Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
Announcements
The Intel sign-in experience is changing in February to support enhanced security controls. If you sign in, click here for more information.
12538 Discussions

Nuc 11 Blue light stays on

azdust
New Contributor I

When I shut down my Nuc11pahi7 with Windows 11, the blue light on the front of the Nuc sometimes will stay on.   The only way to turn off the blue light or to use the computer is to hold down the power button for about 30 seconds.  The system is essentially locked up.

The problem appears to be related to graphics drivers.  I did not have this issue with version 27 released back in July 2021.  So far I have had the problem with every driver in the 30 range.

I have wiped my machine and reinstalled Windows 11 Pro several times.  No changes.

System:

Intel Nuc11pahi7

64 gigabytes of ram

1tb ssd

Windows 11 Pro

40 Replies
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @azdust

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In order to understand better the behavior and check this further, could you please provide us with the following details?

1- Please elaborate more on the actual issue. For instance:

• Is the behavior only that "when powering off the Intel® NUC, the Power LED stays On and the device freezes and doesn't respond/doesn't power off?"
  • Is the device working fine during POST/Boot and during regular usage and does the behavior occur only when powering off?

2- Does the issue happen all the time or randomly?

3- Besides the finding that the behavior seems to be related to the latest Graphics drivers, were there any other changes that might be related to the point when the issue started? For instance, Operating System (OS) upgrades (e.g.: from Windows* 10 to Windows* 11). OS major updates, BIOS updates, or hardware changes?

4- Please provide details about the following:

• Monitors maker and model(s) and type of cables being used (including adapters if any):
  • Type and amount of external peripheral devices connected to the Intel® NUC:

5- Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system:

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.
  • Once you have saved the file (.txt file), please attach it to your reply.

To upload and attach a file, use the "Drag and drop here or browse files to attach" option below the response textbox.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

azdust
New Contributor I

Thanks Andrew.  I will respond later this evening.

azdust
New Contributor I

Steps to reproduce the issue:

1.  Click on the shut down menu in Windows 11.

2.  Windows will begin the shut down procedure.  The screen goes black and the no signal appears on my monitor.

Here is where the problem occurs:

About half of the time the blue led power button light on the front of my NUC11PABi7 will stay on.  The machine is apparently frozen.  If I press the power button the machine will not turn on, nor will it turn off.

The only way to turn off the blue light or to use the computer is to hold down the power button for about 30 seconds.  The system is essentially locked up.

The problem appears to be related to graphics drivers.  I did not have this issue with version 27 released back in July 2021.  So far I have had the problem with every driver in the 30 range.  If you do a search others have reported this issue on this forum.  Unfortunately, a resolution has not been posted.

Here is my system:

NUC11PABi7

Bios 0042

Motherboard version: K90104-305

Western Digital Black 1tb SN850 NVME

64 gigabytes of ram - Kingston Fury Impact 2x32GB 3200mhz ddr4 cl20

Monitor: Dell 32 inch 4k monitor - Model Number: S3221qs

Dell Premier Wireless Keyboard & Mouse Combo - Model Number KM732W

Canon ImageClass Mfc632cdw printer - wireless

Windows 11 Pro

No peripherals attached.

Midnight12
Beginner

I have had the same issues on my Nuc11pahi7 with Windows 10. I rolled back the graphics driver to version 27 and that worked.

I also had a sound issue when playing Windows Media Player. sound would fade out for about a second every 20 seconds or so.

Had to Flash the BIOS twice with version 046.

I still have an issue with windows media player when after pausing a movie and restarting it, it will after about 30 seconds or so pause for about 4 seconds and continue as normal.  Haven't found a solution for that yet. Do you know of one? 

AndrewG_Intel

Hello azdust

Sure! No problem, we will be waiting for your response with the details. Please take your time.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

azdust
New Contributor I

Similar issue here:

About half of the time the blue led power button light on the front of my NUC11PABi7 will stay on after receiving the shutdown command.  The machine is apparently frozen.  If I press the power button the machine will not turn on, nor will it turn off.

Process:

• Click on the shut down menu in Windows 11.

• Windows will begin the shut down procedure.  The screen goes black and the no signal message appears on my monitor.

• About 50% of the time for no apparent reason, the blue light on the front of my NUC11PABi7 will stay on after receiving the shutdown command.  The blue light will remain on indefinitely.  (I have noted that the blue power button light will remain on for at least one hour after receiving the shutdown command.

• Pushing the power button will not turn off the light nor will it turn on the Nuc.  The machine is apparently frozen.

• The only way to turn off the blue light or to use the computer is to hold down the power button for about 30 seconds.  The system is essentially locked up.

The problem appears to be related to graphics drivers.  I did not have this issue with version 27 released back in July 2021.  So far I have had the problem with every driver in the 30 range.  If you do a search others have reported this issue on this forum.  Unfortunately, a resolution has not been posted.

Here is my system:

NUC11PABi7

Bios 0042

Motherboard version: K90104-305

Western Digital Black 1tb SN850 NVME

64 gigabytes of ram - Kingston Fury Impact 2x32GB 3200mhz ddr4 cl20

Monitor: Dell 32 inch 4k monitor - Model Number: S3221qs

Dell Premier Wireless Keyboard & Mouse Combo - Model Number KM732W

Canon ImageClass Mfc632cdw printer - wireless

Windows 11 Pro

No peripherals attached.

AndrewG_Intel

Hello azdust

Thank you for your response and for all these details.

Please allow us to review this further and we will be posting back in the thread as soon as more information is available.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

AndrewG_Intel

Hello azdust

After reviewing this further, we would like to provide you with some recommendations.

In BIOS:

1. Please enter BIOS by pressing the F2 key, then press F9 to reset BIOS to the default settings (take note of any special configuration if needed).
  2. Press F10 to save.

In Windows* operating system:

1. Download and install the Intel® NUC Software Studio Service.
  2. Install the Intel® NUC Software Studio app via Microsoft Store.

(The Intel® NUC Software Studio Service is required to ensure that all Intel® NUC Software Studio features are fully functional when installed on the Intel® NUC Kit products, therefore, we are recommending installing it in case you haven't done it yet).

If the behavior persists, please review an additional step that we will provide via email. For this, we will send you an email to the email address associated with your profile.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

hoyle
Beginner

Hello - I'm also having this issue on an IntelNUC11PAHi5. On a scheduled shutdown via Task Scheduler, it does not seem to fully shutdown. The blue light stays on solid blue and the fan is running, but nothing will wake it. I have to hold down the power button for more than 15 seconds to turn it off fully. Then I can push the power button to start it up.

I'm trying to use the BIOS secondary power settings to automatically boot it up at a specific time. I am using Task Scheduler to shutdown at a specific time; however, this issue will not allow the BIOS command to startup automatically.

I have the Intel NUC SOftware Studio app installed.

sprocketoctopus
New Contributor I

G'day.

Hello - I'm also having this issue on an Intel NUC11PAHi5. It's fully up to date using Intel Driver update utility, and W10 latest updates (21H2).

Very, very similar to above:

• Close all programs that are running.
  • Click on the shut down menu in Windows 10

• Windows will begin the shut down procedure.  The screens both goes black and the no signal message appears on both my monitor.s

• Most of the time for no apparent reason, the blue light on the front of my NUC will stay on after receiving the shutdown command.  In addition I also notice the Ethernet indicator LEDS are both lit, and an external HDD connected via USB, still has it's power LED lit. The blue light on the power button will remain on indefinitely, as do the others above.

• Pushing the power button will not turn off the light nor will it turn on the NUC.  The machine is apparently frozen.

• The only way to turn off the blue light or to use the computer is to hold down the power button for about 30 seconds, or pull out the power cord.  The system is essentially locked up.
  • The system will restart normally if desired. However as soon as you shutdown, exactly the same thing happens again.

Specifications:

Samsung 980 PRO 500GB PCIe Gen 4.0 V-NAND M.2 (2280) SSD

Samsung 870 EVO 500GB 2.5" Internal SATA SSD

2 x Kingston ValueRam 16GB (1x 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz SODIMM Memory

Wireless K/B & mouse

2 x 27" 4k monitors

Of interest is that this NUC has 2 monitors connected,  2 x Dell 27" one via HDMI, the other via Mini DP

Please advise.  I can get logs, etc as this machine is my wife's!

(Sorry for thread hijack. Please advise if you'd like me to create a new one. Thanks)

Thank-you.

EDIT: Just had a read of a few more threads. My NUC is also exhibiting the "no wake from sleep" problem from here:

https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-NUCs/NUC-11-PAHi7-wont-wake-after-sleep-display-off-install-lat...

My work around was in W10 to "never allow" sleep, which is not good as far as I am concerned..

and here:

https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-NUCs/NUC11PAHi7-no-video-output-after-update-BIOS-ver-0043/m-p/...

(it's mentioned towards the end of this thread that is mainly about USB-C & monitors not working problems)

~S.O

AndrewG_Intel

Hello azdust

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you were able to review our previous post. If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us back.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

azdust
New Contributor I

Andrew,

The issue unfortunately remains.  The Microsoft Store edition of The Nuc Software Studio was already installed when the trouble started.  I have also reset the bios settings to the default settings.  No difference.

What makes a difference?  The graphics driver.

With version 27 (July 2021) the system shuts down when receiving the shutdown command.  With version 30xx the Nuc appears to  shut down but the blue power light remains on.   The machine has not turned off instead it is in a coma.  If I press the power button the machine will not turn on, nor will it turn off.  The only way out is to hold down the power button for over 15 seconds.

AndrewG_Intel

Hello @hoyle and @sprocketoctopus

Thank you for joining the Intel® Community.

If you already tried the suggestions available and further assistance is still required, we kindly recommend creating your own thread to isolate your case and system configuration. Please make sure you add the information of the system model and specs, detailed information about the problem that you are having, plus all the information that you have added to this thread, so we can get more information about the behavior.

Thank you for your understanding; hope to hear from you soon.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

AndrewG_Intel

Hello @azdust

Thank you very much for your response.

Just to make sure we covered all the steps, could you please confirm if the issue is the same after installing the DEBUG BIOS?

Besides the suggestions we provided in a previous post, we also sent you an email with additional instructions to test a DEBUG BIOS to see if the issue was different. Please kindly let us know if you were able to install it and test it.

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

azdust
New Contributor I
AndrewG_Intel

Hello azdust

Thank you for the report about the other thread. However, we would like to know if you were able to test with the DEBUG BIOS that we provided via email? This is very important to continue debugging process and we would appreciate it if you could confirm if you tried it. If you are not willing to try this, please kindly let us know so we can consider other options.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

AndrewG_Intel

Hello azdust

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you were able to test with the DEBUG BIOS that we provided via email? If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us back.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

AndrewG_Intel

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience in this matter and for all the feedback.

After reviewing this further, we would like to inform you that this seems to be a driver issue. Intel® is aware of this behavior and currently working on a solution, unfortunately, we don't have an ETA for a fix yet.

In the meantime, we recommend the following:

1. Uninstall the current graphics driver version 30.0.x.x (for instance, 30.0.101.1191). Refer to How To Uninstall the Intel® Graphics Driver.
  2. Download the Intel® Graphics – Windows* DCH Driver Version 27.20.100.9466.
  3. Install the Graphics Driver Driver Version 27.20.100.9466.
  4. Decline any Graphics Driver updates that will be offered by Intel® Driver & Support Assistant (Intel® DSA).

Once we have any new information regarding this issue, we will be posting the details here in the thread.

Sincerely,

Andrew G.

Michael22
Beginner

Hi @AndrewG_Intel 

i followed the above solution and still facing the same issue and now my device become slower. 

waiting for your reply.

Thanks

leong
Beginner

Hi, any solution for the issue above, I'm also having the same issue, same NUC model not able to off completely after shut down and the blue light still on.