Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bctf1
Beginner

Proper driver install order on new NUC8I3BEH

My new NUC8I3BEH will arrive in 2 days. I have downloaded the Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC8i3BEH_Win10-64_Drivers.20190513 and the Intel Driver and Support Assistant Installer.

Should I:

a) install the Intel Driver and Support Assistant Installer first and let it download and install drivers initially for me

b) manually install drivers from the Drivers.20190513 zip file initially and then install the driver support assistant afterward to use for future driver updates

If the correct answer is option b, is there a specific recommended order for driver installation?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Option A.

Doc

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @bctf1​ ,

1. I'm installing drivers for my NUC manually. Doing so, I have better control on the installation process.
  2. Intel DSA is a nice application, but it is designed to serve many different platforms. Therefore in this forum I saw that people having from time to time different problems using DSA.
  3. Any way, since it is a new computer with new system installation, you should first manually install the Chipset Device Software https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27998/Intel-Chipset-Device-Software-for-Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC8... and then the Management Engine Driver https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28215/Intel-Management-Engine-Consumer-Driver-for-Windows-... . Once installed, reboot your computer. Do this also in case if you decided to use the DSA for drivers installation. Having this two drivers installed, enable the system to know your hardware configuration.
  4. If you decide to continue with manual update, install the other drivers downloaded from Intel. Now the sequence of installation is not important and you may reboot your NUC only once, after the last driver was installed.

Leon

bctf1
Beginner

Thank you Doc and Leon for your replies. Even though Intel DSA is more convenient, I think I will follow the manual installation option detailed by Leon unless I am convinced otherwise.

Brad

AlHill
Super User

Ok, but Joe Coleman says it should not matter.

Doc

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Hi Brad,

I too, like Leon, manually install my drivers. I really only run IDSA if I am trying to help someone with a specific issue (which isn't very often).

Leon is correct; you need to install the Chipset Device and Intel Management Engine (ME) software packages first, as other driver packages have dependencies on them. Install the Chipset Device software package first. When it asks you to reboot, choose no. Next, install the Intel ME software package. You want to reboot after this completes; if it asks for a reboot, tell it to proceed. If it doesn't ask, however, do one manually yourself.

Leon is also correct regarding the other packages; they can be installed in any order and you only need a single reboot once all of them have been installed. Along the way, if any of the installers ask for a reboot, choose no. You only need one after the last of the packages have been installed.

Hope this helps,

...S

P.S. Joe Coleman?

AlHill
Super User

"P.S. Joe Coleman?"

He is my mailman.

Doc