Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
12512 Discussions

Power Several NUC with 1 source , in 12v ?

lmon
Beginner

Hi,

I would need to have 3 NUCs and for optimizing space, only 1 power supply.

so 2 questions :

1 - can I use a 110/220V -> 12v  ? I read other thread which say finally 19V are MANDATORY

2 - I read other Threads and it is not clear to me : if I want to power 2 NUCs, which type of power I should take ?  60W for 1 , 120W for 2 , etc ? right ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

First of all, with the exception of the Pro family, a 19V input is generally required. in general, only the Pro family NUCs have this ability to run with 12V supplies. Secondly, the power requirements differ from one model to another, so we cannot answer your second question reliably without more information. What you need to do is tell us the NUC models that you are going to be using and we can go form there.

...S

lmon
Beginner

Hi @n_scott_pearson , Thanks for your reply.

In fact, I want to build a "blade center" using NUCs, hence my research to find how I can power several NUCs with 1 power supply ( or maybe 2 ).

I would like to have something "standardized" for powering all

is it more clear ? make sense ? 

thanks

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Well, no, you aren't providing enough information.

If you are going to purchase only board-level products (i.e. not Kits or Mini PCs) - which are all from the Pro family - or you are going to purchase only Kits/Mini PCs exclusively from the Pro family, then they can be powered with anything from 12V-19V. If, on the other hand, you are going to purchase a mix that includes any non-Pro family Kit/Mini PC models (i.e. from the Extreme, Enthusiast, Performance, Essential or Rugged families), then 19V will definitely be required.

Depending upon what NUC Board/Kit/Mini PC products you choose, the requirement could be 65W, 90W, 120W, 230W or even 330W. Without you answering the question of what specific Board, Kit or Mini PC products you intend to purchase, I cannot answer further. If you want to find this information yourself, Intel publishes in-depth Technical Product Specifications for all of the NUC models and you can use them to look up the power requirements of these models. You can find them here: Intel NUC Technical Product Specifications. There are also User's Guides and Integration Guides available here: Intel NUC Integration and User's Guides.

...S

lmon
Beginner

Well in fact you answered to me !

goign through the link and your answer, I was able to find this page

https://www.intel.fr/content/www/fr/fr/support/articles/000007053/intel-nuc/intel-nuc-kits.html

So, what I will do, I will "limit" the type of board to use per a number of blade to match the potential power supply.

My plan is then the following, or benefit of the forum and my 2 first questions

- no "big" 19V  power supply but many available on 24v ( sample from amazon here as ex )

lmon_0-1648715012259.png

this one supports 1200W in total

Then I will split my blade power into sub several ones with this :

lmon_1-1648715111421.png

which supports 475W

most likely, will "assign" 4 blades slot for 1 converter. I will have to pay attention not to use the ones which require the 230W, otherwise, all others are fine with 4 ( 120x4 =460 )

thanks