cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hubick
New Contributor II

No video output on Startech Thunderbolt Dock

No luck with 18.5.1.

Moving my 4K TV from the rear HDMI to my Thunderbolt dock results in a black screen, as before.

Returning the TV to the NUC's rear HDMI and instead plugging in my old 1080 monitor to the dock as a second display shows it being detected in Display Settings, with the proper resolution, as before, but now instead of just sitting there blank, it says "no signal" and goes to sleep. If I unplug and replug the entire dock, then the connected display comes up as only 640x480 instead of 1080, and remains asleep. Powering the display off and on again results in it the disconnect sound and reconnect sound followed by it being shown in display settings, with the proper resolution again, but then still displaying no signal and returning to sleep.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Ronny_G_Intel

Hi hubick,

I think the issue that you are reporting is different than the original report on this community thread.

I would prefer to split this into two different issues for better visibility. Let me know if you are okay with this.

Also, can you please confirm that if you connect the Samsung TV and/or Acer Monitor directly with no Thunderbolt 3 Dock (tb3dk2dpw) you have no issues?

Thanks,

Ronny G

Chris_V_Intel

Ronny, please do split this into another thread as it is different, with a name like, "No video output on Startech Thunderbolt Dock". - hope that works for you @hubick.

hubick, you are correct, it doesn't work.

I have both the Startech that you have and a Plugable TBT dock and the Plugable works where the Startech doesn't.

I will open a bug report, but FYI, I have to send the dock overseas as that's where our debug team is, so it will probably be a few weeks before I have a response.

hubick
New Contributor II

Thanks @cvare! I guess that saves me having to go through a bunch of debugging :-)

I hope it's not a problem with the dock, as I have two (home/work), and they're well past the return period lol. I'll keep an eye out for a new thread.

Chris_V_Intel

Hopefully it's something we can fix vs Startech. Will let you know!

hubick
New Contributor II

I've also noticed my mouse stutters badly while connected to the StarTech Thunderbolt dock, and I even got a device disconnect/reconnect sound at one point. Can you see if you can reproduce that as well? Thanks!

Chris_V_Intel

So sorry for the delayed response, but I FINALLY have some news, though not an answer yet.

We've reached out to Startech and they're asking if both of your docks are having this issue?

hubick
New Contributor II

Yes, both of them are. And, you also said you're seeing it as well, right?

Both of mine were purchased directly from the Startech.ca (Canada) website.

I bought them originally for use with my Skull Canyon NUC, where they both worked fine (Intel GPU though). Then they also worked with a GTX 1080ti desktop card with DP routed via a https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GC-ALPINE-RIDGE-rev-10 Thunderbolt 3 card.

Chris_V_Intel

Thanks Hubick.

Yes I am. The question comes directly from Startech support.

They also asked if other ports worked on the dock, but you made that clear that while USB "worked" it's not working well. Is your mouse that's stuttering wired or wireless?

One more thing.

Any chance the below could apply to you? As I sent the only dock I had to our other team I can't test it anymore.

hubick
New Contributor II

I'm not using any of those monitors. I'm using a Samsung 40" 4K TV at home with a Club3D DP to HDMI 2.0 adapter, and an ancient 30" Dell monitor at work with an almost-equally-old active DP to dual-link DVI adapter. Again, docks and displays were working with both my previous NUC and desktop machines (Edit: Actually, I still had the Razer Core at home back when I had the previous NUC, and don't remember if I utilized alternate mode much).

Chris_V_Intel

Figured, had to ask.

After our support team working with the Startech support team, the issue is that the Startech dock's Thunderbolt Firmware is older and thus doesn't work correctly-as you're seeing.

Startech told us that they couldn't update their firmware and that the dock has been replaced with this model: https://www.startech.com/Cards-Adapters/Laptop-docking-stations/thunderbolt-3-docking-station~TB3DKD... Thunderbolt 3 Dock - Dual 4K, Mac & Windows | Laptop Docking Stations | StarTech.com.

I realize it's not the news you wanted to hear, but we can't do much more here at Intel.

hubick
New Contributor II

Ahk! I bought mine on 2016-09-04, and it says 3 year warranty, so I have sent a support request referencing this thread. Is there a case number they can reference from your team?

Much Thanks.

Chris_V_Intel

Good! I sure hope they help you out!

I don't, I was just getting it from my engineering team and I believe it was just via email.

You're welcome, good luck!

hubick
New Contributor II

So, I got in touch with the StarTech support rep who claimed he was in contact with the Intel team, but said that he did not think the problem was due to firmware, and told me that Intel basically asked him why he asked so many questions, and he never did get to the bottom of it, but was willing to do so with me. How did that go? Here we are... two months later.

In the end, after much confusion, and escalation, I have determined that the "TB3DK2DPW" was apparently discontinued and replaced with the "TB3DKDPMAW", which is externally identical, except for a single chip inside being upgraded to fix a hardware defect which prevented the original's DisplayPort output from working with adapters (such as the HDMI adapter I require) at 60hz.

At some point StarTech quietly scrubbed all references to DisplayPort 1.2 and 60hz from the website and support documents for the product (but not the replacement), despite it having advertised those features when originally shipped. Their tech support then tried to claim to me that the device never offered 4K@60hz.

Luckily, Google turned up that they missed scrubbing a few of their FAQ's, and the European edition of the user manual, and I was able to send them links to documents on their own domain showing claims of full DP 1.2 support, including 4K@60hz, at which point they then offered to send me a free USB-C to HDMI adapter, which would let me drive a single HDMI display from the USB-C connector on the front at 60hz, but I refused, as that still doesn't make it capable of providing the dual 4k@60hz outputs I was promised (I use a 4K HDMI TV and an HDMI based Samsung Odyssey VR headset).

So, yeah, two months later, and after significant time on the phone, I worked my way up the chain to someone who finally offered to refund me for my two docks (purchased directly from them), almost two years in to their three year warranty.

So, although I find their retroactive website editing behaviour abhorrent, and I had to seriously hold their feet to the fire on this, they eventually did right by me (not that I left them any choice).

Anyhow, yeah, I doubt I will be buying another TB3 dock anytime soon (at least for use at home), as I believe even the new Titan Ridge (DP 1.4) models will still prevent FreeSync from working properly :-(

Chris_V_Intel

WOW.

Thank you for the update hubick.

Sorry to hear the trouble you had, but more importantly, way to go on keeping on them!

Just make sure it's returnable before you buy if at any way possible.