Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HWest2
Beginner

No attatched thyunderbolt device to my NUC6i7KYK

I am trying to attach ASUS ROG station 2 to my NUC.

I have installed "Thunderbolt™ bus driver" and when I "View attached devices" there is nothing there.

I have installed the latest Bios "KYSKLi70.86A.0050.2017.083" and selected Devices/Thunderbolt in BIOS setup.

When I run "Intel Driver and Support Assistant" everything is up to date.

I have also attatched DxDiag.txt to this question.

What to do ?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
AShep1
Novice

DaddyNUC,

HI. I'm not a support person, sounds like you are doing the right steps. Your attached file did not contain "C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\tbt100x.inf_amd64_06f4e100c3b7119c" reference. There are no file references to TBT; that is the prefix for Thunderbolt.

Could you just verify the Thunderbolt icon is in the lower right hand area of the task bar. Also under device manager, under system, one of the list items is TBT or Thunderbolt adapter. Please right click properties to see if it is working ok.

Might be a wild goose chase. Just want to be sure.

Thanks.

Techno.

HWest2
Beginner

Thanks for your reply.

I have no thunderbolt icon on my task bar at start. But if I start Thunderbolt software I get one and when I then click "show hidden icon" then there is the thunderbolt icon.

I have no TBT under device manager/system, so I cant right click on it.

Also when I connect the thunderbolt cable I get the message: "No active Thunderbolt controller found in the system or Thunderbolt software is not present in the system......"

AShep1
Novice

Hi,

Most welcome. Here is the Thunderbolt driver URL from Intel so it is safe: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26052/NUCs-Thunderbolt-Bus-Driver-for-Windows-10-for-Intel... Download Thunderbolt™ Bus Driver for Windows® 10 for Intel® NUC Kit NUC6i7KYK

Once that is installed, be ready to do a reboot. The reboot is not needed. I like to do them after new software is installed so there are no surprises on the next reboot. Get any issues out of the way as they come up. I did not have any.

The only surprise was Windows 10 asking "Do you wish to allow Thunderbolt connection"

Good Luck,

Techno

HWest2
Beginner

Thanks again but it makes no difference.

What I did was to remove old version and the to run the setup.msi again. I restarted my computer but no Thunderbolt Icon.

The problem is still there.

HWest2
Beginner

To be continued....

When I run the Thunderbolt software setup everything seems to be ok.

There is a catalog "C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\tbt100x.inf_amd64_06f4e100c3b7119c" who has a file tbt100x.inf included.

But, when I run: pnputil.exe /e > c:\drivers.txt the Thunderbolt driver was not listed in the file drivers.txt.

So, for some reason the driver is not registrated ??

AShep1
Novice

(smiles) A worthy challenge for us.

Driver not registered? Hard to tell. Even if "ThunderboltService" is found in the registry; that does not explain why the driver is not there. I know, "TBT" one place, "ThunderboltService" another. (waves hand in the air) Different groups building different parts.

Lets look one level down but not as deep as the registry.

Does the Thunderbolt driver show up in Device Manager under System ?

Techno

HWest2
Beginner

No, I cant find Thunderbolt driver.

I selected "show hidden devices" but no thunderbolt driver.

AShep1
Novice

Ahhhh - I am not sure what to suggest.

I believe the driver shows up even when nothing is connected.

Let me do some googling and try a few things. I hope someone from Intel support chimes in.

Update # 1 - Yes the Thunderbolt driver still shows up under device manager, under system at the bottom when *nothing* is plugged in to the NUC6i7KYK. Rebooting Windows 10 has no effect.

DaddyNUC, I'm suggesting this is a windows / driver issue. "Tom's Hardware"(http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/thunderbolt-performance-z77a-gd80,3205.html Everything You Need To Know About Thunderbolt ) or "Stack Exchange" (https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/285819/accessory-thunderbolt-ports-on-thunderbolt-monitor-... Accessory Thunderbolt ports on Thunderbolt monitor not working - Ask Different )

A note about "Stack Exchange" - ask only. They are brutal about "less than optimal answers". I have been burned a couple of times. Treat Stack Exchange like the ORACLE at Delphi. (Larry Ellison, CEO of ORACLE inc, is kinda the same way - hence the all caps. Interesting story if you look it up; but I digress)

Please let us know.

Happy belated New Year.

Techno

HWest2
Beginner

One step forward...

Now Thunderbolt controller shows up under device manager.

I am not realy sure why...

I think this happened when I walked into Thunderbolt/settings and unchecked both questions.

And when I select Thunderbolt/About I can see Controller driver version etc..

So, now I can run the "FwUpdateTool.exe" ver. 25

But when I have to select a bin-file (question 3), (Intel_NUC_AR_HR_2C_B1_rev25_W_TI_1_7_0_SEC1_sign.bin) and press Next, I get the message: "Error 0x010A 266 Error while getting the PD firmware version."

Any idea what this problem is?

HWest2
Beginner

One step backward...

Now Thunderbolt controller don't shows up under device manager after I uninstalled and the run Thunderbolt Software setup wizard..

And now I can't run the "FwUpdateTool.exe" ver. 25

My question is how I can attach the thunderbolt driver?

AShep1
Novice

Darn, one step backward.

Since you have uninstalled and tried reinstalling the driver there has probably been a few reboots. Not restarts but reboots.

I assume you have also run "Check for new hardware." This is a problem that should not occur nor have I run into before.

Bad news is there is not a "Null Thunderbolt device" to test just the NUC and OS. I asked the Intel folks here. NULL modem connectors where a good idea back in the '70s.

I got my NUC in the summer of 2016. When did you get yours? Just checking to see if we have the same chip set.

Techno.

HWest2
Beginner

Hi,

I got my NUC in dec 2016.

It is: AMI 63-0100-000001-00101111-051315-Chipset

AShep1
Novice

Thank you. Let me check mine when I get home tonight.