Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
Announcements
The Intel sign-in experience is changing in February to support enhanced security controls. If you sign in, click here for more information.
12539 Discussions

Question re Nuc 6i7kyk

Broph
Beginner

Hi all:

I own a Nuc 6i7KYK and love it. It's a few years old and was told the CPU overheated and is done. The trouble is the CPU is soldered to the motherboard and cannot be replaced. (My first question is is it possible to buy a new CPU and solder it on the Motherboard?)

If no...then

My 2nd question is if I buy a new Nuc (the same model can be had on Amazon for $300) then which parts of my old unit can I use? Can I install Windows 10 that I originally purchased on the new unit? Can I install the SSD? Can I install the original memory in the new unit? If not, which do I have to buy new? Thanks, everybody!

Steve Brophy NYC

0 Kudos
4 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

If you purchase a replacement, you should be able to move your SODIMMs and M.2 SSD(s) over to the replacement unit and just boot it up. You may have to re-activate Windows 10, but that should be it.

There are two causes for overheating, dirt blocking cooling or fan failing. Regarding the former, you should take it outside about once a month and, using a can of compressed air, blow out as much of the dirt buildup as possible. Regarding the latter, there are replacement fans available through Amazon as well.

Hope this helps,

...S

Broph
Beginner

Thanks so much for the quick reply Scott.  I have also heard something about a Bios compatibility issue between new components and old.  But I am guessing this won't be a problem if I am transferring all components from one computer to another.  And good advice on dirt blockage. It was pretty dusty. (Too small a fan, in my opinion!) To bad the CPU is soldered to the motherboard otherwise I could have just replaced the overheated CPU. Apparently, no repair guys are into soldering! ha.

Thanks again! Steve B

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

I will always recommend that you update the BIOS to the latest before you attempt to boot from your SSD. If the unit comes with an older BIOS, you may need to use the BIOS Recovery process to update it to the latest. You can ask us about this when you get the replacement system and know what BIOS it has.

...S

Broph
Beginner