cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GGrov
Novice

Programatically controlling fas on the NUC7i5/i7

Hi

Is there a way to programmatically (not through BIOS) control the behavior of the fans on these NUCs?

Gunleik

0 Kudos
4 Replies
GGrov
Novice

Follow-up.

So we are building OEM products around the NUCs for a particular use. We are in all super happy with the platform, but seem to maybe have hit a snag on fan-control.

From what google tells us, it seems there might be an undocumented API somewhere to control the fans.

Our needs are a bit "out of the ordinary" We need the fans to NOT spin up during high payload, it is better if the unit triggers a shutdown-routine than if the fans suddenly spins up. We can have the fans running full blast during idle, though, if necessary.

We have NDA's with a bunch of companies, and if we need to get into some kind of developer program with Intel to access this info, that shouldn't be a huge hurdle.

Here is how we use them:

quine (dot) no

But this could be a critical problem with the platform for us.

Fan-less isn't really going to work. We have cooling already much more efficient than original enclousure, but we need to manage the fans payload.

Passive mode helps a lot, but the problem if we set the tolerance really high (as to heat), is that they practically do the inverted thing of what we want the fans to do.

Gunleik

idata
Community Manager

Hello, Gunleik_Groven. Thank you very much for taking the time to reach the Intel Communities Team. I will do my best to assist you further.

In this case, the only way to control the fan of the NUC is through the Intel® Visual BIOS.

Antony S.
GGrov
Novice

Just to be clear:

The only way to programmatically control the fans is in fact to add hardware for fan control.

There is no way on system-level to access an API to control the fans.

The BIOS works exactly opposite of how we need it to work, so that doesn't really resolve the issue.

Just to explicitly confirm: There is in fact no way to control the fans from a system-level application?

G

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Hi Gunleik,

Let me check into this. I believe that there is a way that this can be done, but am unsure that Intel will support it being used...

...S