Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Onscreen "Caps Lock" and "Num Lock" messages (Windows 10)

Just deployed a number of NUC7PJYH, Genuine Windows 10 Pro x64 1909, using a Genuine Microsoft Wireless 850 keyboard and mouse, when the Caps Lock and Num Lock are use, theirs no message on the screen. The keyboards has no status lights.

After hours of research theirs supposed to be a "Screen Configurations" TAB in the display properties which Microsoft says its supplied by the video driver.

So how do we enable the lock button messages sp the client knows when either the Caps and Num Locks are on?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
New Contributor III

Microsoft is wrong. The graphics driver does not control key display messages on-screen. That should be done by any software included with the device. If Microsoft does not include software to display these then you are not going to get them.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Being a Lenovo partner and by history i know this:

Lenovo devices still show Caps Lock details, this is as there drivers have an overlay in the OS

Microsoft removed the "built in" support for overlay IF THE DRIVERS DIDNT DO IT in version 1909.

Today with Windows 10 1909 Lenovo still shows the Caps Locks message over by the Tray as this is done from the graphics driver and supporting software, Intel NUC and other Intel server boards do not show this as the native display driver has no overlay capability. I know this true as i use an S1200 Intel board with Windows 10 and since 1909 does not show the Caps Lock message, same with Intel Nuc. Lenovo systems i have running Windows 10 1909 still show the Caps Lock message, via buitl in support by the video driver.

Upshot, Intel hardware running Windows 10 1909 will not show the Caps Lock notification. Microsoft being wrong or not, means Lenovo works, Intel does not, mostly over the Video driver.

please advise...

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello (((GRIFFCOMM,

To better assist you, we would like to have more information about your system configuration:

• Generate a system report with the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report directly to this thread.

1. Intel® SSU Download link
  2. Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU takes you to the "Summary View".
  3. Click on "Summary" to change to a "Detailed View".
  4. To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".

Also, could you please let us know if the issue persists if you use the Microsoft* Basic Display Adapter?

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello (((GRIFFCOMM,

If you need further assistance, please let us know. We will be glad to help you.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello (((GRIFFCOMM,

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this thread. If you need further assistance, please start a new thread. We will be glad to help you.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Incase others see this, we got it working... We are using a Microsoft Wireless keyboard and mouse (800 series), we had to download the driver / application from Microsoft for that keyboard and mouse, installed then restarted the system  It now shows the CAPS LOCK and NUM LOCK status on the screen above the clock when those buttons are pressed (they show up for about 3 seconds).

Even though Windows 10 has a driver for the keyboard and mouse, it will now show the CAPS LOCK and NUM LOCK status on screen, only the Microsoft one will (which appears to be over written in a Windows 10 driver update periodically. 

0 Kudos