Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pb339
Novice

Nuc8i5BEH 30 second power blink, no bios

Was running Linux on Nuc8BEH and did a restart. Did not come up. Instead the power light comes on for 30 seconds, blinks and comes back on, over and over.  Thought maybe power supply, tried another power supply, same issue.

removed dram and flash, got 5 blinks, no dram. put dram back, now 30 second on, few seconds off blink. No video comes out.  Tried moving jumper to reset cmos. same thing happens.

Can't find any reference to what a 30 second blink means.  Only had the unit a couple of months.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

16 blinks ON/OFF (0.25 seconds on, 0.25 seconds off) than the computers shuts down indicates CPU thermal trip warning. Check that the cooling blower works, chassis ventilation holes are not blocked and unit has sufficient airflow.

Leon

pb339
Novice

power on, 30 seconds blue light no blink, then a several second blink, then 30 seconds no blink, then short several second blink, ....

fan does come on.  no video. no bios, no nothing. power button does not shutdown, only pulling plug.  short disk light blink at 30 seconds.

LeonWaksman
Super User

1. I understand, its looks that the NUC is rebooting.

2. If you are connected to TV monitor, please check the video output while connected to PC monitor. There are TV monitors that are not supporting BIOS display resolution.

3. If you are connected to PC monitor and you don't see video output, I suggest to recover BIOS from the Power Button Menu. Please describe your NUC model - NUC8BEH is not complete number. The model should be for example NUC8i5BEH.

4. Before BIOS recovery, I suggest to power ON your NUC with minimum hardware configuration (which is enough to see the BIOS video and enter BIOS settings). Please remove the SSD and the HDD. Power ON your NUC with one SO DIMM at time only.

Leon

pb339
Novice

Nuc8i5BEH.

I had already taken out the SSD and 1 of the drams. I tried both dram slots, and both drams with 1 at a time.  I also removed the keyboard and mouse.

In no combination do I get any video. I tried with a 1080p monitor, as well as 2 different widescreen monitors.  It almost does look like it powers on for 30 seconds, then powers off/resets, and repeats.

How does one reprogram the bios with no user interface?   And did it just magically lose the bios? 

pb339
Novice

ok. I put the latest Nuc8i5BEK bios on a usb stick, inserted it into the NUC8, and powered on, holding the power switch for 3 seconds.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/mini-pcs/BIOS-Recovery-NUC.pdf

It seems to do nothing, nothing on the screen.  but after 30 seconds or so, the power button menu came up, and F4 allowed me to do the BIOS recovery.

It is now working again.  I have no idea what went wrong.  The BIOS recovery found the old bios.

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

If the USB stick is larger than 32GB, find another one. A USB 2.0 flash disk is best. Reformat the USB stick to the FAT32 file system with the Quick Format option disabled. Then put the .BIO file on it and try the Power Button Menu-based BIOS recovery.

Hope this helps,

...S

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Oh yea, use a USB port on the back of the NUC. There are issues with BIOS Recovery using the front ports.

...S