Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

On first startup, my Windows 10 BOXNUC8I7HVK4 hangs with a frozen mouse pointer with the "waiting" symbol. If I kill it by holding the power button and then reboot, it boots to Windows 10 fine. Can anyone suggest how I can resolve this?

Jump to solution

I have a BOXNUC8I7HVK4 NUC. I use 3 x 4k monitors. One is connected tot he HDMI port on the back and I previously had the additional 2 4k monitors connected to the mini-DP ports. However, I was having some instances where one monitor would not come back after sleeping or would cycle off and on, so I changed to use the 2 additional 4k monitors via the USB-C ports. During the changeover, I updated all the drivers to the latest. Now, possibly after the BIOS update that occurred the other day, whenever I restart or reboot the PC, the first time, the PC only boots to black screens with a frozen mouse pointer with Windows 10 "waiting" circle thing. If I then power down by holding the power button for a time and then restart, it boots fine.. I think this started after the BIOS update it asked me to do a few days ago. Can anyone suggest what is going on here and / or how I could resolve this issue? Thanks

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Hello SLOWI,

Thank you for the response and the information provided.

Checking the updated pictures and as you have mentioned before, the screens have changed the aspect during boot after the graphics driver clean installation steps.

The BIOS recovery steps were recommended based on the information that you provided on the issue description. Since the issue started after running a BIOS update using the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant, the computer was frozen with the loading circle we got as a possible cause that during the BIOS update process a file was corrupted and affected the system performance.

1. Are you using any Video Adapters or Converters?
  2. I also noticed that the operating system version is not up to date, the version installed is Build 17134 (1803), and there are two updates available, that might help to resolve wake from sleep issues.

I would like to ask you for a second system report, after performing the graphics drivers clean installation since I've seen some errors of Windows shown in the first report and I would like to confirm:

1. Please run the Intel® System Support Utility: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- 
  • Click the menu where it says summary to change to Detailed View. 
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save. You can save the file to any accessible location on your computer. 
  • Please attach the document to the next post. 

Best Regards, 

Abigail G

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Highlighted

Hello SLOWI,

Thank you for the posting on the Intel Communities.

In order to have more details about the issue that you are experiencing I would like to know:

1. Could you please provide me with a short video replicating the issue?
  2. Which method did you use to update the BIOS version?
  3. Do you remember what other updates you have performed recently?
  4. Please run the Intel® System Support Utility to have the details about the drivers installed: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- 
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save. You can save the file to any accessible location on your computer. 

Best Regards, 

Abigail G 

Under Contract to Intel Corporation. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi Abigail,

1. I have attached a couple of pictures that show what I see when I turn the unit on after it being shut down. There appears to be disk activity and network activity but no matter how long I leave it, it doesn't move. The cursor can't be moved and is not animated either - just static.IMG_3139.jpgIMG_3140.jpgIMG_3138.jpg
  2. I used the Intel Driver and Support Assistant https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/intel-driver-support-assistant.html
  3. I did recently update all the drivers as I was attempting to rectify the issues I saw when using 2 monitors plugged into the DP ports. The only driver that can't seem to be updated is the Intel Management Engine Interface - it fails when I try to do it for some reason. I've attached a detailed report from that utility.
  4. See next reply - for some reason I can't attach two docs to this reply.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

4.. Attached detailed report.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello SLOWI,

Thank you for the response and information provided.

Based on the information that you have provided, my recommendations would be the following:

Perform a BIOS recovery using the BIOS security jumper:

1. Download the Recovery BIOS (HN0058.BIO) file. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28953/BIOS-Update-HNKBLi70-86A-?product=126143
  2. Copy the recovery file (*.BIO) to a USB device.
  3. Shut down the computer and unplug the AC power adapter.
  4. Open the chassis and look for the BIOS security jumper, it is yellow and is close to the RAM slots. 
  5. Please remember the position that it has, should be on the 1-2 pin. 
  6. Remove the BIOS security jumper.
  7. Please remove the drive. 
  8. Plug the USB device into a USB port of the target computer and turn it on.
  9. Wait 2–5 minutes for the recovery process to complete.
  10. The computer turns off when the recovery process is complete, or it prompts you to turn it off.
  11. Remove the USB device.
  12. Replace the BIOS security jumper and your drive.
  13. Close the chassis.
  14. Restart the computer.

To install the latest version of the Intel® Management Engine:

1. Go to "Control Panel" 
  2. Programs
  3. Uninstall a program. 
  4. Please select the Intel® Management Engine Consumer Driver and uninstall it.
  5. After following the prior steps, please download the latest version of the Intel Management engine driver for your Intel® NUC Kit using this link https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28215/Intel-Management-Engine-Consumer-Driver-for-Windows-....
  6. Install the new version.

Please post me back with the outcomes of these testings.

Best Regards, 

Abigail G 

Under Contract to Intel Corporation. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello SLOWI,

Were you able to review the recommendations provided?

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Wanner G.

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi,

I upgraded the management engine successfully.

I haven't had time and am somewhat reluctant to revert the BIOS. I use the computer every day, and if you could tell me that yes, it would definitely fix the issue and not create any others, then yes I would probably revert the BIOS as you suggest. But I don't want to do it if it just a random suggestion in the absence of any other as to what might fix things. I updated the BIOS to where it is at at the moment because of all the graphics issues I had when the monitors were connected to the DP ports. I have tried reconnecting to the DP ports but still has issues, particularly after a long sleep where one monitor is not detected properly. If I just use a single monitor on the HDMI there are no issues, but since I got this PC specifically for the ability to connect multiple monitors it is quite annoying that I am having these issues. Looking at the forum I can see other people having similar issues. e.g. https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P0000490XyMSAU/8i7hvk-nuc-1-of-3-monitors-doesnt-turn-on-aft...

What I would like is perhaps you to tell me how I could turn on some sort of logging so that when the PC starts and hangs we could at least work out what it is hanging at.

If you have any other suggestions apart from reverting the BIOS, please let us know.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello SLOWI,

Performing a BIOS recovery update does not mean that you have to downgrade the BIOS to an earlier version.

You can also follow these recommendations:

1. A newer Intel® HD Graphics driver version was released. Perform a clean installation of the graphics drivers available for your system following these steps:

A. Uninstall the Radeon™ RX Vega M Graphics driver

1. In the Control Panel select Programs and Features.

2. Select AMD Software and then click Uninstall.

3. Click Yes when prompted, "Are you sure you want to uninstall the AMD driver?"

4. The uninstall process will begin removing drivers and software components. Note: The screen may go black intermittently during the uninstall process and may last for up to 10 minutes.

5. Once the uninstall finishes, the software should provide options to Restart Now or Close. Select Restart Now to complete the uninstall process.

Note: A system restart is required to complete the uninstallation process. Before restarting please save and exit out of any open applications.

B. Uninstall the Intel® HD Graphics Driver

1. Download the driver for the NUC and save it on your system.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28975/Intel-HD-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-64-bit-for-N...

2. Disconnect the unit from the Internet.

3. Uninstall any existing DCH Graphics driver via Start > Settings > Apps & Features.

4. Uninstall the (DCH) Intel® Graphics Control Panel via Start > Settings > Apps & Features.

5. Restart the computer.

6. In Device Manager > Right-click on "Intel® HD Graphics".

If "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" is already listed skip to step#10.

7. Select "Uninstall device".

8. Enable the option "Delete the driver software for this device" and click "Uninstall".

9. Restart the computer.

This should delete any non-DCH driver stored on Windows driver repository. Repeat steps #6 through #9 until "Intel® HD Graphics" changes to "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter")

10. Install the DCH driver downloaded in step #1 and the Radeon™ RX Vega M Graphics driver.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28600/Radeon-RX-Vega-M-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-64-b...

11. Restart the computer.

12. Reconnect to the Internet.

If the issue persists:

1. For testing purposes, please boot the unit with one monitor, straight-through connection with a single cable.

2. If you have other devices connected to the unit, try starting the computer with those devices disconnected. If the PC starts successfully without external devices connected, try repeating with more devices connected to identify the specific device or combination of devices that are contributing to the hang. 

3. Try checking the health status of the SSD with a SAMSUNG* utility (e.g. SAMSUNG* Magician). Make sure the it is also running the latest firmware.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello SLOWI,

Were you able to follow the recommendations provided?

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I followed the steps above to remove then re-install the Intel and AMD graphics drivers. Sadly the issue is still present, although has changed slightly - instead of the stationary mouse pointer, I get one or two screens showing what is shown in the attached pic. I checked the Samsung SSD out - the Samsung Magician Software shows that the firmware is latest and there's no issues with the drive. The system still - as per my post above - starts fine with just 1 monitor connected to the HDMI port. The hang only seems to occur on the first attempt at boot after a shutdown. The monitors are 1 x BENQ PD3200U-T on HDMI port and 2 x Philips 328P6VU monitors connected via USB-C. The original issues I had with the monitors connected via mini-DP after a sleep still occur. I am not sure what could be different the second time I boot i.e. after the hang, I press the power button until it shuts down and then wait 1-2 secs, then press again to restart, but whatever it is works. I was wondering whether it could be something to do with the PC trying to wake the monitors after they have entered power save.

What would be good is if you could provide some way of logging what is happening on startup to see when / what it is hanging on.

Out of curiosity, what difference would doing a Recovery BIOS Flash make to the system? Why did you suggest that? Has there been an issue that could be related that could be fixed by doing that?

If you have any other suggestions, I'll give them a try if not too time consuming, otherwise I will just live with it until I replace the gear. It is pretty clear to me that this system has some video or other driver issues that make it pretty annoying to use and is disappointing that it is so hard to work out what the cause / fix is.

Thanks for your help.

2019-07-30_10-07-44.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello SLOWI,

Thank you for the response and the information provided.

Checking the updated pictures and as you have mentioned before, the screens have changed the aspect during boot after the graphics driver clean installation steps.

The BIOS recovery steps were recommended based on the information that you provided on the issue description. Since the issue started after running a BIOS update using the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant, the computer was frozen with the loading circle we got as a possible cause that during the BIOS update process a file was corrupted and affected the system performance.

1. Are you using any Video Adapters or Converters?
  2. I also noticed that the operating system version is not up to date, the version installed is Build 17134 (1803), and there are two updates available, that might help to resolve wake from sleep issues.

I would like to ask you for a second system report, after performing the graphics drivers clean installation since I've seen some errors of Windows shown in the first report and I would like to confirm:

1. Please run the Intel® System Support Utility: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- 

Best Regards, 

Abigail G

A Contingent Worker at Intel.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi - I am pleased to say that the issue seems to be resolved with the update to the latest Windows. The machine has booted 1st time, 3 times in a row. It does seem to still briefly show the purple vertical lines for a few seconds, but after 1-2 seconds it continues to the Windows 10 login screen. Thanks for your suggestions. I had thought the machine was up to date with all drivers and Windows, but after your suggestion I looked again at the Windows Update and although it said that the Windows Version I had installed was up to date - I hadn't actually seen the message below that said that there was a new release or whatever. Anyway, I am glad that this seems to be resolved now. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello SLOWI,

Thank you for sharing the updates.

I am glad that the issue was solved by updating your operating system version. I will close this inquiry now. If you need further assistance, please post a new question.

Best Regards, 

Abigail G

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos