Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Overclocking

Is it possible to overclock this NUC, for a short amount of time (30-60mins)?

I do some intensive tasks such as LR/PS, or even a quick gaming session, wouldn't mind a tad more oompf for that time frame, I tend to take breaks every hour or so.

If so, how, and what steps are recommended?

Cheers!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
14 Replies
Highlighted
New Contributor I

I am interested in this subject too but we need to know which NUC you have .

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Oh! I thought I was posting in the NUC Skull Canyon (NUC6i7KYK) sub forum... I did have to sign in, perhaps that action of signing in took me out of that forum :/

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Easily done. I have a NUC5i5RYH and I, too, would like to see if it can be made to move a bit faster but without any detriment whatsoever to its longevity. Looking forward to hearing from someone in the know.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

There is no sub-forum for the Skull Canyon. There is just a forum for NUC products. Users should always identify their NUCs when posting.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Forum is slightly confusing then, the left side has all these numbers and NUC models, looks like yer supposed to click it then make a post :/

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

Actually, if you watch while you click on one of those shortcuts, you will see that it applies (that) search criteria to the displayed conversations.

But yes, you do use the Ask a Question action shortcut to ask a new question.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Plenty of replies about the forum, zero posts about the topic matter, lol.

Off to a great start!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor I

BruceBanner,

If overclocking is your only question, the NUC6i7KYK can be overclocked.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022058/mini-pcs/intel-nuc-kits.html Overclock Assistant Guides for Intel® NUC

But me thinks you are asking something else as well ... such as can I do this as a temporary setting? or Is there a front end tool that will allow you to overclock and reset without rebooting?

It's not clear.

Have a look through the guide for the NUC6i7KYK

If that doesn't answer your question or your question is different, please clarify.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I am indeed seeking something else, a hand to hold lol.

I'm not overly techy savy, before the NUC I owned higher end desktop PC's with more grunt so never felt the need to ask for more power during the gaming or photo processing sessions I did. I really like this NUC, eventually I plan to get a eGPU for it, but until that time happens I was curious to know if I could demand a little more from the fella without unduly straining it.

When it comes to overclocking I know nothing. I only know it stresses components higher than would be safe for extended periods of time. I don't know if overclocking can be specific to certain components only, RAM, CPU or Graphics, or just a global 'all is ramped up'. I'm aware that it's recommended to install some kind of temperature monitoring software during an overclocking session, using it as a gauge to perhaps unclock when temps get too high.

When it comes to my needs I'm not entirely sure what needs upped. I have read for example that LR (Lightroom) stresses CPU more and asks more of that component whereas PS (Photoshop) relies more heavily on GPU. In fact on my last machine build, the Geforce 960 4gb wasn't utilised at all by LR but indeed was in PS, the two programs seem to differ substantially in the editing world (but I needed and used both).

From what you have sent me it looks like to overclock this NUC is a BIOS thing, namely a reset of the PC, F2 on boot, etc etc.

Whilst it's nice to know I can overclock, via this method is pretty unattractive. I tend to jump in and out of a gaming session or photo editing session and would prefer to not have to reboot the pc in between those times. Workflow wise I might often need to leave PS and LR open and at their last editing point before resuming, to shut everything down would not work that well for me.m

So I wonder if there is another way to overclock, perhaps by a 3rd party program? I once (years ago) installed a program to monitor my old desktop pc's temp, CAM software I think it was, IIRC it had a overclocking section where you could ramp up values, I never used it at the time but I did note its presence. Maybe however it can only overclock certain MB, CPU's and GPU's and a NUC board is a different thing altogether...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor I

Hello BB,

System tuning is a BIOS only function. System monitoring tools however, are everywhere. I

I use PS, AI, LR, and other Adobe suite products professionally, and Digital Audio Workstation software for recording and creating backing tracks.

Configuration:

NUC8i7HVK, 32 GB, 500GB m2, 120GB m2

In general, PS will demand more GPU and LS requires more CPU. Overclocking on these NUCs to realize a significant improvement that balances those demands and increases performance while remaining cool enough not to have the system throttle either of both the CPU/GPU, is not possible, in my opinion.

For my purposes, these NUCs are fine for everything I've thrown at them. All day editing a training video in Camtasia with over 70 clips, switching over to PS to do a rending on an image I want to import ... no problem.

There are, however, some tuning and tweaking of the OS that I do no matter what:

• Move swapfile (symlink) and pagefile off of the C: drive and onto a second (small 120 GB) m2 (this drive is dedicated to just this purpose)
  • Set system performance to adjust for best performance
  • I have a special boot mode that loads just the essential system resources I need to work, nothing more.
  • Make sure that your processor scheduling is set to applications and not background tasks
  • Save your Adobe/Camtasia work on the C: drive during all of your editing (assuming the C: drive is where the programs are installed).

A eGPU is a nice idea if your pockets are deep, because your costs will double, just for the considerable uplift you'll get for PS work.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Thanks Mike for the detailed and informative reply.

So it sounds to me that overclocking isn't really going to assist much, or the hassle and potential damage/trade off isn't worth it. k'.

For specs here's mine;

Core i7-6770HQ CPU @ 2.6ghz

Memory Single 16gb DDR4-2134

C: Samsung SSD 960 EVO 250gb (programs only)

G: Samsung SSD 850 EVO SCSI (data only)

Some questions;

1) From your first point (Move swapfile etc), from seeing the above specs and outlay, do you think I should follow in your footsteps? If so how do I do it?

2) How do you set system performance to being 'best performance'? Typically with games or programs I'll scroll through options or preferences and find a check box or slider to manage that, didn't know there was a system wide Win 10 performance>quality thing?

3) I am intrigued to here about your different boot modes however, that's something I haven't heard of or new could be done. Typically when I get to 'work' (ie photo editing or gaming ) I close every application down that doesn't need to be running, browsers etc. It sounds you take it one step further, how are you able to make a mode to boot that strips things of all necessity, and how when you reboot do you choose which one to boot into? Is it as simple as creating a new User? Sign Out, Sign In with a different User that has less 'start up' apps and programs installed? (sorry my naivety).

4) How to make sure processor scheduling is set to applications and not background tasks? Occasionally during a gaming session I will get a severe temporary 'cpu lag/stutter', I have my suspicions it's Win 10 doing a background thing, prolly Defender doing its thing at an annoying time..

Thanks for your help, if you lack time to help me further that's ok, I'll google and see what I come up with... but...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor I

Hi BB,

I'll update this post when I have time to put a more complete response together.

I forgot to mention that I have no commercial anti virus or malware prevention program installed, other than Windows Defender, and I use a VPN whenever I'm surfing.

For the best performance and program priority go to the control panel and open the System widget. On the left side you should see Advanced System Settings link.

Click that and the System Properties appear. Select the Settings button

A Performance Options window should appear with three tabs: Visual Effects, Advanced, Data Execution Prevention

You should be on the Visual Effects Tab

First stop: Select the "Adjust for best performance"

*NOTE: Do not use the OK button until all the steps are compete*, but you can use the Apply button until the last step.

On the Visual Effects tab:

• Select the Radio Button: "Adjust for best performance"
  • Select the Advanced Tab
  • The default is Programs and you should keep it there.

Select OK

Moving the Page File and creating a symbolic link for the Swap File to a different drive is a much longer explanation and will have to wait.

BBL

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Excellent hand holding! Just what I like =)

I look forward to parts 2, 3 and 4 hehe

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor I

0 Kudos