intel

Thank you for the information provided.

We are currently working on this issue. As soon as I have an update I will let you know.

Please feel free to reply if you have any concerns.

Regards,

Steven G.

Steven_Intel

Hello MViper,

I apologize for the delay in response.

While we are still working on this issue, please provide the following information:

- Model of TV used with the NUC.

- Are you using any video adapter to connect the NUC to the TV, or is it a straight connection?

- Is there any TV firmware update pending? (if applicable)

Regards,

Steven G.

MViper
Beginner

Really Steve?

I explained all this in my first post.

LG C6 OLED '16 model on latest firmware.

No video adaptors. NUC is connected via certified HDMI cable into Yamaha RX-V583 audio/video receiver. And TV LG C6 is connected to Yamaha as well.

And everything worked fine (with different PC with nvidia GT1030 graphic card) - HDMI deep black mode & no refresh rate bug .

Steven_Intel

I appreciate the information provided.

We are currently working on this issue. As soon as I have an update, I will let you know.

Regards,

Steven G.

Steven_Intel

Hello MViper,

We appreciate your patience on this. Please perform the following steps:

- Perform a BIOS recovery following the Power Button Menu method in this article: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000033291/intel-nuc.html We know you have the latest version installed, but there were some graphics and wake fiexes in the latest version and we would like to test that too.

- Provide the S States conf, another device may be waking up the NUC.

Regarding the 60Hz-30Hz problem, we are testing the behavior and will let you know once we have the results.

Regards,

Steven G.

MViper
Beginner

Hey Steven

OK, let me first elaborate what I tried:

Connected brand new, bios and everything untouched NUC to AVR - no picture

- tried different hdmi cable (some expensive hdmi 2.1 48gbps cert one) - same

- connected nuc via hdmi to some old 24" HP LP2475W display - everything worked okay

- while connected to old display I've updated bios and left everything else on default - still no picture

- tried connecting NUC directly to TV via hdmi - worked in somewhat limited experience, 4k@30hz

- connected NUC back to Yamaha AVR

- switched Yamaha AVR HDMI settings to MODE2 (limited hdmi functions) - worked but again only on 4k@30 hz

- switched HDMI deep black mode off in LG TV settings - everything worked okay but without deep black mode there's no bit/chroma/hdr settings in windows.

Regarding waking NUC..

I've disabled every S states and it was still randomly waking up during the night. On Anydesk/Teamviewer app it was clearly

seen as online but couldn't connect. The light in power button was lit as it was on. Modern standby as you guys intel-ligently 

implemented in bios without option to turn it off was causing this nonsense. I've finally solved the problem with reg edit parameters:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\ModernSleep
Then delete the EnableAction key and other sub-keys of ModernSleep

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power
click on the Power Key and select New>> DWORD (32-bit) value
Then name the key as PlatformAoAcOverride and let its value set to the default 0

After reboot I even hot back classic power settings options in windows.

Do you still want me to recover bios?

MViper
Beginner

SitRep update

Today I tried newest bios (xxx053).

LG HDMI deep black mode worked after bios update. I've also installed latext IrisXE drivers (30.0.101.1191).

The problem is when I put NUC in sleep/hibernate mode it freezes completely. I need to hold power button for a long time to restart nuc. After that it works but still only up until sleep/hibernate. Then it freezes again.

With LG HDMI deep black mode turned off everything works fine.

MViper
Beginner

SitRep2:

I disabled "Native ACPI OS PCIe Support" and NUC now goes to sleep nicely. But still freezing when entering hibernation mode.

I found out that LG HDMI deep black mode has nothing to do with freezes. It works only partially though. It works fine until I switch HDMI channel (let'ssay from HDMI 2 to HDMI1). After that I can't get any picture back on. Black screen. It's got to do something with NUC HDMI port. With the newest bios (043 not 053 I apologize) there's now at least some picture although it blacks out when switching HDMI channels on AVR.

Steven_Intel

Hello MViper,

Thank you for the update and the steps performed.

Based on the information, we are working on this case. As soon as I have an update, I will let you know.

Regards,

Steven G.

Steven_Intel

Hello MViper,

After investigating about this, and based on the fact that the HDMI deep black mode works when the NUC is connected directly to the TV, the problem is related with the AVR. As well, if you would like to disable Modern Standby, this is not supported by us, as it is more of a Windows registry hacking.

We recommend you to contact LG or the AVR manufacturer for further assistance regarding this specific issue.

Best regards,

Steven G.

MViper
Beginner

Steven. It's not AVR. It worked flawlessly with nVidia graphics. I've also contacted Yamaha support and their exact words were:

-------------

Thank you for your enquiry.
For your reference, your case number is .

For 4K, the 4K MODE1 is the right one, as you had with the "old" HTPC. There are no other settings for this. If 4K LG HDMI deep black mode worked with the HTPC and no longer with the new NUC, it will be due to the settings of the NUC. Please contact the manufacturer for this.

Thank you and best regards,

Yamaha Customer Service and Support

--------------

Look... LG HDMI deep black mode pre 00043 bios didn't work at all. No matter what. With 00043 bios it works better. There's at  least some picture. But still not perfect.

Just yesterday I was toying around;

- turned off everything (NUC in sleep mode)

- turned on TV and enabled LG HDMI deep black mode

- restart TV

- turned off TV

- turned everything on (avr, nuc, tv)

- everything worked fine until I rebooted NUC

- after reboot when I switched HDMI channel back and forth on AVR the picture on NUC was off. Couldn't get it back on until I disabled LG HDMI deep black mode and restarted TV. Also the sound of a movie playing on NUC was stuttering.

It's got to do with NUC HDMI port. It needs fw update or bios update. And yeah, same is happening if I plug it directly into TV. Just checked.

Regarding Modern Standby. Can you make bios switch to turn it off like in previous versions of NUC? Friend have a NUC8 and doesn't have these kind of issues. AFAIK modern standby is on NUC10 and newer. And it had option to turn off but not anymore. Annoying a b it.

Steven_Intel

We are going to keep working on this issue based on the information you have provided. As soon as I have new information, I will post it here.

Best regards,

Steven G.

Steven_Intel

Hello MViper,

Based on the research we have performed about this issue, this maybe a compatibility issue with the deep black mode feature and not with HDMI itself, even though the feature works better now than before. The last option we recommend you is to contact LG support in order to verify this information.

Please let me know if you have any concerns.

Best regards,

Steven G.

MViper
Beginner

Hey Steven

There's something between NUC HDMI port and deep black mode obviously. Looks like HDMI port on NUC doesn't support something that nVidia port supported. What is that I do not know. I don't know what you guys did in last bios regards to HDMI but it's getting better. Still not there though.

I'll contact LG but I'm afraid I already know the answer. I'll post it here.