cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Old monitor, new NUC and drivers

Hi

Yesterday I got a new NUC (NUC8i7HVK), installed windows and all seem well. Device manager and windows update told me all drivers and hardware are recognized and up to date.

I then realized that I can't set a higher resolution than 1024x768 (old monitor). To make a long story short, I installed an application that scans my drivers and suggests updates to it.

It told me there is a newer version for the radeon adapter (and more). After installing it, I still couldn't set a higher resolution.

I ran the scanner again and saw that there are even newer drivers for both radeon and pnp monitor and I can install them only with the full version. Fortunately I had the trial time so so after it installed those 2 drivers, all is well and I could set a higher resolution.

My question: why did I need to use a special software and its "full" capabilities to make it work? Shouldn't Windows (or something else that I miss) know how to handle all of it by itself?

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Super User

1. It not clear to me what is your problem? Are you using monitor with maximum resolution 1024 x 768 and you want set higher resolution? Please connect your NUC to HD or UHD TV and see what resolution you can reach.
  2. My NUC8i7HVK is connected with DP cable to DELL U2415 monitor. The resolution is set to 1920 x 1200 (which is recommended resolution for this monitor).
  3. You should install two graphics drivers:

Intel DCH Graphics Driver Version: 27.20.100.8190 

and

AMD Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.2.2 Driver

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Sorry for missing out relevant information.

The monitor supports 1680x1050 but after all installations were done, I was only able to select 1024x768.

Only after using that driver scanner application (and only with its "full" capabilities) and install its update suggestions, I was able to select 1680x1050.

One more thing: The monitor has only vga so I had to use a vga->HDMI adapter. Not that it mattered eventually.

My question is why did I need to use a dedicated driver software for this instead of Windows recognizing everything that is in the NUC?

You might say I should ask this in a Windows forum but since this problem happened with a NUC, I thought maybe the people of knowledge here, will share their experience.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi Aamos1,

That's not the expected behavior, you shouldn't need to run a third-party application (driver scanner application) to enable the full system capabilities, in this case 1680x1050 resolution.

I dont know if this is happening because of you are using a VGA monitor and you have an adapter in between but in a regular system combination using HDMI to HDMI you would only need the appropriate driver:

AMD: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-20-2-2

Intel https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29231/Intel-HD-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-64-bit-for-N...

Regards,

Ronny G

0 Kudos