Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EDekk1
Novice

Problems with Distributor supplied Team Elite 8Gb DDR4 SoDIMM and BIOS 63

Just letting you all know I just had an issue with the new BIOS 63. The system shipped with 61 and we always upgrade to latest before shipping. BUT.

The system was working perfectly. Immediately after upgrading to 63, the system would take up to 30 seconds to start booting. This is unacceptable to ship to customer. I also saw a weird FV Downgrade message and something failed a few times (could not read it quick enough).

This unit has a single Team Elite 8Gb SoDIMM (DDR4 2133 code TED48G2133C15-S01). I've also tried moving it from the bottom slot to the top.

We normally always use Kingston ValueRAM which never provides an issue but for the last few builds we've used this RAM as it came as a PROMOTION from the Australian Distributor Synnex with the NUC.

This has not provided any issues in the last few builds but obviously the BIOS version of those were pre-63.

This is the first with 63 and the problem has arisen.

Now, I ran a downgrade to 62 and immediately the problem was solved. The NUC starts booting (with Intel logo) within seconds again.

Something in 63 obviously broke compatibility withe the memory (as again, was shipped with the NUC as promotion).

I suggest NOT upgrading to 63 until Intel provide a BIOS without this problem, if you use this memory.

INTEL: Please take note of this. There's an issue with 63 and the RAM provided as a promotion through your distributor. Not good enough.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hello Ramrunner,

Thank you for contacting us.

I understand that you are having issues after the latest BIOS update for your Intel® NUC Kit NUC7i3BNH and the RAM Team Elite 8Gb SoDIMM provided with it by Synnex*.

In this case I want to share that after reading your post we actually tried to replicate the issue with an Intel® NUC Kit NUC7i3BNH which is the same unit that you own.

The latest BIOS was already installed, so part of the test was to rollback the BIOS to previous versions of it, and then performed the update. We were not able to find any sort of glitch or issues with the actual BIOS.

Please consider that we do not have in our possession a Team Elite 8Gb SoDIMM like the one that came with the promotion.

This is leading us to think that the issue might be caused by the actual RAM memory and not by the BIOS.

Just for testing purposes, is there a chance to test your unit with a well-known working RAM?

I hope to hear from you soon.

Best Regards,

Diego S.

EDekk1
Novice

Yeah I spoke too soon, after the downgrade to 062, the first two cold boots were great - the usual couple of seconds, but subsequent ones hang for anywhere between 5-30 seconds (usually around the 25 mark). 1 out of 4 or 5 times I will see the ""(a7) me fw downgrade requestmespilock failed" briefly displayed. Over the last two days it's ALWAYS started though. Once past POST it is as fast as it normally would be.

Restart is fine.

Sleep in and out is fine.

Windows Memory Diagnostic is fine.

Trawling around the web this seems to be happening to a lot of other computers as well (Mainly Dell and HP by the looks). Some suggest turning off secure boot then turning back on fixes it, some say disabling C-States or AMT fixes it. Some tried all of those are and stuck with it, as nothing fixes it. I don't have secure boot turned on and wouldn't know where to find the rest of those to try.

In answer to your question for trying different RAM. I do not have any currently. I have Kingston on order (what I've used in all NUCs in the past except the last few with the promotion). Unfortunately the customer is picking it up in about 10 minutes, as he's desperate (his old computer has died). I've explained the problem and as it seems from the trawling I've done there are no other ill effects I've agreed to let the unit go. HOWEVER I'm not happy about it so I will explain to the customer that if this becomes too annoying, once the new RAM comes in I'm happy to drive over his place and replace it to try it.

If this ends up being the case, AND it fixes the problem, a quick note from you guys to my distributor (or something I can show them) would be great so I can get the Team Elite credited or replaced (preferably credited as I've never had issues with Kingston). Because I know they will test it in something else then tell me there's nothing wrong with it otherwise (sigh).

idata
Community Manager

Hello Ramrunner,

Thank you for your response.

I totally understand.

I am going to keep this thread open an monitor it next week in around 5 days, so we can wait for your customer's outcome regarding the unit's performance.

if by any chance we determine that the issue is the RAM memory after that, it will be more than a pleasure to send you an email stating what is causing the issue, so you can use it as a backup in case that you need to contact someone else's support.

In addition, remember that you can always consult our list of tested and validated peripherals here:

http://compatibleproducts.intel.com/ProductDetails/ExportPeripheralInfo?moduleName=Intel%C2%AE%20NUC... http://compatibleproducts.intel.com/ProductDetails/ExportPeripheralInfo?moduleName=Intel%C2%AE%20NUC...

I hope this helps,

Best Regards,

Diego S.

idata
Community Manager

Hello Ramrunner,

We just wanted to double check if you still need further assistance.

Please do not hesitate on contacting us back.

Best Regards,

Diego S.