Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Novice

Original USB boot drive still showing as a boot option.

Jump to solution

I'm trying to boot to the latest Windows 10 boot media but when I enter the boot menu I see a old USB drive that isn't attached to the device.

My drive that is attached isn't showing as a boot option. And it won't boot to the USB drive that it is showing.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User

Hello @RHout​ 

1. I'm assuming that disconnecting the CMOS battery will not clear the old entries from the CMOS memory. This is some bug in BIOS.
  2. Use one of the methods shown on video clip to remove the old entries: Method 1, Method 2.
  3. Once you will delete the old entries, the new USB device will appear in the Boot Menu.

Leon

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Highlighted
Super User

What is the model number of your NUC?

What version of Windows 10? 1909?

From where did you get the latest Windows Boot media?

Doc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

This is a NUC5i3RYH I just installed the latest BIOS.

It's Win10 1909 ISO downloaded from Microsoft Licensing Service Center.

But the bigger issue to me here is the fact the system is showing a boot drive option that isn't attached to the device. I know the boot media I have is good because it's been used many times.

I've seen this happen on several of our older NUC's and I think I figured it out the problem once but I don't remember the solution.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

When you updated the bios (assuming the F7 method), on the reboot did you F2 to go into the bios and F9 to reset defaults, then F10 to save?

Doc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

To update the BIOS I used F2 then Update BIOS under tools and used the RY0383.bio file. I have entered the BIOS and used F9 then F10 but I still see the Centon DS Sport USB drive as a option and I don't even have that device anymore. I tried clearing the CMOS using the jumpers but that doesn't look like it did anything.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

I now pulled the CMOS battery and turned it back on and even had to reset the clock but it's still showing the Centon DS Sport USB drive.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Hello @RHout​ 

1. I'm assuming that disconnecting the CMOS battery will not clear the old entries from the CMOS memory. This is some bug in BIOS.
  2. Use one of the methods shown on video clip to remove the old entries: Method 1, Method 2.
  3. Once you will delete the old entries, the new USB device will appear in the Boot Menu.

Leon

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Novice

Wow thanks @LWAKSMAN​ 

I used Method 2 and it worked great.

Man I sometimes miss the days when the OS knew nothing about the BIOS.

Thanks so much for help on this.😀