Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
12305 Discussions

Nuc7i5DNKE freezing on POST with toshiba XG6 nvme ssd

Asxetos21
Novice

Greetings to all,

I am trying to setup 2 practically similar nuc's, one is a "nuc7i3bnk" (the one with 1 HDMI and 1 USB-C /displayport) and a "nuc7i5dnke" (the one with 2 HDMI ports), with 2 nvme ssd's, a Toshiba XG6 512gb nvme ssd and a Samsung PM961 256gb ssd. Preferably i would like to have the Samsung on the i3 and the bigger Toshiba on the i5.

But, i face this problem.

The nuc7i3bnk will work just fine with both ssd's, while the nuc7i5dnke will only work with the Samsung PM961.
If i install the Toshiba XG6 on it, it will freeze on the splash screen (press F2 etc) and will not go further.
The mouse cursor is functioning, but it will not accept any keyboard input, or continue the boot process.

Since both nuc's are so similar, i wonder why, and if someone has an idea for a solution.

Thanks...

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Asxetos21
Novice

That did not work either. The power button menu shows-up, but F2 (or F10) just gives a black screen with the mouse cursor only visible (like before), and it doesn't load the setup. After xxx seconds it self-reboots.

BUT,

Digging deeper, I removed the ssd to be able to enter the BIOS setup, and changed the SATA mode to RAID (default is AHCI). Only then an additional checkbox comes visible, named "RST PCIe Storage Remapping".

Checking that to ON does the trick. Now the boot device detection completes, and i can use the Toshiba SSD as normal.

Strange thing, even though the ssd is shown OK on the BIOS "UEFI boot" options page, the "DEVICES-PCIe" page shows the M2 slot as "unpopulated". I do not mind that at all, as long as the ssd works.

Any way, thank you very much for the effort Leon.

Asxetos...

View solution in original post

6 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @Asxetos21 

1. Is the BIOS in the NUC DN updated?

2. Is the Toshiba SSD recognized in NUC DN BIOS?

Leon

Asxetos21
Novice

Hi Leon,

Both NUC's are updated to the latest bios, v0075 for the i5-DN and v0085 for the i3-BN.

I have no idea if it the Toshiba SSD is recognized in the i5-DN NUC's BIOS, i cannot enter the bios setup. As i explained, as soon as i install it, the NUC stops-halts at the splash screen.

The prompts F2 for setup - F10 for boot selection - etc. are visible, but it will go no further, and pressing F2 or F10 does nothing. It just stops. Halt is not the right word, as the mouse is working. My guess is that the nvme detection routine does not complete.

The Toshiba SSD is recognized OK in the NUC's i3-BN BIOS, and works as it should.

I am still scratching my head...

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @Asxetos21 

In this case, you should be able to enter BIOS from the Power Button Menu.

1. Press and hold Power Button for about 3 seconds. Count 1001, 1002, 1003,1004. Release the Power Button. NUC should reboot into Power Button Menu. You should release the Power Button before 4-sec shut down override or when the Power Button LED changes color from blue to amber.
  2. When you see the Power Button Menu, press on F2 to enter BIOS.
  3. In addition to check if the SSD is recognized in BIOS,  would suggest to reset BIOS to default setting (F9 (Y), F10 (Y))

Leon 

Asxetos21
Novice

I have to admit i did not know that! I will try it asap.

Fingers crossed

Asxetos21
Novice

That did not work either. The power button menu shows-up, but F2 (or F10) just gives a black screen with the mouse cursor only visible (like before), and it doesn't load the setup. After xxx seconds it self-reboots.

BUT,

Digging deeper, I removed the ssd to be able to enter the BIOS setup, and changed the SATA mode to RAID (default is AHCI). Only then an additional checkbox comes visible, named "RST PCIe Storage Remapping".

Checking that to ON does the trick. Now the boot device detection completes, and i can use the Toshiba SSD as normal.

Strange thing, even though the ssd is shown OK on the BIOS "UEFI boot" options page, the "DEVICES-PCIe" page shows the M2 slot as "unpopulated". I do not mind that at all, as long as the ssd works.

Any way, thank you very much for the effort Leon.

Asxetos...

Asxetos21
Novice

An update,

Although windows will see the Toshiba SSD with the "RST PCIe Storage Remapping" switch to ON, other operating systems will not.

I experimented a little, and found that Linux and Vmware ESXi refuse to install, they report no storage device is present.

Bummer...