Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

No bitlocker recovery key

After updating Windows 10, I am prompted for the Bitlocker Recovery Key.  This is a new device and I never setup Bitlocker and there is no recovery key available on either of my Microsoft accounts.  How can I factory reset the Nuc?  I am not concerned with any data because there isn't any.  It is a new, now useless, machine.  NUC8BEB  i5-8259U

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Super User

This is a Microsoft issue, and has been happening too much.

If the disk/hdd/ssd is locked/encrypted, there is nothing you can do.

I wish I had better news, but you will need to purchase a new disk/hdd/ssd and re-install the OS.

Doc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Thank you for the response.  Is there anyway I can factory reset?

Sorry, I just re-read your response.  Guess I'm screwed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Well, there is not much to factory reset, except resetting the bios.

But, the bios does not know what the bitlocker key is.

I would complain to Microsoft.  They know this is happening, but are ignoring it.  Personally, I think you are fortunate.  You had no important data, so your loss is minimal.

Doc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor III

You should be able to erase the HDD/SSD even if it is locked with a BitLocker key. You will lose any data on the drive but as long as the drive is not Hardware Password Protected from the BIOS, then it should still be a usable drive.

Did the system come with the drive or was it from another system? When you say you updated Windows, was it already on the drive when you put it into the NUC?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

The Intel device (NUC) was purchased from Amazon therefore neither Intel or Microsoft were able or willing to help.  Fortunately, the vendor is willing to swap it out with a new replacement.  I didn't have the product long enough to register with Microsoft or Intel before I began experiencing the problem.

0 Kudos