Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Problem with computer locking up

We recently installed six BOXNUC6CAYH. They are identical with regard to RAM, hard drive, installed software, etc. Thus far we have had three of them fail. One had no sound card, one lost the network adapter, and a third had a failed USB port.

I have a recurring issue with one of them timing out/locking up after ten minutes or so of no use/keyboard input/mouse activity. The only recovery is to hard boot the device. I am REALLY not okay with doing this because of registry and other software corruption issues.

Sleep time for the monitor and CPU are set at "never".

We had a similar issue with another NUC and our IT person made some sort of changes in BIOS or something but he cannot remember what he did.

I see that others have had similar issues with ten-minute time out but the problem was never resolved and they abandoned the NUC for an AMD based device.

That is not an option for me. Has anyone had this problem and found a solution for it?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
Employee

Hello CFunk1, Thank you for posting on the Intel ® communities. First, I would like to know if after the changes were done you tried putting the settings back to default in the BIOS, you can do this by accessing the BIOS and pressing the option showing in the BIOS, once done, save the changes and exit to see if the issue persists. Also, make sure you have the latest BIOS version installed in the systems, you can find the latest BIOS version in the link below: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28478/BIOS-Update-AYAPLCEL-86A-?product=95062 For instructions of how to do the BIOS update, please check the link below: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005532/mini-pcs.html Also, please provide me with the following to check for any possible compatibility problems: SSD/HDD model: RAM model: Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

See following for RAM and SSDD info But note also EXTREMELY IMPORTANT OTHER INFORMATION. Please read all the way to my signature RAM - Timetec Hynix IC Apple 16GB Kit (2x8GB) DDR3L 1600MHz PC3L-12800 SODIMM Memory SSDD - TC SUNBOW 120GB 128GB SSD 2.5 Inch SATAIII 6GB / s Internal Solid State Drive Note that we put six (6) of the NUCs in service. Three have failed. The lock up after ten minutes occurred on two units and one was somehow corrected. ALL OF THE NUCs ARE IDENTICAL in terms of hardware and installed software. That said, it is extremely important to point out that our IT person has installed LITERALLY dozens of these devices without a single problem. I am stumped Charlie Funk Chief Executive Officer Contributing Editor – Travel Weekly Magazine (615) 833-0922 (800) 888-0922 750 Old Hickory Blvd. Bldg. 1 Suite 120 Brentwood, TN 37027 Member Cruise Lines International Association Hall of Fame www.jcp.travel<http://www.jcp.travel/> Blog: www.outtaherejcp.blogspot.com<http://www.outtaherejcp.blogspot.com/> Follow us on Facebook and Twitter All travelers must have acceptable positive proof of identification and/or citizenship. Those 16 years old or older or traveling internationally must have (1) a passport BOOK valid for six (6) months beyond the planned return date or in certain restricted instances (2) a government issued photo ID accompanied with a certified copy of your birth certificate. Non certified or hospital copies will not be accepted. Those under the age of 16, in certain restricted instances, may travel using a certified copy of his or her birth certificate. Non certified or hospital copies will not be accepted. All rates subject to change until a reservation is made. Terms and conditions of the supplier providing travel services apply to this reservation. Changes to or cancellation of a deposited reservation may be subject to penalties.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

Hello CFunk1, Thank you for your response. Thank you for the hardware information, I want to know if you tried the suggestions given regarding the BIOS configuration of the units you have mentioned. 1 - Take the BIOS settings back to default using the option in the Visual BIOS menu. 2 - Update the BIOS to the latest version if applicable. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I have not attempted these steps yet can am reticent to do so unless our IT person specifically approves me doing it or does it himself. The nature or our business is such that it is necessary to carve out time blocks for these activities. Because the faulty unit failed (NIC disappeared) in less than 30 days it has been returned for refund and a replacement ordered. The SSDD and RAM from that unit has been transplanted to the new NUC The drive will be wiped clean and the OS reinstalled from ground zero. We will assure that the latest BIOS version is installed. Then all the other software will be reinstalled. Numerous posts on this forum attest to the same issues that we have encountered. Our IT person is dumbfounded with the failure rate we have since he has installed literally dozens of NUCs with no similar issues. I do not accept that the issue stems from some software we are using because we have six of these devices and there is zero, no, correlation of any installed app and failure in these completely identical units. Charlie Funk Chief Executive Officer Contributing Editor – Travel Weekly Magazine (615) 833-0922 (800) 888-0922 750 Old Hickory Blvd. Bldg. 1 Suite 120 Brentwood, TN 37027 Member Cruise Lines International Association Hall of Fame www.jcp.travel<http://www.jcp.travel/> Blog: www.outtaherejcp.blogspot.com<http://www.outtaherejcp.blogspot.com/> Follow us on Facebook and Twitter All travelers must have acceptable positive proof of identification and/or citizenship. Those 16 years old or older or traveling internationally must have (1) a passport BOOK valid for six (6) months beyond the planned return date or in certain restricted instances (2) a government issued photo ID accompanied with a certified copy of your birth certificate. Non certified or hospital copies will not be accepted. Those under the age of 16, in certain restricted instances, may travel using a certified copy of his or her birth certificate. Non certified or hospital copies will not be accepted. All rates subject to change until a reservation is made. Terms and conditions of the supplier providing travel services apply to this reservation. Changes to or cancellation of a deposited reservation may be subject to penalties.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

Hello CFunk1, Thank you for your response. It would be helpful to share the steps provided by me with the IT agent, this is because we need to test and see if the issue is related to a BIOS configuration. Also I would like to request an System Support Utility report from the 3 different units that are not working as intended, this report can be generated from our tool, you can refer to the link below so you can download it:  https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- Make sure to attach the created reports to this thread. I will use this information to compare the different software and hardware settings and see where the problem could be originated. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

It would be helpful to share the steps provided by me with the IT agent, this is because we need to test and see if the issue is related to a BIOS configuration. Also I would like to request an System Support Utility report from the 3 different units that are not working as intended, this report can be generated from our tool, you can refer to the link below so you can download it: Thank you for the prompt follow up. As I indicated, the failed units have been returned under warranty and I have new units in their place. I will run the report on the units that are functioning correctly In one case, what I did was put the SDD and RAM from the most recent failed unit into a new NUC. I will run the report below on this NUC and send it along with others for your comparison. Please note that effective January 8, 2019, I will work remotely on Tuesday and Wednesday of each week. I will maintain email access but will not be in the office on these days. Charlie Funk Chief Executive Officer Contributing Editor – Travel Weekly Magazine (615) 833-0922 (800) 888-0922 750 Old Hickory Blvd. Bldg. 1 Suite 120 Brentwood, TN 37027 Member Cruise Lines International Association Hall of Fame www.jcp.travel<http://www.jcp.travel/> Blog: www.outtaherejcp.blogspot.com<http://www.outtaherejcp.blogspot.com/> Follow us on Facebook and Twitter All travelers must have acceptable positive proof of identification and/or citizenship. All persons traveling by any means to or participating in a cruise that involves ANY stop or port of call in Costa Rica is REQUIRED to have a valid passport BOOK. This includes U.S. citizens. This applies even if the cruise is otherwise closed circuit. Those 16 years old or older or traveling internationally must have (1) a passport BOOK valid for six (6) months beyond the planned return date or in certain restricted instances (2) a government issued photo ID accompanied with a certified copy of his or her birth certificate. Non certified or hospital copies will not be accepted. If travel includes Costa Rica a passport BOOK is required Those under the age of 16, in certain restricted instances, may travel using a certified copy of his or her birth certificate. Non certified or hospital copies will not be accepted. If travel includes Costa Rica a passport BOOK is required. All rates subject to change until a reservation is made. Terms and conditions of the supplier providing travel services apply to this reservation. Changes to or cancellation of a deposited reservation may be subject to penalties.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

Hello CFunk1, Thank you for your response. Does that mean you are no longer experiencing problems with the new units or are you waiting for the new units to arrive? Let me know please so I can assist you further if needed. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

The new unit has been received and will be configured and placed in service this week. A backup spare was configured and put in service for the employee who was having the issues last week and the problem has not occurred again. Please note that I found a reference to the same issues occurring to other users (disappearing NIC, loss of sound, locking up, etc.) that indicated that disconnecting the NUC from the power source vs. simply shutting it down served to restore the lost functions sometimes. If we have problems arise again I will also try full power disconnect for 30 seconds and then rebooting to see if that has any effect. Question – why does disconnecting the power source have any effect on NIC, BIOS, etc.? Please note that effective January 8, 2019, I will work remotely on Tuesday and Wednesday of each week. I will maintain email access but will not be in the office on these days. Charlie Funk Chief Executive Officer Contributing Editor – Travel Weekly Magazine (615) 833-0922 (800) 888-0922 750 Old Hickory Blvd. Bldg. 1 Suite 120 Brentwood, TN 37027 Member Cruise Lines International Association Hall of Fame www.jcp.travel<http://www.jcp.travel/> Blog: www.outtaherejcp.blogspot.com<http://www.outtaherejcp.blogspot.com/> Follow us on Facebook and Twitter All travelers must have acceptable positive proof of identification and/or citizenship. All persons traveling by any means to or participating in a cruise that involves ANY stop or port of call in Costa Rica is REQUIRED to have a valid passport BOOK. This includes U.S. citizens. This applies even if the cruise is otherwise closed circuit. Those 16 years old or older or traveling internationally must have (1) a passport BOOK valid for six (6) months beyond the planned return date or in certain restricted instances (2) a government issued photo ID accompanied with a certified copy of his or her birth certificate. Non certified or hospital copies will not be accepted. If travel includes Costa Rica a passport BOOK is required Those under the age of 16, in certain restricted instances, may travel using a certified copy of his or her birth certificate. Non certified or hospital copies will not be accepted. If travel includes Costa Rica a passport BOOK is required. All rates subject to change until a reservation is made. Terms and conditions of the supplier providing travel services apply to this reservation. Changes to or cancellation of a deposited reservation may be subject to penalties.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

Hello CFunk1, Thank you for your response. I am glad to know that the issue has not occurred yet, it could be that the units were defective. To answer your question, this procedure could help since it completely drains the power out of the unit, when the power goes back in it resets all of the components back and sometimes a reset of the components could affect it as well, it is not proven however from our side that a procedure like that would allow you to see the Network card again, nevertheless it is a harmless testing step that can be tried so yes, you can try if the issue arises again. I will proceed to close this request for the time being unless you need more assistance; nevertheless, if the issue were to arise you can always contact us back and we will assist you further with any issue you may have. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos