cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SergeNantes
Beginner

Problem Installing eGPU on NUC7i5BNB

Hi,

I have a problem with an EGPU which I want to connect to my intel NUC7i5BnB, via the Thunderbolt port and a Razor Core device.

I follow the procedures I found on the Intel Help Center and in this community group. But my External Graphic Card (Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060) cannot be used : It appears OK in the Device Manager, but is offline, and I can't switch to it with the Graphic Configuration in Windows. Nvidia Control Panel also don't open  (crash on opening).

I have the more recent version of Bios and Windows 10. I also updated the ThunderBolt Driver to 1.41 and installed the ThunderBolt Control Center (saw that my Razor Core is connected and OK...).

But I can't update the Thunderbolt firmware with version 33.  I have an 0x208 error when I launch the update program (fwupdate tool).

May be this is the problem. But I don't know what to do now… I already read this Intel Support Page about the 0x208 error ( https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000026171/intel-nuc/intel-nuc-kits.html) but it don't help me since I have done exactly what  is suggested...

I attached an SSU report file.

Thank you for your help

0 Kudos
17 Replies
Maria_R_Intel

Hello SergeNantes,

Thank you for posting on the Intel* Community.

We want to recommend the driver Version: 66. This driver is required if you plan to connect Thunderbolt devices.

How to install 

1. Download this driver package and unzip it to a folder on the Intel NUC. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28735/Thunderbolt-3-DCH-Driver-for-Windows-10-for-Intel-NU...
  2. Connect a Thunderbolt device to the Thunderbolt port.
  • Uninstall the existing Thunderbolt Software. This should also uninstall the driver. Open the Start menu and click Settings.
    • Select Apps & features.
    • Select Thunderbolt Software and click Uninstall.
  1. Open Device Manager by pressing the Windows key + X, and then select Device Manager.
  2. You should see an error on a Base System Driver in the Other Devices category.
  3. Double-click the Base System Driver and go to the Driver tab.
  4. Click the Update Driver button.
  5. Browse to and select the folder where you unzipped the driver package.
  6. Click Next to install the driver.
  7. After the driver installation is complete, close Device Manager.

You'll also need the Thunderbolt Control Center software (available on the Microsoft Store) to approve and manage Thunderbolt devices. 

For the firmware 33, can you please try again and follow the below steps:

• If you receive any error message, please attach a screenshot to the case.

**Please follow the steps in the order recommended (first the Thunderbolt driver)

Best regards,

Maria R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

SergeNantes
Beginner

Hello Maria,

Thanks for your help,

I tried again, as you wrote (first the driver version 66, then the firmware 33). But when I launch the FwUpdateTool for the firmware 33 update, I have a messagebox with error 0x208 (screenshot attached).

One only difference with your procedure : I don't see any "Thunderbolt Software" to uninstall in my "Apps and Features" (only the ThunderBol Control Center, which I uninstall, but it's not so important I think). Instead, I unstalled "ThunderBolt Controller 15D9" and "Thunderbolt HSA Component"  in the Device Manager. And there I get the Error with the "Base System Driver", and so on. I verified the driver release, which seemed OK (second screenshot).

What can I do next ?

Thank you.

SergeNantes

Maria_R_Intel

Hello SergeNantes,

Thank you for let us know.

Can you please try the below troubleshooting?

• Go into BIOS and have VT-d disabled. This option under Advanced>Security, set "Intel Virtualization Technology for I/O (VT-d)" to disable
  • Go into BIOS and set Thunderbolt Security Level to "Legacy".

I'll be waiting to know the outcome.

Best regards,

Maria R.

SergeNantes
Beginner

Hello,

Thank you again for you help.

I did as you suggested with the two Bios parameters.

Then I unstall graphic card and Thunderbolt driver, and retry from the beginning (your first post).

Unfortunaly, the problem is always there : I can't install the Thunderbolt firmware 33 (error 0x208) and my graphic card is installed, but inactive.

A little bit disappointed, is there a last hope ?

Best regards,

SergeNantes

Maria_R_Intel

Hello SergeNantes,

Thank you for the information.

I would like to check this internally. I'll post back as soon as I have any updates to share.

Best regards,

Maria R.

SergeNantes
Beginner

Hello Maria,

Thank You.

I tried a fresh Windows install from scratch, on a new disk. And I have the same problem.

I wait for your internal investigations.

Best regards,

SergeNantes

Ronny_G_Intel

Hi SergeNantes,

The error message 0x208 that you are getting when running the FW update is probably happening because the system is not recognizing any Thunderbolt device attached. You have to have a Thunderbolt device connected to the NUC in order to run the FW update and it seems the eGPU is not being properly recognized. See the following URL for further information: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000026171/intel-nuc/intel-nuc-kits.html

Do you have any other Thunderbolt device that you can try with the NUC? 

Have you tested the eGPU connected to a different system? Does it work?

Thanks,

Ronny G

SergeNantes
Beginner

Hi Ronny,

Thank you for your reply.

I haven't any other PC with a thunderbolt port, so I can't verify my eGPU with another configuration.

But I tried to connect another device to the thunderbolt port (Dock Belkin), with success. And it was still impossible to update the firmware to level 33. Always the "0x208" error. Even with a Windows fresh install and a clearly functionnal Thunderbolt device connected. Of course I follow the procedure detailed in the support site to do that.

I supposed my eGPU will not function properly until this firmware update.

I hope you will find something I missed...

(Attached File : screen capture from Thunderbolt Control Center, OK with the Belkin Dock)

Best Regards,

SergeNantes

Ronny_G_Intel

Hi SergeNantes,

Allow me a couple of additional days to run this issue by the product team and I will get back to you.

Thanks,

Ronny G

Ronny_G_Intel

Hi everyone,

I apologize for the delay in getting back to you.

For error Thunderbolt firmware 33 (error 0x208) on NUC7i5BNB I would recommend the steps below:

1. Download the legacy (non-DCH) thunderbolt driver from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27796 and unzip the package.
  2. Go to Device Manager and Unhide devices under the View menu.
  3. Go to the System Devices category and double-click on the Thunderbolt Controller to open its properties
  4. On the Driver tab, click to Uninstall Device
  5. On the dialog box that pops up, check the box to also Delete the driver software for this device.
  6. Click Uninstall
  7. Run Setup.msi from the driver download

Then plug in a device and make sure that the Thunderbolt Controller appears in Device Manager. Try running the firmware update again. Also try the eGPU with this legacy driver.

Please let me know the results.

Regards,

Ronny G

SergeNantes
Beginner

Hi everyone,

Thank you Ronny for your reply.

I installed the legacy Thunderbolt Driver (non-DCH),  and then tried to update the Thunderbolt Firmware 33.

The Update tool launched, that's better. But I get another error message after I selected the bin file for the update ("WMI : not found", see the attachment)

I found a thread in the Community with this error, it was with a Windows Server 2019 , and not solved (I work with Windows 10, 64 bits 2004 version ).

I made other experiments : I tried my NVidia graphic card in a desktop PC (without a eGPU). It's functionnal. And I tried also a basic AMD Radeon Graphic card RX550 in the eGPU, connected to the Intel NUC. And that's also OK, with the old firmware...

If anybody has an idea about how to update successfully this Thunderbolt firmware, let me know...

Best regards,

SergeNantes

Ronny_G_Intel

Hi SergeNantes,

The WMI error can happen due to WMI repository corruption. I have done some extra testing and I had no issues with this configuration but I usually use a fresh Operating System to avoid previous troubleshooting for other issues to affect the testing that I am doing.

I would recommend reinstalling a fresh copy of the Operating System. I agree, this could be painful so I looked for some Microsoft troubleshooting and found this: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/wmisdk/wmi-troubleshooting but I have not tried it and can't really do much with it since I cant replicate the same error message.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Ronny G

mallbritton
Beginner

After installing Intel Firmware update 6.2.8319.85 this morning I am having exactly the same problem with my eGPU. Nothing in this message thread has worked to fix the problem. 

What is the fix? I need this eGPU to work. 

mallbritton
Beginner

After multiple attempts to uninstall/install the Thunderbolt drivers now the port won't even show up in the device manager. 

SergeNantes
Beginner

Hi Ronny and others,

Thanks for your help.

The firmware update was in fact already launched from a fresh Windows 10 installation, made for this only purpose.

May be this WMI error  is due to the unusual driver version : I saw it was a version for Windows Server 2012. But we already know the firmupdate is also impossible with the recent driver version (66).

As I found a work-arounds solution with an AMD Radeon graphic card, which worked well with my old Thunderbolt firmware version, I decide to stop there the investigation.

Thanks a lot, again.

SergeNantes

Ronny_G_Intel

Hi SergeNantes

Thanks for getting back to the community with your feedback, I guess I was not that very helpful with my recommendations but I am glad that you found a workaround to get your NUC + AMD* Radeon* Graphics card to work.
I will close the internal case that was created for this community issue but I will do some more internal research on this particular driver/firmware combination.

Thanks and have a great day.

Regards,
Ronny G

Maria_R_Intel

Hello SergeNantes,

Thank you for let us know, please let me check this internally, expect a response soon.

Best regards,

Maria R.