cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
VAgra2
Beginner

No response from keyboard, mouse and monitor when connected to my new nuci5bnh

Jump to solution

I recently purchased an nuc7i5bnh unit along with Samsung 970 evo ssd and Crucial 4gb DDR4 2400MHz ram module. I added the ram and ssd in the unit and connected my monitor via hdmi to this nuc. Then when I powered it on,, a red led appeared on the unit. After pressing the power buttton the blue led started to blink and then a solid blue led started to show and that was it. Neither can I enter the BIOS menu(my dell USB kb doesnt work, nor do I get any dislay on the monitor. Is my unit faulty?

what should I do now

edit:

When the solid blue led is being dislapyed for once this led gets turned off and a red blinking led is displayed for a second and then immediately the solid big blue led with blinking blue led in between starts again

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

That blinking usually means that the memory SO-DIMM is improperly installed, is faulty or is incompatible (if you are seeing three blinks). Remove the SO-DIMM and try installing it again. Another thing that can cause this (but not if it is three blinks that you are seeing) is the M.2 SSD being improperly installed or faulty.

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

12 Replies
n_scott_pearson

That blinking usually means that the memory SO-DIMM is improperly installed, is faulty or is incompatible (if you are seeing three blinks). Remove the SO-DIMM and try installing it again. Another thing that can cause this (but not if it is three blinks that you are seeing) is the M.2 SSD being improperly installed or faulty.

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

VAgra2
Beginner

Yes, I was able to resolve this issue by re-inserting the memory module again.

Can you confirm these settings on my bios page. I am not sure whether I should modify any of these or not.

Also, my USB 3.o external hard disk works intermittently . Sometimes it is not detected by the nuc although I can hear the hard disk spinning. If I try changing ports then it shows up in the explorer(not always). I installed most of the drivers for this device, so do I have to additionally install some specific driver for this USB 3 issue ?

VAgra2
Beginner

Adding rest of the attachments

n_scott_pearson

If you are not sure what the settings should be, reset the configuration to BIOS Defaults and leave it there!

In my opinion, your fan speed control settings are HORRIBLE! If you make your system busy for significant periods of time, you will be driving the processor above its thermal load line and it will eventually start scaling down performance to protect itself. You are disaffecting its lifetime doing this. You should have the blower running at full speed (100% duty cycle) for any temperature above, say, ~85c. If you do not like the noise, then move the NUC to a location that will reduce the impact of the noise. It is designed to attach to the back of a monitor, the side/back/bottom of a desk, etc. Put it where the noise reaches your ears only indirectly.

Off my soapbox.

...S

VAgra2
Beginner

hese are infact the default settings. I am gonna change the fan settings now just to be sure. although the fan has not made any significant noise as of now and the unit is running on low-med temperature.

Which specific settings should I change in this menu ? I have never played with bios before so I dont want to mess this up

VAgra2
Beginner

Should I create a separate thread for the settings request ?

n_scott_pearson

In a private IM, Vinayak asked me the following:

Hello Scott. This is regards our discussion earlier on the forum. Would you please suggest the optimal temperature settings for my NUC unit. As you mentioned in your post that above 85~degrees, the duty cycle must be set to 100%. However as I see, there are two sensors present in this particular bios window: primary(processor) and secondary(Memory). Should I change these settings for BOTH of them, or just the Primary one. Also, do I have to change some other settings too along with this ?

I am going to answer this here in the public conversation, since other folks may be interested in the answer...

First of all, see this response that I generated previously regarding a reasonable set of values to use: /message/504289# 504289 Re: NUC7i7BNH - Rumorosità ventola.

Next, understand how the NUCs are cooled: Directly, the blower in the NUC is pushing air over the heatsink attached to the processor, chipset and voltage regulation components in order to cool them. Indirectly, this same air is also being used to cool other components on both sides of the board. The air inlets are positioned so that the air being sucked in has to flow over the bottom of the board, around the edges of the board, over the top of the board and then into the blower.

Ok, knowing this, what are the implications?

1. Because of this cooling methodology, I do not like this "fan-off" feature. I believe that the board should get continuous airflow in order to stay ahead of heat issues. At the same time, however, I realize that you younger folks (sigh!) have much sharper hearing than do my 60 year-old, rock music degraded, ears. I thus selected conservative values that would get the fans turned back on at the first signs of temperature increase.
  2. Operating the blower at duty cycle settings below their recommended nominal setting can result in the blower struggling to maintain them. This can result in issues such as stalling, chatter, etc. My understanding is that the nominal duty cycle for these blowers is 25%. In the setting I provided, however, I chose 20% for no other reason than to make the math simpler. Call me lazy. You can recalculate to use 25% if you wish.
  3. The two temperature sensors selected are combined in what is called a "hottest-of" relationship. For each temperature sensor, based upon the configured settings for it, a required duty cycle for the blower is determined. Then, the higher of the two duty cycle values is applied. This ensures that, if the processor and related components are relatively cool but -- for example, due to a lack of airflow -- the board components (including attached memory SODIMM(s) and M.2 SSD (or Optane module)) are getting hotter, then the duty cycle is raised and, if this puts the result above the necessary threshold, the blower is restarted.

Regarding your questions, (1) Yes, I am providing settings for both sensors and (2) No, no other settings absolutely need to be changed.

I need to qualify this second answer. There is another setting that I typically change at the same time: In the (if I am remembering correctly) Power settings, I change the Processor Performance setting to Balanced (you do this by first unchecking (disabling) Maximum Performance and then checking (enabling) Balanced Performance).

I hope this explains it. If you have any additional questions, let me know...

...S

VAgra2
Beginner

Thanks this pretty much sums it up. Regarding your last point, when I toggle the MAX performance mode, then I can see two particular options which I can toggle to achieve "Balanced Performance". Do I need to enable both of 'em ? 

I appreciate your inputs on this so far.

n_scott_pearson

No, just click on Balanced Enabled. Sorry I didn't describe it better; I am on the road and don't have any NUCs I can look at so it's all from memory...

...S

VAgra2
Beginner

Thanks. will change the setting as suggested.

After all this, I'll say you have a pretty good memory for a 60 yo

Another issue I am facing on this unit is the connection with my USB 3.0 powered WD Passport Ultra HDD. When I connect this HDD to the ports on the NUC, 7/10 times it does not show up in the file explorer(led on the HDD just stays solid which I think means no activity). But when I take a USB hub,connect it to the NUC and then connect the HDD to the Hub,it shows up in the explorer (blinking led). Do I need to install some drivers for USB3 compatibility(just like in Win7 days), or there is some issue with my HDD cable due to which the HDD is not getting enough power.

FYI the NUC is running an enterprise edition of Win 10 64-bit(March'18 build)

n_scott_pearson

Gee, I wish I could agree, but I know about all about the brain farts (a.k.a. senior moments) that are occurring. The other day, I was trying to type "BIOS is bricked", but "bricked" simply would not come to me. I sat here steaming for a couple of minutes before I could pull it out...

So, this sounds a bit like an issue with the USB connection. The micro-USB connectors everyone is using these days are terrible for having intermittent connections (curse Amazon for promoting their use). Regardless, have you tried using this hub from power up (i.e. connect drive to hub and hub to NUC, power on the hub and then power on and boot the NUC. Does the drive get discovered automatically or do you have to unplug and then re-plug the hub (or drive) to get it to go? Do you see a difference in results from front USB ports to back?

Regarding your other questions,

1. The USB 3 drivers come as part of Windows. There is nothing to be loaded. That said, make sure you have the latest INF files loaded (i.e. install the latest Intel Chipset Device Software package). I would hope that this gets updated automatically via Windows Update, but you never know...
  2. The Blue USB 3.0 ports provide 900mA of power. This should be sufficient for most 2.5" drives. The yellow (orange?) USB 3.0 charging port on the front of the NUC provides 1500mA, on the other hand. Try using it and see if the results change at all. I would add that I have 2TB WD Passport and 4TB Seagate Backup+ portable drives that I plug into the NUCs all the time and I have never had an issue. That said, I rarely power on the NUCs with them already plugged in.

...S

VAgra2
Beginner

have you tried using this hub from power up (i.e. connect drive to hub and hub to NUC, power on the hub and then power on and boot the NUC. Does the drive get discovered automatically or do you have to unplug and then re-plug the hub (or drive) to get it to go? Do you see a difference in results from front USB ports to back?

Yes I tried this and the drive does get discovered automatically regardless of whether I connect the hub to the front or the back USB ports. I forgot to mention in my earlier posts that the hub is infact a USB 2.O hub.

1. The Blue USB 3.0 ports provide 900mA of power. This should be sufficient for most 2.5" drives. The yellow (orange?) USB 3.0 charging port on the front of the NUC provides 1500mA, on the other hand. Try using it and see if the results change at all. I would add that I have 2TB WD Passport and 4TB Seagate Backup+ portable drives that I plug into the NUCs all the time and I have never had an issue. That said, I rarely power on the NUCs with them already plugged in.

Plugging it to the blue/yellow port doesnt make any difference.

I think there might be an issue with the cable, so I'll go ahead order a replacement cable from WD just to be sure. Now, as far as I remember, this issue was also there when I used to connect the drive to the USB 3 ports on my Dell laptop. The drive would not get discovered, unless I plugged it on to a USB 2 port. The other connections to the laptop's USB ports would include the USB hub(which powered a USB mouse and a keyboard), and a USB modem I used to have at that time.