Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Quiet NUC8i7HVK

Does anyone have NUC8i7HVK that is quiet? That is, with neither coil whine nor fan bearing noise?

I am on my 4th exchange unit, and so far the best I found is negligible coil whine and bearing noise only in narrow fan RPM band...

Wondering if it's worth continuing the exchanges in search of a good unit.

Thanks!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Super User

It could be that you have super-sensitive hearing.

Doc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

My first NUC8i7HVK was pretty quiet, but unfortunately due an a problem it was replaced under warranty. It took three replacements before I got one that had an almost imperceptible fan “rattle” or “buzz” at around 2000rpm for a second or so as the fans ramps up. Never noticed coil whine on any unit.

I made a small (24cm x 9cm) cooling stand with a steel mesh grill modified from the only mini laptop/iPad cooler I could find, (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07HH19BKK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 or eBay)

Fitted a slim 12volt (12mm deep) variable speed (via a multi voltage mains adapter) 120mm case fan secured using M2.5 15mm nylon screws and some 7mm bumpons to give it a little more height. I can’t remember the last time I heard the NUC fan, as it now runs pretty cool with the cooler fan running at 1000 rpm. I’ve got the option to increase it to 1200rpm or 1600 rpm for warmer weather. Looked at other retail laptop coolers but they are all far too big.

Highlighted
Super User

My NUC8i7HVK is completely quiet.

Leon​

Highlighted
Beginner

That's exactly what my current unit does too, rattle only at certain RPM.

External cooling is a great idea, thanks!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

I've took some unprofessional sound measurements for my NUC8i7HVK. Those measurements are not very accurate, however they may give some idea of the sound level generated by this NUC. For this tes I've used my Galaxy S9 with free Sound Meter application. The phone was located on my desk, in 10" distance from my NUC.

1. The background noise in my room (with NUC switched OFF): 24dB
  2. NUC in idle: 25dB
  3. Internet browsing: 25dB

Next I've started Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool and measured sound level in different steps

1. Floating Point: 35dB
  2. Math: 37dB
  3. GPU stress: 32dB
  4. CPU load: 25dB

While in idle the CPU temperature is 43 Deg C and the blowers RPM is below 650 RPM. I've not observed any rattle.

I want again emphasize that those results are not accurate and for reference only.

Highlighted
Super User

Nary a peep out of mine.

Doc

0 Kudos