cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

OS crash with 16Gb of RAM

Hi,

I've finally purchased a 16Gb Kit from Crucial with 2x8Gb for my NUC5i5RYH http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/nuc5i5ryh/CT6997365 http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/nuc5i5ryh/CT6997365

When both sticks are in, the OS crashes during boot time: Black screen, no response, not even CTRL+ALT+DEL, hard reboot needed.

- Trying to reinstall any OS, it crashes half way (LinuxMint, Windows Server 2012)

- Sometimes, Ubuntu server (no GUI) would install but have the same crash at random times.

- It works fine with 8Gb, with either stick of RAM in either slot, which is frustrating.

- The 16GB are recognised in the BIOS

- BIOS is updated to the latest version

- I've been trying to get some logs by installing an OS with 8Gb installed and then adding the other 8Gb stick but the crash is instant and I haven't found any interesting logs so far.

I work in IT support so I should have been able to figure it out but I suspect a hardware fault with the NUC.

Is there anything else I should test to make sure either way?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

The problem is a fault in a DIMM, a fault in the board (or DIMM socket) or an incompatibility between the two DIMMs (I *have* seen this before).

Replacing the pair of DIMMs is the easier thing to try first, so I suggest you do that. If the problem repeats, then you can go through the RMA of the base unit.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Thanks Scott,

That was my assessment too but I I think it's the board.

I tried a pair of G-Skill F3-1600C11D-16GRSL in the past and had the same result, so it's very likely that the board has an issue.

I'll RMA it and post my results back.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

Let us know how it goes...

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

It was replaced by intel.

One week turnaround from pickup to delivery.

It's being installed as we speak with no crash and 16Gb RAM.

I'm happy now!

0 Kudos