cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Nuc8i3BEH solid orange/red HDD activity light

Hi everyone

When I first setup the NUC everything went fine, I installed windows and then updated all drivers including the bios. After doing this the nuc kept restarting itself randomly. I thought maybe the RAM was an issue so I opened it up and tried swapping the RAM around ( same RAM, I don't have another pair to test with) then put it all back together. As soon as I plug the power cord in the HDD light lights up and stays on, if I press the power button nothing happens no boot at all basically dead.

I tried removing the harddrive and turn it one without it and same thing. I also removed one RAM stick and also same thing. I tried different plug outlets arond the house too. Any ideas? not sure if the NUC is faulty or the ram. I'm using 8gig (2x4gb) corsair vengeance.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

My initial reaction to this LED coming on like this would be to check if the drives are installed properly. Since you are saying this happens with no drives installed, then I would have to agree that there is something wrong with the unit. If you have had the unit long enough that you cannot return it via your point of sale, then you should contact Intel Customer Support directly and arrange for the unit to be replaced via the RMA process.

You could use the forms service (here: https://supporttickets.intel.com/servicecenter), but I cannot recommend it. It is best to contact Intel Customer Support directly using your phone. Intel has support people literally world-wide and a great many languages are supported. Use the geo-specific links below to find the closest (hopefully local) phone number for your country:

You can also try using the chat service (http://intelsupportchat.force.com/icslivechat/ics_tech_desktop_ww_english_Chat), but understand that this is English-only and is subject to office hours (9-5 M-F) in the Pacific (UTC-8) time zone.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Hello @ELegg​ 

I've understand from your post, that your NUC worked after Windows 10 installation. The problem started after updating Bios and drivers. If so, you may try to recover bios using Security Jumper removed method:

1. Disconnect the Power Adapter and remove the bottom cover. Remove the yellow Security Jumper.
  2. Prepare USB stick fully formatted to FAT32 (disable quick format option during format). Format your USB on Windows machine (rather than Linux or MAC). Save the Bios file BE0056.bio (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28394/BIOS-Update-BECFL357-86A-?product=126150 ) on this stick and insert it into USB slot .
  3. Reconnect the Power Adapter and press Power Button. The recovery process should start automatically after about 30 seconds.
  4. After finishing the bios recovery, switch the Power OFF (long press on Power Button) and disconnect the Power Adapter.
  5. Replace the yellow Security Jumper between pins 1-2.
  6. Close the bottom cover, reconnect the Power Adapter and try work with your NUC.

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Yes it seemed like it was working fine, no restarts didn't really have it on long enough to see if there was a problem as I did the BIOS update pretty much straight away. I was setting it up for the first time last night. I did the BIOS update using the windows software tool and it seemed good but then after awhile it started restarting itself and seemed to get worse. Immediately after disconnecting power and swap RAM around it started showing the red light. It doesn't power on at all. Almost like its bricked, I'll try removing the jumper and see if it even turns on, I'm just worried the more I fiddle they going to say I bricked it. Thanks for the replies

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Bios recovery with Security Jumper removed is normal procedure and will not void your NUC warranty even if your NUC is or will be bricked. This is not user fault if the NUC is bricked, using Intel's software or firmware update. Here you may find additional instructions: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005532/mini-pcs.html .

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

Hello ELegg, I am following up with your case and see that we have not heard back from you. Were you able to check the suggestion provided by Leon? If you need more assistance do not hesitate to reply. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

Hello ELegg, I am following up with your case and see that we have not heard back from you. If you need more assistance do not hesitate to reply. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi

Thank you for the follow up. I ended up returning the unit for a new one and all is good now thank you. ​

0 Kudos