Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CAdam13
Beginner

New NUC7i7BNH - CPU Core Temp Running at 70c While Idle

Jump to solution

Hello,

I recently purchased a NUC7i7BNH and installed a 250GB Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD and 8GB of Crucial RAM. I flashed the BIOS to BNKBL357.86A.0060.2017.1214.2013 and installed Windows 10 Pro with no problems. However, the fan was running louder than I'd like. I went into the BIOS to adjust the Fan Control Mode to "Quiet," but that didn't seem to have any effect. I even changed it to "Fanless" and still no improvement. The fan constantly runs at 3,400 RPM according to the BIOS, but I noticed that the CPU Core Temp is running at 70 degrees. I wouldn't expect the temp to be that high in the BIOS. Am I mistaken or is there something wrong with this unit?

Thanks in advance for any input.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

When you are in BIOS Setup, all power management features and interrupts are disabled. This means that you could see higher-than-expected temperatures in this state and you cannot conclude whether anything is wrong.

I find that the supplied fan speed control configurations are nigh on to useless. I suggest that you use a customer configuration. Here is what I use:

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

3 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

When you are in BIOS Setup, all power management features and interrupts are disabled. This means that you could see higher-than-expected temperatures in this state and you cannot conclude whether anything is wrong.

I find that the supplied fan speed control configurations are nigh on to useless. I suggest that you use a customer configuration. Here is what I use:

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

CAdam13
Beginner

Thanks, Scott, for your informative response. I set the fan settings to what you described, and the fan is quieter when system is idling in Windows 10. Just wish I could say the same when there's even a slight load on it.

AShep1
Novice

HI,

Have you blown some air through the fan and cooling fins ?

After about six months of running, my NUC I7 needed it it. Solved the issue.

Techno,