Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
Announcements
Do you have improvements you would like us to make on this community site? If so, we would love to hear your feedback! Click here for an 8 question survey. Thanks!

11284 Discussions

Nuc8i7hvk - How to undervolt cpu

TKask2
Beginner

Hi to all! Because it is the first time that i have to make such changes to BIOS, and i too have thermal issues, could someone please provide an analytical guide with all the changes that have to be done?

Firstly before doing anything should i keep Turbo Boost enabled and run Prime95 & Furmark for correcting thermal behavior and then apply any changes to the BIOS?

Then i just keep enabled turbo boost and apply -150vm in vcore or there are any other changes that have to be done?

After all that re-run Prime95 & Furmark?

Thanking you in advance!!

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Ray_W_Intel
Employee

Just for clarity, when you say "I too have thermal issues" can you describe the system behavior that is leading you to that conclusion?

TKask2
Beginner

I just bought the unit and it's easily reaches 100 celcius in matter of seconds after boot with only running HWinfo!

TKask2
Beginner

When I say "I too have thermal issues" I'm reffering to the following thread

https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P0000490WZDSA2/nuc8i7hvk-no-undervolting-enabled?language=en...

Ray_W_Intel
Employee

And I take it you have done the thermal conditioning of the TIM by running prime95 and furmark at the same time for burn-in of the TIM? If your CPU immediately hits 100C, undervolting is not going to do much for you.

TKask2
Beginner

No I haven't done the burn in test yet that's why I'm asking!This is what I should first.. right?​

Ray_W_Intel
Employee

Yes, you should do the burn-in first.

TKask2
Beginner

Thank you!I will do the test and then I will update here!​

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

While you are waiting for it to complete, I suggest that you read this article: Plundervolt! A new Intel Processor ‘undervolting’ Vulnerability

...S

TKask2
Beginner