Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
Announcements
Do you have improvements you would like us to make on this community site? If so, we would love to hear your feedback! Click here for an 8 question survey. Thanks!

11429 Discussions

Nuc's (5PPYH) crashing with RDP if dual monitor are used

MSimo3
Beginner

Hello,

at the office of one of my clients I have replaced all old PC's (Old Dell's with 1GB of ram and single core Pentium CPU's) with NUC's. Since they work 'in the cloud', as in they work on a virtual desktop remotely hosted on Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter, I figured the 5PPYH should be more than plenty powerfull for them.

Setup:

- Intel NUC5PPYH

- 4GB DDR3 Crucial (CT51264BF160BJ)

- Kingston HyperX Fury 120GB SSD

- Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

- Dual HP E232 Elite displays (one wired to VGA, the other to HDMI)

Using RDP with two monitors connected results in multiple random freezes a day. The only way to get the NUC going again is to reset the NUC (forced shutdown and reboot), after which I can log in to the RDP session and resume work as if nothing happened... until it crashes again, sometimes in minutes, sometimes after a few hours.

Two other workstations that have been replaced earlier don't have the issue that the NUC's have, (They are HP Prodesk's running Windows 7). If I log the users in on those machines with multi monitor setup, there are no crashes.

The whole machine freezes, not just the RDP session. CTRL-ALT-DEL no longer work (they are mapped to the local machine, not the remote) and the mouse cursor freezes up. No BSOD, no error message, nothing... I have left the machines in frozen condition for over half an hour, in the hopes a BSOD or error code would show up, but nothing. The Windows log also contains no errors after the crashes. I wished it gave a code so I could give more information, but allas...

Please help, I'm pulling my hair out...

0 Kudos
33 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hello SiMOTiON:

At this point we can try a BIOS update to the latest BIOS version which is 0054.

Here is the link where you will see the instructions of how to do it using the F7 method:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/desktop-boards/000005724.html http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/desktop-boards/000005724.html

Here is the .BIO file you need to do the update:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25991/BIOS-Update-PYBSWCEL-86A-?product=87740 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25991/BIOS-Update-PYBSWCEL-86A-?product=87740

Also, for testing purposes, if you have the option, please try a different RAM stick, and also with a different SSD, just to check if it does the same, in order to narrow down the problem.

Please let me know the results of trying the above steps.

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto

idata
Community Manager

Hello SiMOTiON:

At this point we can try a BIOS update to the latest BIOS version which is 0054.

Here is the link where you will see the instructions of how to do it using the F7 method:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/desktop-boards/000005724.html http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/desktop-boards/000005724.html

Here is the .BIO file you need to do the update:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25991/BIOS-Update-PYBSWCEL-86A-?product=87740 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25991/BIOS-Update-PYBSWCEL-86A-?product=87740

Also, for testing purposes, if you have the option, please try a different RAM stick, and also with a different SSD, just to check if it does the same, in order to narrow down the problem.

Please let me know the results of trying the above steps.

Alberto

idata
Community Manager

Hello SiMOTiON:

I just wanted to check if the information posted previously on this thread was useful for you and if the problem still remains or it got fixed?

Alberto

PCutt1
Beginner

I have been tearing my hair out over the same thing! We have 5PPYH's with Kingston 4GB 1600MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL11 SODIMM, and Sandisk Z400s 128Gb SSD. We have Windows 10 Education 64 bit installed. We have tried builds 1511 and 1607.

We also use them as thin clients for RDP with multiple monitors and have been having the same freezing occur, sometimes several times a day.

We have changed out memory and different brand SSD's to no avail. We are on BIOS 0054 and latest drivers. Does it work ok for you with just a single monitor? We hadn't thought to try that.

MSimo3
Beginner

Sorry for the late feedback, I've been on holiday.

Latest BIOS update was already on installed on the NUC. Have tried different SSD and RAM stick, to no avail.

My cliënt reports that the problem does occur with single monitor setup, but very rarely. With multi monitor setup it happens multiple times a day. This client has 5 more workstations of wich 3 are used on a regular base, all those have a single monitor setup and don't report any issues at all. I could try to connect a second monitor to them, to see if this triggers the same problem with freezing RDP sessions.

I will further investigate to try and pinpoint the cause of the problem. Have tried so far;

- different SSD

- different RAM stick

- different power supply

Only thing that seems to make a difference is when we tried a single monitor setup vs the dual setup.

I will report back if I find out more about the problem. Has any of you found a solution yet?

idata
Community Manager

Hi SiMOTiON:

Thank you very much once again for letting us know that information,

At this point we can try to install the latest version of the graphics driver for the NUC.

Driver version 4256:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25176/Intel-HD-Graphics-Production-Driver-for-Windows-10-6... https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25176/Intel-HD-Graphics-Production-Driver-for-Windows-10-6...

Please let me know the results of trying that driver.

Alberto
MSimo3
Beginner

Tried that already, Windows 10 keeps installing a newer version through the Windows update as soon as I finished installing the driver from the Intel site.

I have disabled the automatic driver installation under "Device Installation Settings", but it keeps automaticly updating the driver to the version you see in the attached screenshot below.

idata
Community Manager

Hello SiMOTiON:

In that case we can try to disable the Windows® automatic updates and then try to install driver version 4256 again:

Get into "control panel"

Look for "system and security"

Then "administrative tools"

Then "services"

Look for "windows updates" and select it, then look for "startup type" and disable it.

Please let me know the results of trying the steps above.

Alberto
MSimo3
Beginner

Will try that to pinpoint the problem, I'll keep you updated.

idata
Community Manager

Hello SiMOTiON:

Perfect, that sounds good.

Once you get the chance, try that and please let us know the results.

Alberto
MSimo3
Beginner

Yesterday I prepared a NUC by disabling Windows update and installing the official driver as sugested. This morning I put it in place and I have just gotten the phonecall that it crashed again.

In the meanwhile I seem to have narrowed the problem down a bit further though. It does also seem to happen with single monitor setup, but only when the screen is connected through HDMI. If only a single monitor is used and this monitor is connected to the VGA port of the NUC, it's stable as a brick house. As soon as a monitor is wired to the HDMI port, it will crash in RDP.

idata
Community Manager

I have some additional data on this machine. I got a memory dumb this time, woo!

So, I'm using one of these NUCs as part of our effort to troubleshoot this issue. This particular hang/crash was interesting for a few reasons.

First, the context:

NUC5PPYH

Graphics driver - 20.19.15.4331 (I know we want the older one but it frankly hasn't made a difference for us and I just got done rebuilding this machine and hadn't got to that yet).

8GB DDR3 RAM

120GB SSD

Windows 10 Pro with all updates

I was in an RDP session at the time (but I'm still not convinced that is related as I've had reports, and seen it for myself, where they locked up just on the login screen, while idle). I was typing an email when the text on screen stopped keeping up with my typing. I smashed on the keyboard for a bit, thinking it might be network/internet related, and then went to move the mouse to minimize my RDP window. I actually had graphic feedback onscreen of the mouse moving for a bit and then it, too, locked up entirely.

I then clicked the power button twice, not intending to hard reboot but just testing that reset function. Finally, knowing what we thought about HDMI being related, I unplugged the HDMI cable and plugged it back in. The monitor went to black, then came back up and showed the desktop as it was before (the NUC was still pushing the image?). A few seconds after that, the NUC rebooted itself. Upon rebooting it I found we had a crash dump for the event. We've only gotten a few of these related to this event but they all indicate the same driver.

The Nirsoft Bluescreen view:

I hope this helps. We really need a graphics driver update or whatever it takes to get these machine stable. I want to sell hundreds more of these; I want them to be our main machine for years to come. I can't do that if I can't use an HDMI cable or dual monitors though.

idata
Community Manager

Oops, forgot the interesting part!

When I logged back into my RDP session, all of the keyboard smashing I had done was there!

The graphics lock up but the machine is still functioning in some ways. It was sending my keystrokes to the remote server even though the graphics had stopped displaying anything. Also, this was the only time we've seen or heard of the graphics going out in stages. The keyboard input stopped displaying onscreen for several seconds but the mouse movement still displayed for a few seconds after that before it, too, froze entirely.

PCutt1
Beginner

I'm going to try the same process on one of our NUC's (disable windows update, install official driver) and see if we can get it to crash. Interesting your findings on the HDMI port, not sure there is much we can tweak with that though - any thoughts Intel?

MSimo3
Beginner

It also crashes with the driver Windows installs. The crashing happens when using RDP on the machines on Windows 10 (haven't tried Windows 7 yet) while you have a monitor connected to the HDMI port.

idata
Community Manager

Hello SiMOTiON:

Thank you very much for that information and for the updates.

To answer your question, there is no information in regard to a known issue with the HDMI ports on the Intel® NUC's.

Just for testing purposes, could you please try the NUC's on a normal environment?

Meaning without using the RDP sessions, just to find out if the NUC's have the same behavior, to rule out a possible hardware problem.

Alberto
MSimo3
Beginner

So far it only happens during RDP.

I have have put the NUC to autoplay Youtube videos for 5 days in a row, and it didn't crash a single time.

I highly doubt if it's a hardware problem, or it would be a design flaw and all 5ppyh NUCs should have it, because I've swapped the NUC with multiple other NUCs, and as soon as I put them on RDP with a monitor connected to HDMI the NUC will crash. They all do it, all 6 of them we have show this same behaviour.

I can try to install a NUC with Windows 7, to see if it happens with Win 7 as well, but to be honest I just want it to work like it should on Windows 10...

idata
Community Manager

Hello SiMOTiON:

You are right, it does not seemed to be a hardware problem, since we tried the BIOS update and the installation of the latest graphics driver and the problem remains, that indicates that it could be a compatibility problem with the RDP application and the NUC, based on the fact also that the NUC works fine when it is not on RDP session.

Regards

Alberto

PCutt1
Beginner

We had a dual monitor unit freezing yesterday. We rebooted with only one monitor connected to the VGA. Froze some time later. Then tried with one monitor connected to HDMI. Again, we had a freeze. When this happens you can't even ping the NUC - complete lock out. Attached a different monitor to HDMI today and it hasn't froze. This is so frustrating, I have 90 of these to deploy for our VDI project and I know we are going to get user pushback and it will be the endpoints fault, not the VMs. Ironically we bought the NUCs over a no brand alternative as we thought they would be reliable.