cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

New NUC6CAYHL no video output

New unit.

Beeps through front headphone port when no ram is present.

Installed 1.35V 1600 ram, power lits up and stay solid, but has no video output through hdmi. Even the splash screen doesn't show up, just no video signal. However when plugging in the hdmi cable with the unit powered the monitor would come out of sleep, tell me there's no video signal and go back to sleep.

I do not have any VGA equipment to test the VGA output.

Attempted to bring up the power button menu, still no video output. Tried the jumper methods (remove, move to 2-3 pin), no video output.

Tried the jumper bios update method, nothing happened.

Tested ram with all possible configurations, still no video output options.

Ram spec: M471B5173QH0-YK0.

Please let me know what's I did wrong.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

What kind of monitor is connected to the HDMI input? [Aside: It shouldn't actually matter for the BIOS splash screen and Power Button Menu, but there are some connectivity issues if the monitor is requesting a higher resolution than the HDMI cable can actually support. For example, a >2K monitor will require a good quality, high-speed (18Gb/s), HDMI 2.0 cable and might not connect if the cable cannot handle the data flow.]

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I've tried a Benq, a Dell, a Asus and a Samsung monitor, three 2k and one 1080p, and none worked. I've used three different hdmi cables during the process, all were working with other inputs but didn't work with the nuc.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

Normally, at this point, I would be saying that there is definitely something wrong with this NUC and you should contact Intel Customer Support directly to request a replacement. This NUC is a special case, however; we know that this NUC's processor is very finicky when it comes to DRAM access. I would first try removing and then reinstalling the SODIMM(s). If that doesn't work - and despite your SODIMM(s) being on the compatibility list (and being verified as having 4Gb ICs, not the 1Gb/2Gb ICs that cannot be supported) - it still might be prudent to try a different SODIMM before adding the NUC to the goner pile.

If you want to move forward with getting a replacement immediately, you need to directly contact Intel Customer Support to initiate the RMA process (you cannot do this through the forums). Here are pages where you can lookup contact information, including local phone numbers, sorted by geography:

You can use the online forms service or email, but I actually recommend calling them directly. The above links provide local or toll-free numbers in most countries and support most local languages. You could also use the chat service (start here: http://intelsupportchat.force.com/icslivechat/ics_tech_desktop_ww_english_Chat), but understand that this service is offered in English only and is subject to the normal (9:00-5:00 M-F) office hours in the Pacific (UTC-8) time zone.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Thanks for the reply. This is actually the second unit intel sent me, and I'm now convinced that I'm doing something wrong to not having video output, since it's quite unlikely I got two bad units in a row.

I will order another pair of rams and see how they perform.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I've ordered a new memory stick Kingston KVR16LS11/4-SP, and it works! Thank you for your suggestion!

Now I just need to figure out what to do with the two samsung sticks....

0 Kudos