Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
Announcements
This community is designed for sharing of public information. Please do not share Intel or third-party confidential information here.
11977 Discussions

No power and possible ram failure

John1949
Novice

This is my 4th NUC project, and I have not seen this before. The NUC is a NUC6CAYH with an 8GB Crucial memory, DDR3L-1600 SODIMM. 

For 3 Sundays(yes a church project) the NUC ran a Zoom display for two hours with no problem. Today the unit ran briefly and then died,  with no sign of life: no power light, no screen display. 

For diagnostics, I first removed the SSD (no change), and then after removing the RAM, and applying power, the power light and ring light come on with a solid blue. 

Do I have infant failure of the ram? Did I not install the correct ram?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
John1949
Novice

I made a $45 guess and tried a PNY MN8GSD31600LV that I could get locally, It had the same specs and the boot-up problem went away. Now I need to figure out why the NUC does not like using the HDMI port and keeps trying to use the VGA port.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Without additional information, I cannot say whether this was caused by incorrect DRAM. Who is the vendor and what is the full part number for the SODIMM?

...S

John1949
Novice

The full part number for the RAM is CT102464BF160B.

It is described as Notebook 8GB DDRL3 -1600 SODIMM.

John1949
Novice

The vendor is Crucial (by Micron)

The full part number for the RAM is CT102464BF160B.

It is described as Notebook 8GB DDRL3 -1600 SODIMM.

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

I don't see any obvious issues with that SODIMM. I am checking with some other experts and they or I will get back to you soonest...

...S

John1949
Novice

I made a $45 guess and tried a PNY MN8GSD31600LV that I could get locally, It had the same specs and the boot-up problem went away. Now I need to figure out why the NUC does not like using the HDMI port and keeps trying to use the VGA port.