Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Older NUC6i5SYK has started to BSOD frequently, cause/solution?

I know that this is an older unit, but it has functioned flawlessly, until 2 days ago. The message is WHEA_uncorrectable_error.

It is randomly failing, sometimes it takes hours and sometimes it is a couple of minutes. It is still running an old BIOS version, it was updated at build but not since (028 maybe).

Is this the fatal power delivery issue? Is there any short term workaround?

If this is terminal then I guess I am searching for the newest NUC that will take the 2x8GB RAM that is in this one. I presume an 8i5BEH would fill the bill.

And then I have to work with MS to mover the WIN10 install over.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

What are the details of the WHEA_Uncorrectable_Error?

It is sometimes bad memory that is the cause of this issue. Try running with only one SODIMM installed and see if it acts differently. You have two SODIMMs and there are two SODIMM sockets they could be in, which means there are 4 combinations to try.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Hi @EBles​ ,

1. You should update your BIOS. Since you have very old Bios installed, you shall do this update using BIOS Recovery Method with the BIOS Security Jumper removed method:
  2. Prepare USB stick fully formatted to FAT32 with Bios file SY0072.bio  . Format your USB with Quick Format option unchecked. Do not format your USB in MAC (OS) or Linux machine. Use Windows. Use 8 - 32 GB USB stick.
  3. Disconnect the power adapter and remove the bottom panel from your NUC.
  4. Remove the Yellow Bios Security Jumper. (page 55 in Technical Product Specification .
  5. Insert the USB with the SY0072.bio file into rear USB slot. You may use also front USB port with yellow color (charging port).
  6. Reconnect the power adapter and power ON the NUC. Wait 30 sec - 2min. The Recovery process will start automatically and will end after 2 -5 minutes.
  7. When bios recovery is completed, press and hold the Power Button to switch the power OFF, remove the power adapter and replace the Security Jumper (pins 1-2) . Reinstall the bottom panel.
  8. Power your NUC ON.
  9. Enter Bios setting by pressing F2 during boot process.
  10. Press F9(followed by "Y"), to set Bios to default settings. Press F10 (followed by "Y"), to save the settings and exit to O.S. Let the NUC fully reboot.

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Thanks for the tips. The BIOS load went smoothly. I'll work with memory today and see if it helps.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Updating Bios was the most important. Now, you should update your Windows (if is not updated yet), to the latest version - Use Windows update.

Next download and install Intel Driver & Support Assistant. It should help to update all the drivers.

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Thanks for the input, but no joy. Some combinations run longer, but none are stable.

I guess and 8i5 is in the near future.I have liked the Iris video.

Not the best time to be laying out money.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

If you want more help, please download the Intel System Support Utility (SSU). Run the SSU scan and save the results. The .txt file with the results please attach to your post (use "paperclip", below the left bottom corner).

Leon

0 Kudos