Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FSydn
New Contributor I

Power custom Settings not getting updated with custom BIOS update file

Hello,

I am using an Intel NUC7i5BNB,

On one of my NUC's, NUC1 was running BIOS Firmware 49 version ( BNKBL357.86A Version:0049 )

On my other NUC, NUC2, I updated the BIOS to the latest 65 version. Then followed all the steps to create a custom BIOS (myCustom65.bio) file to include the 65 major revision update along with my own customised BIOS settings using Intel Integrator Toolkit. I modified certain BIOS Power Settings and certain BIOS Boot Settings in my custom settings.

Now when I tried to update my NUC1 with myCustom65.bio, even though the update from 49 to 65 major revision was done successfully, not all of my custom settings got applied.

Only the BIOS Boot custom settings were applied, but the BIOS Power custom settings did not get applied.

Please let me know what I need to do to ensure that all of my custom settings gets applied with my update file.

Thanks a lot.

Regards,

FST

0 Kudos
17 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Thank you very much for taking the time to reach the Intel Communities Team, FSTech. I will do my best to assist you further.

In order for me to assist you better, please provide me with the .txt file that the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- System Support Utility will generate. To attach a file, you must click the "Attach" option on the bottom right-hand corner of the response box.

Furthermore, I would like to know which are the changes that you are performing to the custom BIOS. In addition, which is the version of the Intel® Integrator Toolkit that you are using?

Antony S.

idata
Community Manager

Hello, FSTech.

I would like to know if you still need assistance. If so, please do not hesitate to reply to this thread.

Antony S.
FSydn
New Contributor I

Hi Antony,

I do still need your assistance. I am using Intel Integrator Toolkit 6.1.8.

The BIOS Power Settings I am modifying are

- S3 Indicator Blinking/Fade

- S5 Indicator Color

- Ready Mode Blinking/Fade

- Ring LED

Problem 1:

All of the above custom Power settings don't get applied when I upgrade from BIOS Firmware 49 version to my 'custom65' version

(built using ITK6.efi –b –x custom65.bio –ib BN0065.bio –ic –il myLogo.jpg)

Problem 2:

I also tried to first install Intel's official 65 version as it is and then tried to upgrade to my 'custom65' version. In this case, except for "S5 Indicator Color", rest of my custom Power settings get applied with the update. So even with the same major revision number certain custom settings are still not getting updated.

So my question still remains, what should I do to ensure that all of my custom Power settings get applied with my update file ?

I haven't had the time to download the System Support Utility and provide you the details you asked for. However, it should be simple enough, for you to replicate this problem, as I have described above.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Anup

idata
Community Manager

Hello FSTech,

Thank you for your response.

I will attempt to reproduce this issue to provide additional information about this issue.

Also, please attach the Intel® System Support Utility report.

Wanner G.
idata
Community Manager

Hello FSTech,

I would like to add more information about this issue.

In this case, we recommend you to perform a BIOS recovery update for version 0065 and then apply your custom BIOS one more time.

You can follow these instructions.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005532/mini-pcs.html

Wanner G.
idata
Community Manager

Hello FSTech,

Were you able to perform a BIOS recovery update?

We will be glad to assist you if you still need any assistance.

Wanner G.
FSydn
New Contributor I

Hi Wanner,

Thanks for your suggestion, but unfortunately BIOS Recovery update didn't resolve my issue. I did a recovery update using BN0065 version, then flashed my custom BIOS (a modified BN0065), but it behaved same as before i.e. one of my custom Power Setting did not get applied.

To be specific, the S5 Indicator Color is not getting updated from its default value (Amber) to my custom value (Blue), even though this change is part of my custom BIOS update file (built using ITK6.efi –b –x mycustom65.bio –ib BN0065.bio –ic –il myLogo.jpg)

For your reference, below are my custom settings on top of 65 version. All of my custom settings, except the S5 Indicator Color, are getting carried over successfully with my custom BIOS.

BIOS 65 version Modified Settings

BIOS Settings

Default Value

New Value

Boot

Display F2 to Enter Setup

Yes

No

Display F7 to Update BIOS

Yes

No

Display F10 to Enter Boot menu

Yes

No

Power

S3 Indicator Blinking/Fade

0.5Hz

0.25Hz

<td style="border-top: none; border-bot...
Chris_V_Intel

I have confirmed your issue.

I am opening a bug report and as soon as I have more information I will share it here.

FSydn
New Contributor I

Thanks a lot.

Waiting to hear from you soon with a resolution.

Chris_V_Intel

Just wanted to let you know that we're still working on this and we haven't forgotten about you.

Will let you know as soon as possible.

FSydn
New Contributor I

That earned you a bag full of brownie points.

You are in for a great review for your Customer Service, after you have sorted out my problem.

Chris_V_Intel

Chris_V_Intel

I apologize for the wait.

Try adding -id after -ic (though i don't think it matters where it is).

FSydn
New Contributor I

That didn't work either.

I was running BN0065.bio and I was able to create a custom BIO file using the -id flag which I believe is the Custom Defaults. But the S5 Indicator Color setting did not get carried over after flashing this custom BIO file.

(Extra Information: Then I upgraded to BN0068.bio and then tried to build again another custom bio using the -id flag, but this reported an error saying -id flag was invalid)

Also, I realised recently that the same problem occurs with "Supervisor Password" setting i.e. it does not get carried over in Custom BIO updates. This is another show-stopper for our needs.

Chris_V_Intel

Bugger. Thanks for letting us know.

I have opened a bug report on the S5 indicator color as we are able to reproduce that here. However, we didn't have any issues carrying the password over.

I'll post here when I have an update for the indicator issue.

FSydn
New Contributor I

Hi,

About Supervisor password, I have logged a separate issue for Supervisor password here -

You said it worked for you, so please let me know in that post what different you did compared to what I did. I would love to get it working for me.

Thanks !

Chris_V_Intel

I've sent you a PM.