Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MGorb1
New Contributor I

Power Button Menu and Secure Boot

Can anyone confirm that Secure Boot become disabled when you use Boot Menu (F10) accessed through Power Button Menu?

How to check (provided you have enabled Secure Boot inside BIOS settings):

1. Power off your device.

2. Hold power button and release it after third beep but before fourth.

3. Choose: Boot Menu (F10).

4. Choose you operating system.

5. Check if system booted with Secure Boot method.

In Windows run (Win + R) msinfo32.exe and check Secure Boot state.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hello Gorbush

Thank you for joining the community.

I see that you are having questions about setting the secure boot on the Intel® NUC, allow me to help you with the inquiries.

I would like to verify with you if you have followed this steps to enable the secure boot.

1. Press F2 during the start to enter BIOS setup.
  2. Go to Advanced > Boot > Boot Configuration.
  3. In the Boot Devices pane, disable Internal UEFI Shell.
  4. Go to Advanced > Boot > Secure Boot.
  5. Enable Secure Boot, if it was originally enabled.
  6. Press F10 to save changes and exit BIOS Setup.

I would like to gather more information about the configuration you have on the computer. Please attach to this thread the TXT file the Intel® System Support Utility will generate: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

Steps to save the report:
  1. Run the utility.
  2. Click on "Scan" to get the scanned system.
  3. Once the scan is complete click on "next".
  4. Use the "save" option, save the report to your desktop.
  5. To attach a file, you must click the "Attach" option on the bottom right-hand corner of the response box.

Hope this help.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

MGorb1
New Contributor I

Thanks for the interest but I can enable Secure Boot. And most of the time it is working.

What I found strange is that it is temporary disabled when I use "Power Button Menu" and access "Boot Menu" from there.

When I use this method Secure Boot became disabled.

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hello Gorbush ,

I've tested this Secure Boot behavior in my NUC6i5SYH, Windows 10 Pro, 64bit, Latest Bios 0067.

1. I can confirm your observation that when I've booted to the Boot Menu from Power Button Menu and then I've chosen as a boot devise my UEFI SSD, the Secure Boot was disabled (OFF). Exactly as in your NUC.

2. Later booting normally (short depressing on Power Button), the Secure Boot is enabled according to bios settings.

By the way, I don't see any thing wrong here.

Leon

AlHill
Super User

Could this bios behaviour be a solution to trying to update the bios with secure boot on? It may have been easier to just turn off secure boot when in the bios, then turn it back on again.

Just a guess...

Doc

LeonWaksman
Super User

I think that you are right. That why I've written that I don't see ant thing wrong in this.

Leon

MGorb1
New Contributor I

al.hill

Could this bios behaviour be a solution to trying to update the bios with secure boot on? It may have been easier to just turn off secure boot when in the bios, then turn it back on again.

I would feel safer if BIOS update could be done only in secured environment. Otherwise almost anyone could modify firmware. Especially when we considered Management Engine known vulnerabilities.

idata
Community Manager

Hello Gorbush

Thank you for the information.

Secure Boot doesn't have anything to do with BIOS security.

You can add an Administrative password for the BIOS, but this can be overwritten by a BIOS Recovery or Clear CMOS (Intel intended this because there is no way to recover the password and several people forget the password all of the time).

Hope this help.

Best Regards,

Leonardo C.

idata
Community Manager

Hello Gorbush

I was checking your case and would like to know if you need further help. If so, please do not hesitate in replying back.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

MGorb1
New Contributor I

lw1948 wrote:

By the way, I don't see any thing wrong here.

I was just curious if that is an error or just a feature.