Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CSwif1
Novice

Problems Installing W7 Pro x64 on a NUC5CPYH using W7 USB 3.0 Creator Utility

I am trying to install W7 Pro x 64 to run a program that will not run on W8 or W10. I installed W7 from the disk, but the included USB 2.0 drivers would not work on the USB 3.0 ports on this NUC. I created a bootable flash drive per instructions and downloaded and installed the Intel Windows 7 USB Creator Utility. It appeared to install properly and even mentioned that it was installing the USB 3.0 drivers.. When I installed W7 again from the flash drive, apparently the USB 3.0 drivers that Utility said it had installed, never got installed with W7 and the keyboard and mouse plugged into the USB 3.0 ports were not recognized. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JSkau
New Contributor II

If you are unable to get past initial install, see this step-by-step guide: http://codeabitwiser.com/2014/03/how-to-install-windows-7-with-only-usb-3-0-ports/ How to Install Windows 7 with only USB 3.0 Ports

The example in the guide is of an installation of Windows 7 Pro, so it should be pretty straight forward just following that. This worked well for me.

Regards.

Jan

CSwif1
Novice

Jan,

Thanks for the info. It appears that the method you suggested does not apply to the chip set in the NUC5CPYH. I am extremely curious why the Intel Windows 7 USB 3.0 Creator Utility does not work. When you run the Utility on the prepared Flash Drive image, it reports that it has installed the USB 3.0 drivers, but when you install Windows 7 from the flash drive, the USB 3.0 drivers do not install and the keyboard or mouse are not recognized. There is no way to continue the install past the first screen. There is a supposed to be an internal header on the board with 2 USB 2.0 ports, but I have no idea where to get anything that would connect to the sub-miniature connector and provide accessible USB 2.0 ports.

EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hello cswift:

Thank you for contacting the Intel® Communities.

I would like to verify if the requirements for this process are being met, this may be affecting the procedure:

-You have a valid copy of Windows 7 on ISO or DVD.

-You have Administrator access to another working computer (the Admin system) with Windows 7 or later to follow these steps.

-You have download and unzipped the Windows 7 USB 3.0 Creator Utility.

If they are met, let make sure you have the latest BIOS in your system; Also if possible/available disable xHCI from Advanced>Devices>USB

Regards,

Esteban C