cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WSege
Beginner

Performance problem with Samsung 970 Pro on NUC7i7DNKE

Hi,

Just bought an Intel NUC7i7DNKE & Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe SSD.

I'm not getting the advertised seq. read performance of 3,500MB/s... fastest that I can achieve is 1.8GB/s (about 50% of the performance)

Installed Windows 10 Home (fully updated)

Updated Bios of NUC to latest version 047

Installed Samsung NVMe driver

SSD came already delivered with latest firmware

M.2 slot seems to be using PCIe 3.0 using 4 lanes (displayed in BIOS & Samsung Magician)

Any idea what might be wrong with the system? (I also tried Linux, same problem -> max throughput 1.8GB/s)

Cheers,

Werner

0 Kudos
28 Replies
linuxium
New Contributor III

This issue was also reported here:

Given that is has now been confirmed that installing the Samsung NVMe driver makes no difference and that Intel only 'supports' Windows can someone from Intel now please respond?

idata
Community Manager

Hello Smirry,

I understand that you are currently experiencing problems with the SSD as it is not running at the speed it should.

Regarding this, I would like to know if you have actually tried running the "Performance Benchmark" option located at the bottom of "Samsung Magician's" window. This is because the software was actually made to test the Samsung* drives. Please run the benchmark and attach screenshots of the reported read/write speed.

Regards,

David V
WSege
Beginner

Hi David,

I tried several benchmark utilities, all came up with 1.8 GB/s, please find the screenshot of Magician:

I have the impression that only 2 out of 4 PCIe 3.0 lanes are being used (though it says PCIe 3.0 x4 in BIOS), this would explain half the bandwidth. But I could be wrong...

Best regards,

Werner

idata
Community Manager

Hello Smirry,

Thank you for your response.

I understand that the different benchmark software have been giving you similar measurements. In order to help you the best, please provide me with the Intel ® System Support Utility report so that I can have more information, please refer to the link below in order to download the Intel ® System Support Utility:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

Once the report is created, please attach it to the thread.

Regards,

David V
WSege
Beginner

Hi David,

Please find the requested SSU report in attachment.

Br,

Werner

idata
Community Manager

Hello Smirry,

Thank you for your response.

I have sent you a private message to gather more information about your setup and some specific details of the unit.

I hope to hear from you.

Regards,

David V
WSege
Beginner

Hi David,

Do you have an update concerning this issue?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Werner

idata
Community Manager

Hello Smirry,

Thank you very much for your patience.

We have been doing some testing and running some diagnostics, and indeed, the problem is present as well, currently we are working on a fix in order to have the SSD running at the full write & read speed. However, I cannot tell when the fix will be released, I can just assure you that we are working on it and expect a resolution any time soon.

I hope this helps and I apologize for not having an immediate solution.

Regards,

David V
WSege
Beginner

Hi David,

Thanks for the update, I'm looking forward to the fix.

Br,

Werner

SOvch
Beginner

Hello Intel,

Are there any updates? I have exactly the same issue but with EVO 970 (not Pro) - I get only half of advertised speeds.

Also I'm curious is it a Samsung 970 only issue? Should I try other brands/models?

Thanks in advance.

WSege
Beginner

Hi Intel,

Any idea when the fix will be released?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Werner

Ronny_G_Intel

Hello All,

I apologize for the delay in getting back to the community with news about this issue.

The BIOS version 52 that addresses this issue will be available sometime this week (hopefully tomorrow), please keep an eye on Download Center:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/130393/Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC7i7DNHE Downloads for Intel® NUC Kit NUC7i7DNHE

Regards,

Ronny G

WSege
Beginner

Hi *,

I can confirm that BIOS version 52 fixes the issue, thanks for the support Intel!

Cheers,

Werner

idata
Community Manager

I notice the BIOS instructions for V52 says to use the jumper method for updating. But there is a V57 now, and those instructions do not say use the jumper method. So, if I am coming from a pre V52 bios, and I go straight to V57, do I need to use the jumper method?

idata
Community Manager

Hello sfatula

Thank you for posting in the Intel® community.

You have to perform the BIOS to 0052 with the BIOS Jumper method and after that, you can use any BIOS method that you preferred( unless in the release notes you find instructions to do it with a specific method); complete the BIOS update incrementally.

Allow me to share the BIOS Update Instructions for Intel® NUC for reference.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005636/mini-pcs.html https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005636/mini-pcs.html

In case you have a bios version prior the V52 please update the BIOS incrementally.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

idata
Community Manager

Ok, so, I cannot do that. As the machine came with a very old BIOS, I had read the release notes and nowhere did they say what you wrote. So, the machine was already updated to V56, which was the latest at the time it was updated, I cannot update back to V52 as the release notes say V53 is the oldest you can go back to.

So, would a BIOS recovery to any later version also apply the M.2 patches? If not, how can I get the M.2 fixes?

idata
Community Manager

Hello sfatula

Thank you for the information.

Based on the release notes you would not be able to downgrade the bios as you have mentioned.
  • What kind of issue he is facing on the Intel® NUC?
  • What steps were taken to get to BIOS V56?
Regards,

Leonardo C.

idata
Community Manager

I am getting half speed disk io just like the other posts. To get to V56, ran the F7 bios update method to get to V56. I tried backing up to V53, then doing the jumper update technique on the off chance that would work, reset all settings, updated back to 57 now, and, still half speed. Surely you did not just put the fix into only V52!?

idata
Community Manager

Hello sfatula

Thank you for the information, in order to assist you with the current status on your case I recommend creating a new thread to isolate your satiation and system configuration, please make sure you add the information of the system model and specs (Intel® NUC model, SSD model), detail information of the problem that you are having, plus all the information that you have added to this thread, so we can get more information about the problem.

Thank you; hope to hear from you soon.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

DPers1
New Contributor III

I ran this benchmark in Samsung Magician while also streaming FULL HD Golf via internet. When doing nothing else on the NUC7i5 250GB EVO 970 I have gotten read at 3544MB and write about the same as now.

Also I have my 250GB partitioned 80GB for Windows and the rest for DATA and benchmarks give better performance on larger drives.