Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Novice

No display signal for initial NUC setup.

Jump to solution

I ran a search on this forum for a no signal issue with the NUC and didn't find an answer for my problem. I just purchased the NUC8i7HVK today. I installed the hard drive as well as the memory. When I power the unit on, my monitor gives me a no signal message. I'm using an HDMI cable and it doesn't show up. I used a display port cable and it still doesn't show up. Both cables work fine when I connect them to my older Skull Canyon NUC6i7KYK. Can anyone shed some light on this issue? The bios screen does not appear because there is simply no signal in the first place.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Novice

So after opening a ticket with intel and going back and forth a couple times, I found that the NUC wasn't even posting. Even after attempting a bios recovery the thing just wasn't working. It would power on then power off after a minute then repeat. Rather than trying to troubleshoot further I returned it to the store, picked up another one and everything installed fine in less than an hour. It was not quite dead when I bought it but certainly not worth all the trouble. I'm responding to this thread from my brand new Hades Canyon NUC8i7HVK!

Thanks for all the help everyone.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello spectrefish

Thank you for joining the community.

I have sent you a private message please to provide you with case information, please review your private inbox.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

I have been in contact with tech support from intel. It appears that my device is not posting properly in the first place. I do not get the blinking light pattern when booting it with no memory. The ticket is still open and we are working on a solution.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

I had the same problem with a NUC8i7HNK[2]: Installed both SO-DIMMs and one M.2 SSD, tried both HDMI and both miniDP with a working monitor, keyboard, cables to no avail (and yes, I tried all possible combinations). No error signal whatsoever--however, the machine kept rebooting (as it was supposed to, according to the initial setup). As I found out later, it still had an older BIOS installed (revision HNKBLi70.86A.0029.2018.0222.1606), not sure whether this was related (w/o signal, you cannot check anyways); at this time, neither F2 nor something else made the monitor pick up a signal.

What helped me in the end was removing everything I had put in and re-adding a single SO-DIMM as suggested by an Intel troubleshooting guide (note: don't attach anything else). After that, I finally saw the "No boot device available" error message (which showed that the NUC wasn't totally broken). After that, a reboot (while pressing F2) eventually allowed me to enter the setup menu. I kept re-adding the remaining SO-DIMM and the SSD one at a time, and they were all detected. Not sure whether the above error message changed something w.r.t. the initial display configuration--if the M.2 SSD/SO-DIMMS were not properly attached the first time which caused a "hiccup" (always a possibility), I would have expected some kind of visual error signal, because I kept the machine up and running/rebooting for some 10 minutes while reading through help texts/forum entries.

Therefore, as a rule of thumb: Make sure to try all possible combinations and also make sure to rule out bad cables/monitors. Hope this helps!

Highlighted
Novice

I had same issue using Samsung monitor and auto detect- NUC was not detected - until I opened and removed / reseat the singe 16gb memory module and the 80mm pcie drive. Then it worked fine.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

So after opening a ticket with intel and going back and forth a couple times, I found that the NUC wasn't even posting. Even after attempting a bios recovery the thing just wasn't working. It would power on then power off after a minute then repeat. Rather than trying to troubleshoot further I returned it to the store, picked up another one and everything installed fine in less than an hour. It was not quite dead when I bought it but certainly not worth all the trouble. I'm responding to this thread from my brand new Hades Canyon NUC8i7HVK!

Thanks for all the help everyone.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

I tried many of the things you suggested and nothing worked for me. It was never sending a signal to my monitor at all. Very frustrating to say the least! A replacement unit responded immediately to everything: hard drive, memory, monitor. Thank you for your suggestions.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

You may have made a minor mistake and the memory is not correctly installed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

My Intel nuc computer ​showing no signal display

0 Kudos