Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NDonn
Novice

Nuc 7i5bnk - always overheats in game

I have a nuc 7i5bnk - whenever I play Civilization VI it shuts off and says its overheated.

The only way I can keep it playing is to point a desk fan at it.

I unscrewed the case but can't see much dust in there - it's just on a normal table not near a heater.

Why doesn't the NUC just dial down the CPU etc to levels that it's able to heat?

I have the latest drivers etc as of today 8 Feb 2018.

How can I stop it overheating?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
34 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hello niico

Thank you for joining the community.

I recommend reviewing the game minimum requirements to verify that the Hardware is compatible with the game, making sure that processor, RAM, and video meet the games requirements

Can you provide us with the Dxdiag report following these steps?
  1. Use the winlogo key +R
  2. Type DxDiag then "OK"
  3. Use the "save all the information" option
  4. Save the file to your desktop
  5. Please attach the .txt file to the thread
Regards,

Leonardo C.

NDonn
Novice

Of course it is. Also a few months ago it was fine with this game but - I'm guessing with some driver update - or maybe game update - this started happening.

Surely the Nuc should just throttle things back rather than allowing itself to overheat.

NDonn
Novice

file as requested

idata
Community Manager

Hello niico

Thank you for the information provided,

I was looking into the information on the file and I found that you have the drivers version 23.20.0016.4877, there is a newer version available you can find that at the following link:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27412/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-60- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27412/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-60-

Let me know the outcome

Regards,

Leonardo C.

NDonn
Novice

Thanks.

Your link is from 28 Dec 2017 - wouldn't this be better from 5 Jan 2018?

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26947/NUCs-Intel-HD-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-for-Int... Download Intel® HD Graphics Driver for Windows® 10* for Intel® NUC Kit NUC7i3BN, NUC7i5BN, and NUC7i7BN

Although version numbers are the same - what difference does getting the NUC specific version make?

Also why is the Version: 15.60.2.4901 on your link - but you state it's 23.20.0016.4877?

Why do there seem to be two totally different version numbers for the same thing?

Thanks.

NDonn
Novice

OK tried the game again - still overheats within a few seconds of playing.

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

This is not normal. I suspect that the heatsink may have separated and is not effectively cooling the processor. We need to see how quickly the temperatures are rising. If you can, use a tool that can collect temperatures over time. AIDA64 can do so while running a load test, so is a good choice (you can use it for free during a trial period).

...S

NDonn
Novice

Thanks - should I just run AIDA64 while playing the game then?

Which version of AIDA64 do I need?

There's a few:

https://www.aida64.com/downloads Downloads | AIDA64

NDonn
Novice

Are you sure it's a hardware issue? Only ever happens in this 1 game (although its the only game I play).

Could there be a software explanation?

n_scott_pearson

Am I sure? No. The other - yes, software - possibility is that the BIOS is improperly configuring the fan speed control subsystem in the embedded controller and the blower is being left at fairly slow speed even when the system is very busy and thus hotter. Either way, what we need to look at is the temperature sensors and the blower response. I am not sure that AIDA64 will always be in a data collection mode. I think you have to run their stress test to have it collect data. I would presume that this stress test's results will be similar to this game...

...S

NDonn
Novice

I'll upload the results shortly - but after a few seconds the CPU starts throttling - after 2 minutes it's up to 37% Throttling.

The computer hasn't shut down though, the fan has spun up as much as it does when the game is playing.

It's like when the game is on the CPU isn't able to throttle and instead is allowed to overheat.

Sitting around 35% with 47% max throttling after 6 mins.

NDonn
Novice

First one is 10 minutes of test.

Second is 10 minutes of test + ~5 mins with desk fan pointing at nuc.

The game usually shuts the Nuc off in under a minute - and this test didn't after 10 minutes

n_scott_pearson

Can you show me capture of the fan response occurring?

NDonn
Novice

I just ran another test checking 'Stress GPU' - and with that selected it shuts off after around 1-2 mins.

Weirdly it *doesn't* appear to throttle the CPU at all when GPU stress is added - there's a small spike around the time the system died.

I've just had a play - it's bizarre.

All I'm doing is selecting and deselecting 'Stress GPU'.

I'm keeping 'Stress CPU' & all the other buttons checked in both tests.

When 'Stress GPU' is selected the CPU *never throttles*. When 'Stress GPU' is deselected it almost instantly throttles the CPU. I've gone back and forth a few times for a while.

So this seems like a weird software error that is stopping the CPU being throttled when the GPU is under stress, no? Unless I'm totally misunderstanding what's going on.

thx.

NDonn
Novice

I just went into the BIOS - and it says this board is the 7i5bnb - not 7i5bnk.

Not sure how significant that is - the retail box says 7i5bnk - the underside of the case also says 7i5bnk. So perhaps bnb is just the motherboard name or something? Not sure if this is relevant.

I purchased the Nuc new from a retail store.

n_scott_pearson

I need to see fan response graph.

n_scott_pearson

NUC7i5BNB is the board that is in NUC7i5BNK and NUC7i5BNH systems. It is normal to see this.

...S

NDonn
Novice

Sorry just noticed I needed to click fan tab.

I've just done 2 fan tests. 1 with GPU checked 1 without.

In both cases fan is around 6950. Only difference I can see is that the CPU isn't being throttled in the GPU test.

I stopped the GPU test before (I presume) the computer shut itself off again.

n_scott_pearson

Ok, so what I am seeing is that the blower is not responding properly to temperature change.

Try these settings:

1. Set the Fan Control Mode to Custom.
  2. Set the Minimum Duty Cycle (%) to 25.
  3. Set the Primary Temperature Sensor to Processor [this is usually the default].
  4. For this sensor, set the Minimum Temperature (°C) to 60 and the Duty Cycle Increment (%/°C) to 3.
  5. Set the Secondary Temperature Sensor to Memory [this is usually the default].
  6. For this sensor, set the Minimum Temperature (°C) to 55 and the Duty Cycle Increment (%/°C) to 3.

Let me know...

...S