When both sticks are in, the OS crashes during boot time: Black screen, no response, not even CTRL+ALT+DEL, hard reboot needed.
- Trying to reinstall any OS, it crashes half way (LinuxMint, Windows Server 2012)
- Sometimes, Ubuntu server (no GUI) would install but have the same crash at random times.
- It works fine with 8Gb, with either stick of RAM in either slot, which is frustrating.
- The 16GB are recognised in the BIOS
- BIOS is updated to the latest version
- I've been trying to get some logs by installing an OS with 8Gb installed and then adding the other 8Gb stick but the crash is instant and I haven't found any interesting logs so far.
I work in IT support so I should have been able to figure it out but I suspect a hardware fault with the NUC.
Is there anything else I should test to make sure either way?
The problem is a fault in a DIMM, a fault in the board (or DIMM socket) or an incompatibility between the two DIMMs (I *have* seen this before).
Replacing the pair of DIMMs is the easier thing to try first, so I suggest you do that. If the problem repeats, then you can go through the RMA of the base unit.
Hope this helps,
That was my assessment too but I I think it's the board.
I tried a pair of G-Skill F3-1600C11D-16GRSL in the past and had the same result, so it's very likely that the board has an issue.
I'll RMA it and post my results back.