Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Nuc 10th i7 - high noise from fan - help needed

Hi, just bought a new NUC10FNH with i7-10710U, added 16GB RAM and 1T SSD.

Before buying it I saw some people complaining on noise, but most feedbacks were positive, so I decided to go for i7 nuc.

After installing Win10 pro, i saw (and heard :) that that sometimes fan accelerates to high RPM and noise becomes very high

It happens when CPU becomes occupied by even 20-30%, the fan speeds up very fast creating strong unpleasant noise.

It speeds up just when installing whats up application for example or updating driver, then goes back to normal. So nothing really heavy, not a game, just simple tasks that are probably correlated to turbo boost..

I attach video, noise happens during driver update, then in the end of the video it goes back to quite, so you can compare.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13jZLbqSzj0

My questions:

1. Is it normal for this i7 unit? if not i will return it and order another one.
  2. If thats normal - should I play with Bios settings ? should i turn off turbo boost? but then why do i need the i7 at all !
  3. Maybe worth replacing to i5 ? will it suffer less from noisy fan?

(in terms of performance i5 will be also ok for me)

I will gladly hear your opinions!

Thanks a lot

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

I have the i7 version and it is nowhere near as loud as that (it is, in fact, almost inaudible). It almost sounds like your blower blades are rubbing on the cowling. I have seen this before and fixed it myself by (carefully!) pulling the cowling away from the blades with a dental pick. If course, this requires the removal of the board from the chassis, not something for the faint of heart. Before you go that far, have you ever tried simply changing the chassis orientation to see if this affects the sound type/level? Flip it on its side or completely upside down and see what happens.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Thank you for your answer Scott

I did double check orientation - not the RC, it does not see as mechanical interference noise, but definitely RPM increase airflow noise.

I will probably return the unit, cannot withstand this noise :(

I did try the setting in BIOS of 75 min temp, 25 Duty Cycle and 5 duty cycle increase, this was much better, basically because I limited the RPMs..

During whole day when i worked with VDI - no issue, fan was good, but then again - i did not do any medium / heavy task.

Now in balanced mode (default), the fan kinda kicks in very fast in some tasks and the high acceleration profile together with constant high RPM noise is very annoying.

sometimes the fan kicks in strong when turning on the unit for several seconds, then goes back to be quite.

You stated that your i7 is very quite, don't you have RPM ramp up to strong noise when doing some heavy CPU operation like zipping to ultra compression?

Should I replace unit with different i7 or switch to i5? or maybe its just a NUC thing?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

AFrid3, I have a NUC10i7FNH which is awaiting a warranty replacement (random freezes). They have no replacements in stock and 9 days after telling me they would replace it and made an internal request as to when units would be in stock, I still have no estimate of when units will be in stock. Today I asked if they have other units they could provide now rather than waiting, and they have submitted an internal request to see about that.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi DalTex, sorry to hear, but is what you wrote related to the fan noise? How was it on your unit ? did you hear fan quickly speeded up to unpleasant levels?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Sorry, I wasn't very clear: I wrote it to let you know that if you want warranty replacement, they may not have any in stock.

My fan ramps up noticeably once in awhile, but not to an objectionable noise level nor for a sustained period.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

First of all, never use the Fan Off capability. The problem with it is that, if the fan is turned off, you can cause temperature overrun and fan surging as a result. It is better to have the fan running at a quiet level all the time (this also benefits other components in the system). People do not understand that, at the hotspot for each processor core (where its DTS is located), the hotspot temperature can change tens of degrees in mere milliseconds. With apps sampling it once per second, you just don't see this happening, however. Now, fan control is based upon the Package Temperature, which introduces two advantages, (1) immediate effect of a core rapidly heating up (or cooling down) is minimized by heat spread within the overall die and (2) a smoothing circuit takes some of the peaks and valleys out of the readings that the fan controller gets (over the PECI bus). Unfortunately, it is still possible, if a heat-generating load is placed on the processor for a number of seconds, to see it affect the package temperature and thus have the fans increase their response very rapidly. Worse, this is possible when only a single Core is worked hard enough (i.e. overall, the processor looks only 20-30% busy, but this 20-30% is just one or two Cores getting hot because of the load -- but generating enough heat to saturate the heat spreader.

I use 68c, 20%, 4% for Processor temperature sensor and 58c, 20%, 4% for Memory (or Motherboard, whichever proves more volatile) temperature sensor. I also select the Balanced Performance setting in BIOS and the Balanced Power Plan in Windows.

Finally, you need to remember that I am in my 60's and have suffered the normal age-related hearing loss. I may simply not be hearing some of the high-frequency noise that is irritating you. There is an important point here (other than just nana, nana, na, na): If noise of a particular pitch is irritating to you, change the pitch! A pile of book between you and the NUC, for example, won't affect the overall sound power levels, but it can change the pitch of the noise, potentially to a range that is not as irritating to you. Remember too that you have the VESA bracket and you can put NUCs on the backs of monitors, the sides, backs and bottoms of desks, etc. and etc.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

TX for your detailed response, I will try your setting!

0 Kudos