Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Novice

Please HELP. Questions are attached as an appendix.

0 Kudos
17 Replies
Highlighted
Super User

What questions? Describe your problem, in detail.

Also, download, run, and ATTACH the results of this utility:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

Then, an Intel support engineer can assist you.

Doc

Highlighted
Novice

Hi Al.Hill. I have now run the utility and the result, I want you to send it to Intel support engineer. And if they can see what my problem is. Thanks in advance. Sincerely, John Dahl Clausen Den fre. 30. aug. 2019 kl. 13.12 skrev Intel Forums < supportreplies@intel.com>:
Highlighted
Super User

You did not attach the file to this thread. Use the PAPERCLIP under the toolbar to attach the text file.

Also, the support engineers will get to this thread in turn. You did not describe your issue. So, to avoid further delay, attach the file and provide a description of your problem.

Doc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Dear Intel

Unfortunately, I have had a big problem. I bought an Intel Nuc i7-7567U CPU @ 3.50 GHz.

With installed memory of 32.0 GB. I bought it because I was told that it would be my best choice that I could use to make 4K video edits. But unfortunately it sometimes freezes when I edit my videos.

I asked for different forums in the world to get help. I downloaded your program at https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/gaming/overclocking-intel-processors.html

After reading on your website that you wrote, quote: Intel® XMP helps you overclock 1 RAM, including choosing Intel® technology-based DDR4 memory, by unlocking performance that exceeds standard specifications. Then my PC will not boot. The start button lights up and flashes, then restarts it all the time?

I have tried to clear the CMOS, reset the BIOS manually using the jumper. But unfortunately this does not work. I have tried to flash the bio file “BN0079.bio” from you, on the USB connector. Nothing helps?

I have tried all the help I could find on your website. The only way I can get in is to start my NUC, by holding down F7, then F10, and selecting boot for windows. Then I have installed all new drivers from INTEL etc. So they're Okay. But nothing helps.

I hope Intel can and will help me?

Yours sincerely

John Dahl Clausen

from Denmark.

My E-mail: bowhunt.jdc@gmail.com

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

You cannot overclock your processor. Only X and K processors can be overclocked. The XMP tool is not for your processor.

Information on your nuc:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/95068/intel-nuc-board-nuc7i7bnb.html

You are on windows 10 1803. You need to upgrade to 1903.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

The latest bios for your nuc is 0080. download it, and after installing restore defaults (F9).

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28990/BIOS-Update-BNKBL357-86A-

You should not include your personal email in a thread on a public forum, unless you want to get spammed.

Personally, I think you need to start with a clean install and NOT use XMP, as it is not for your processor.

And, you need to be on the latest Graphics driver for your nuc.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28991/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers?v=t

Good luck

Doc

Highlighted
Super User

Also, the freezing could be the result of your video editing software, or bad memory.

This is your memory:

https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Intel/nuc7i7bnb

Have you tried other known good memory?

Doc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Should you want to do a clean install, after backing up your data, you can use this procedure:

https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P00004Icw2bSAB/problems-with-microsoft-supplied-windows-10-i...

And, we will assume you are using only Windows Defender as your anti-virus.

Doc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Dear Intel.

I have now installed the new bios for my Nuc i7-7567U – 3,50Ghz, which is 0080.

I have updated my windows 1803 to 1903.

You write that I must not use XMP for my model.

But where can I see in my Intel Visual Bios if I have used XMP? So I can disable it.

Nothing has changed. I have now spent several weeks solving my problem.

My exact model number of your memory is from CRUCIAL nr. CT16G 4SFD824A C16FHD1 C16GB DDR4-2400 SODIMM 1,2V CL17. I have 2 pieces. A total of 32 GB of RAM.

I am giving up, but I appreciate your help. If I had money for it then I bought another model.

But if I can't get it to start normally again, then I have to use Boot method F7 then F10 and boot from Windows Boot Manager.

Sincerely, John from Denmark.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

F2 during power-up will get you into the BIOS.

Doc

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello JClau4

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In order to better assist you, could you please provide or confirm the following information?

1- We would like to know if you were able to try the recommendations provided by Al.Hill (clean install of the Operating System, testing with different memory RAM or running a scan Software on the RAM sticks to discard errors?).

2- Please confirm the exact tool you used to enabled Intel® XMP and details regarding the steps you followed:

3- Could please provide more details on how you are able to boot up into Windows? I noticed you mentioned you used F7 (for BIOS update) and then F10 (boot order), however, these methods have different purposes. Do you mean you have to perform a BIOS update/recovery before using F10 Boot order option?

4- You may try loading BIOS defaults and confirm Memory Settings are set to "Automatic", please follow these steps:

1. Press F2 during boot to enter BIOS Setup.
  2. Press F9 to set defaults.
  3. Press F10 to save and exit BIOS.

Or

1. When the Intel NUC is off, press and hold the power button for approximately 3 seconds, and then release. The Power Button menu should appear.
  2. Press F2 to enter BIOS Setup.
  3. Press F9 to restore BIOS factory default values.
  4. Press F10 to save and exit BIOS Setup.

Once BIOS defaults are loaded, please access the BIOS and refer to Performance >> Memory >> General Settings >> make sure "Automatic" is selected.

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Hello Andrew G.

Yes I have made all recommendations from Al.Hill. I have installed a clean installation of the Operating System. I have tested with other RAM and or running a scan Software on the RAM sticks to discard errors-

There were no problems with my RAM. They worked as they should. I used yours Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU). I thought I could overclock My Nuc.  But I could not overclock My Nuc. The software told me after restart that it could not change anything and went back to normal. At this point, I have no problem starting up. It came suddenly after a few days. Because I wanted to overclock. Is because my Nuc sometimes freezes when I edit my videos. And especially at Rendering. I bought this Nuc, special for making videos, therefore also 32 GB RAM. I obviously spent money on the wrong model. Al.Hill told me afterwards that because my Nuc was a U model, I couldn't make a overclock. Unfortunately, I did not know this.

It is not enabled for XMP. All the latest driver, as well as new bios 0080, are installed from Intel for exactly my model. When the Intel NUC is off, so I press and hold the power button for approximately 3 seconds, and then release. But the The Power Button menu does not appear. I've done everything you've written as well as what Al.Hill told me. Nothing helps. I can start when I press and hold the power button for approximately 3 seconds, and then release. and press F2 as soon as possible and hold down the button until a menu pops up. Then just F10 and then boot into Windows Manager. This is the only way it can be done. If I have a update for my video program and want a restart. Then it will not restart automatically, but will fail. I must then start again in the same way as I just told. Soon I will not know what else to do as it is very frustrating. If I had the money for it, I bought another model. I bought it in May 2018.

I find it very difficult to do without it, as I fly with Drone and use my Nuc mainly for video editing.

Thanks in advance, Yours sincerely JCLau4

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello JClau4,

Thank you for your response.

Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU) is valid for specific Intel® Core™ Processors, Product Line "K", "X" and "Extreme" Series. The valid products for Intel® XTU can be checked in the below link at the bottom section of the webpage:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24075/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU-

Even though Intel® XTU may show that changes cannot be saved after a restart, it can change values in real-time, considering all the troubleshooting steps performed so far, the issue indicates that something happened and affected the Intel® NUC at the moment of applying the manual changes made (overclocked or underclocked) with Intel® XTU.

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Hello Andrew G.

I have understood this. But are there any ways to get back to normal? If you think you can no longer help me, I would like to know.

If not? Then I have only two options. Either I have to live with it or send my Nuc back where I bought it.

And they must then send it to Intel for repair. What do you think I should do Andrew G. ???

Yours sincerely JClau4 from Denmark.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello JClau4,

You can try the following steps to see if a BIOS recovery using the latest .bio file helps with the issue, please follow these steps:

1. Download the file BN0080.bio file.
  2. Copy the recovery file (*.BIO) to a USB device.
  3. Shut down the computer and unplug the AC power adapter. 
  4. Please remove the hard drive. 
  5. Open the chassis and look for the BIOS security jumper, it is yellow and is close to the RAM slots. 
  6. Please remember the position that it has, should be on the 1-2 pin. 
  7. Remove the BIOS security jumper.
  8. Plug the USB device into a USB port of the target computer and turn it on.
  9. Wait 2–5 minutes for the recovery process to complete.
  10. The computer turns off when the recovery process is complete, or it prompts you to turn it off.
  11. Remove the USB device.
  12. Replace the BIOS security jumper.
  13. Close the chassis.
  14. Restart the computer. Check BIOS version in BIOS and let me know the outcome.

NOTE:

We recommend doing the BIOS Recovery using only one stick of memory RAM plugged and wired keyboard/mouse; without the internal SSD, no external SSD/HDD connected, nor other USB thumb drives, adapters, etc.

Also, another component you may check is the hard drive (HDD or SSD), for instance, you may contact the manufacturer and run a scan or diagnostic using the tools they provide. Or you may try testing with another HDD/SSD.

Hope this helps.

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Hello Andrew G.

I really appreciate you trying to help me. :) I've done exactly what you've written for me.

File BN0080.bio has been reinstalled via USB device. After this, my NUC starts up, but after some sec. the blue power lamp flashes and shuts down. It then starts up again, but the blue lamp flashes again and the NUC closes. The same thing happens all the time. I've tested my SSD hard drive for errors, but it's totally okay. Unfortunately, that has not helped. I can only start up as before. F2 saw F10 and windows boot manager. I don't know what else can be done ???

Sincerely, JClau4 (Denmark) 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello JClau4,

I see that after trying the BIOS recovery, unfortunately, the issue persists. In this case, considering the troubleshooting steps performed and since you tested the memory RAM and SSD, my recommendation is to contact the place of purchase and check with them regarding warranty status and options.

Should you have additional inquiries, please let me know.

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Hello Andrew G.

I have sent my Intel Nuc7i7BNH back to the vendor where I bought it. And told about my problem and sent copies of our comminaction in between us. My supplier sent it to Intel. What was wrong, I do not know, but Intel sent me a new, same model. I am pleased with your and Intel's service.

With the new one I don't have trouble freezing / going black, but it takes a long time to render my videos in 4K, but unfortunately I have to live with that. My only question to that, will I get a better use of a better external graphics card via Thunderbolt3 connection? Or will it not help on my rendering in 4K videos?

If it will help me, then what should I buy so that my model can handle this? Maybe you can give me an information or tips for this on my private mail? Then I will be extremely grateful to you.

Thanks again for your help.

Yours sincerely

JClau4

0 Kudos